Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Billy Graham

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Not bashing him. It at least I didn’t read it that way. More suggesting we not lower our own selves to makes someone else look better. He did good/great things, but a hero is just a sandwich

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    You guys should read up more on Graham and his life. While his net worth may have been $25m (that is unknown), it was largely driven by book sales. He gave away up to $600,000 a year to charities. He lived a VERY modest life - in a ranch house for most of his life. He spent little. He had books audited constantly and never once was accused of financial, marital or ethical impropriety. The only “controversy” has to do with a comment he made about Jewish people and the media in the early 70s. It was ****, and he apologized for it and asked for forgiveness. He didn’t condone hatred of homosexuals. Quite the opposite. He said it was equal with other sins of lying, greed, lust, hatred, and such. He preached scripture - what do you expect? You guys can believe whatever you like, but read up on him before you start bashing a great man. The overwhelming consensus of every credible biographer and reporter who examined his life said time & again that he was he real deal. If you find faults with him, then congrats - he was the first to say he was a sinner. Anyway, back to sports...

So, we can't say what his estimated net worth was at the time of his death, but you're allowed to say what his estimated donations to charities were? Got it... Also, I'd donate $600,000/yr. if I was making millions too. I'd rather give to a charity and get that tax write off too, and it just makes you feel good to donate to a charity all while lowering taxes owed... I don't see anyone bad mouthing him per se, and I know preached a lot of good things, but let's not act like he wasn't out to make a buck either. I think we're just calling a spade a spade, and don't get blinded by religious leaders whose organizations are more interested in your donation than you as a person. But hey, at least if you donate, there's a chance you get moved up the prayer chain.

1 Like = 1 Prayer (I'll send my PayPal or Venmo info if you want to move up my prayer chain) ;)

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can say what his net worth is if you know it. I was only saying it was estimated. As for the money, he lived a very modest and reasonable lifestyle. So, is the problem that he sold a lot of books or that he spent money on himself? The latter isn’t shown to be true. Read up on him, like I said. You may realize you are speaking about someone who deserves more respect than you are showing, especially considering that he died this week.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@amjadawgs said:
    I do my best as a Christian to not judge people and he very well may have been one of the strongest Christians of our time, but here’s a true story. My first wife had a sister, about 7-8 years old at the time who had scoliosis to the severe degree. She never got to spend not even one day of her lifetime at home. She was in a special hospital her entire life. My mother-n-law (as of then) wrote a letter to Graham asking to lift her in prayer. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that he himself likely never saw that letter, that it was likely read and responded to by someone in his PR room. But, nonetheless, the reply letter from him, in round about words said that if they would send money, she would be placed higher on the prayer chain. I’m sure he was a great man, but that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth for his ministry.

He had a net worth of $25 million. I don't consider preachers who seem to be more about money very Christian. WWJD... I think Jesus would donate almost all that money to good causes. People don't want to admit it, but most churches are there to make money. Religion, healthcare, and death are the easiest markets to take advantage of people for great financial gains. Sad, but true.

Joel Osteen.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    We can say what his net worth is if you know it. I was only saying it was estimated. As for the money, he lived a very modest and reasonable lifestyle. So, is the problem that he sold a lot of books or that he spent money on himself? The latter isn’t shown to be true. Read up on him, like I said. You may realize you are speaking about someone who deserves more respect than you are showing, especially considering that he died this week.

If your organization asks for donations to get moved up the prayer chain, I think that's enough said. I would've said the same things I'm saying now whether he's alive or deceased. Obviously we are talking about him now, as it's a current event. His passing doesn't change my opinion. And I stated that he did many good things in this world, but I'd like to think most people would do good things for this world if they had millions upon millions coming into their charitable organization.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@Teddy said:

@amjadawgs said:
    I do my best as a Christian to not judge people and he very well may have been one of the strongest Christians of our time, but here’s a true story. My first wife had a sister, about 7-8 years old at the time who had scoliosis to the severe degree. She never got to spend not even one day of her lifetime at home. She was in a special hospital her entire life. My mother-n-law (as of then) wrote a letter to Graham asking to lift her in prayer. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that he himself likely never saw that letter, that it was likely read and responded to by someone in his PR room. But, nonetheless, the reply letter from him, in round about words said that if they would send money, she would be placed higher on the prayer chain. I’m sure he was a great man, but that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth for his ministry.

He had a net worth of $25 million. I don't consider preachers who seem to be more about money very Christian. WWJD... I think Jesus would donate almost all that money to good causes. People don't want to admit it, but most churches are there to make money. Religion, healthcare, and death are the easiest markets to take advantage of people for great financial gains. Sad, but true.

Joel Osteen.

The heart tells me that guy is a snake in the grass

• Options

If your organization asks for donations to get moved up the prayer chain, I think that's enough said.

I’m very familiar with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Assn, and I’ve never, ever seen or heard of that happening before that post above. Ever. There’s no prayer pyramid or shady prayers based on money that have ever gone on there. Anyway, believe what you want.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I lived in Black mountain NC when Mr Graham's wife passed and I went to her funeral.
    It's the only time I heard Billy speak in person. Even with a frail voice there was something special in it.
    I actually liked him better as he mellowed with age than when he was a very self assured fire breather during his younger days.
    He became far more humble and introspective in his later years.
    I remember a comment he made to an MSNBC reporter that came to see him at his Montreat home around 2006. He was asked about any regrets or something he would do differently. He said he wish he'd spent more time reading The Bible and a bit less time preaching about it.

• Options

The worst is when these guys have million dollar personages they don’t pay taxes on. Reminds me of my grandfather as a baptist minister in this tiny home steps from the church that could fit inside some of these garages

• Options

@Kasey said:
    The worst is when these guys have million dollar personages they don’t pay taxes on. Reminds me of my grandfather as a baptist minister in this tiny home steps from the church that could fit inside some of these garages

Some do it for the mission and some do it for “other” reasons. Seeing the business behind the religion or true characters can put some people off.

Not saying that about you and speaking from personal experience

• Options

I just always go back to what some guy said one time...

“It’s easier for a a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven”

• Options
    theoriginalpitbulltheoriginalpitbull Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stepping out of my Pitbull persona to address what I've read here and elsewhere.

A sure sign that the devil and his servants are alive and well can be found in the negative posts above and on the internet.

The Billy Graham I knew from my youth to my current retirement age is the one described in the positive commentaries above, He was a faithful servant of Jesus Christ in the best sense of the words.

I retired a few years back after 45 years as a pastor and chaplain. Throughout that time I attended Crusades, assisted in preparation and followup for them, corresponded with BG's Association, participated in his Schools of Evangelism, and even reviewed documentation of his multiple missions, outreach and financial enterprises.

Had he or his inner circle ever seen any evidence that a letter asking for prayer was replied to with a request for a donation to the cause, I trust the person who did it would no longer be in that position.

While the Swaggerts and Jim and Tammys of this world were grabbing money and fame in the name of Jesus, Billy was praying, studying and preaching. Apparently a significant segment of the public has been poisoned with propaganda and smears about him, but I remember when so-called evangelistic ministries ran afoul of the IRS. The folks charged with smoking the charlatans out went first to the Billy Graham Association, and what they found was a compassionate, scrupulously honest, and perfectly run religious organization, which they subsequently used as the standard when evaluating other organizations, all of which fell far short of his.

He lived modestly to say the least. In most towns and decent sized cities in America, in all likelihood the pastor of the town's largest Baptist Church would have made back then and certainly now would be making more "take home" pay than Billy ever did.

The amazing thing is that he prayed hardest for the kind of people who have posted the smears and poison I've seen above, and if folks in heaven pray for us here, he still is.

He wasn't my denomination. I didn't preach like he did (Billy was way better than I ever was). He had some theological positions I didn't have. But he was a great man and a faithful servant of the causes of Christ.

By the way, I'm praying for you, too.

• Options

I just want it on record as I’m down with BG. He should not be lumped in with some of these TBN and PTL people who tried/try to milk every last dime out of people.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Some sound resentful and rightfully so. Those who use the gospel for personal gain will not go unpunished. God will judge all. Truth is found in the Bible not religion.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@theoriginalpitbull said:
    Stepping out of my Pitbull persona to address what I've read here and elsewhere.

A sure sign that the devil and his servants are alive and well can be found in the negative posts above and on the internet.

The Billy Graham I knew from my youth to my current retirement age is the one described in the positive commentaries above, He was a faithful servant of Jesus Christ in the best sense of the words.

I retired a few years back after 45 years as a pastor and chaplain. Throughout that time I attended Crusades, assisted in preparation and followup for them, corresponded with BG's Association, participated in his Schools of Evangelism, and even reviewed documentation of his multiple missions, outreach and financial enterprises.

Had he or his inner circle ever seen any evidence that a letter asking for prayer was replied to with a request for a donation to the cause, I trust the person who did it would no longer be in that position.

While the Swaggerts and Jim and Tammys of this world were grabbing money and fame in the name of Jesus, Billy was praying, studying and preaching. Apparently a significant segment of the public has been poisoned with propaganda and smears about him, but I remember when so-called evangelistic ministries ran afoul of the IRS. The folks charged with smoking the charlatans out went first to the Billy Graham Association, and what they found was a compassionate, scrupulously honest, and perfectly run religious organization, which they subsequently used as the standard when evaluating other organizations, all of which fell far short of his.

He lived modestly to say the least. In most towns and decent sized cities in America, in all likelihood the pastor of the town's largest Baptist Church would have made back then and certainly now would be making more "take home" pay than Billy ever did.

The amazing thing is that he prayed hardest for the kind of people who have posted the smears and poison I've seen above, and if folks in heaven pray for us here, he still is.

He wasn't my denomination. I didn't preach like he did (Billy was way better than I ever was). He had some theological positions I didn't have. But he was a great man and a faithful servant of the causes of Christ.

By the way, I'm praying for you, too.

Ignoring the mans shortcomings, which HE ADMITTED TO, is not honoring the truth. We are all sinners and come short of the Glory. And I would never equate people speaking the truth with being influenced by Satan, how very condescending of you. Did you learn that from your time with Reverend Graham? I know the man did far more good than bad, far more. But examining his life and failings is valid when people hold him up to an unreachable pedestal. I knew a preacher that had an affair with a married women he was counseling. Tons of stories of child-molesting priests. “Men of God.” I doubt Satan appreciates my sentiment of finding God yourself and don’t depend on others. Men will fail you....all men.

• Options

Sort of feel like this thread went down a rabbit trail. Let’s all agree that there is good and bad in any “business” and all people make mistakes in some form of fashion. May we also agree that some people no matter the wealth or donation amount truly have others outside of themselves to better the world? Either way, hero or not for some, from the little I have read, a unperfect man who had a dollar in his pocket, tried to leave the world in a better place before his death. I can’t say I feel the same about some similar people in that profession.

Also,I have seen worse examples of men within the news here “lately”

• Options

And UGAforever “Flags” my post praising Billy Graham as inappropriate? Geez. This world is upside down.

• Options

So sorry that it seems to JRT and apparently some others that we who respect and appreciate Rev. Graham are putting him up on an unreachable pedestal. It is a given that we all are sinners in need of a Savior. Never heard Billy ever say he wasn't a sinner himself. He seemed genuine and direct with me, and no one could ever speak of the difficulty of sinful living as well as he did without experiencing that difficulty himself and listening with compassion to others who were doing so.

The best thing anyone can do, in my ever so humble opinion, is to encourage, guide and support others as they begin, renew or continue a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. Rev. Graham was uniquely blessed in that endeavor, and while he may have had his own shortcomings and other sins, he did not exude the arrogance, holier than thou attitude, greed or smugness too often evident in religious leaders of his generations or ours.

The misdeeds, failures, cruelty and horrific sins of some clergy are awful and terrible, but not the same as whatever it is that troubles some of us about Rev. Graham. Vitriol and hating on a prominent, effective servant of God just a few days after his death in my book is indeed a sign that this world has been far too much influenced by the evil, deceit and divisiveness of the devil. However, what matters most is that we find the Lord and serve his causes, whether on our own at first through the Bible, or through the ministries of a local church, a community revival or a Billy Graham Crusade.

I'm praying for all of my fellow posters here. We all need prayers and spiritual support, especially when it seems that so many of us are caught up in the negative side of things. I hope I can point you to Jesus, not myself. That's what I feel that Rev. Billy Graham did.

• Options

Sorry, JRT. I'm all in with what you said. I meant to reply to you and then to Alabam, and really messed up when I deleted a lot more than I thought I had.

• Options

@theoriginalpitbull said:
    Sorry, JRT. I'm all in with what you said. I meant to reply to you and then to Alabam, and really messed up when I deleted a lot more than I thought I had.

No worries my man