Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Fox

gamakaigamakai Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

He runs a clean program-wins more than he loses-graduates his players. The program at UGA has fewer incidents of improper conduct by players and staff than most programs. Is Mark Fox perfect or maybe the best coach in the NCAA? Nope, but as several local writers have stated-we are **** lucky to have him now and during the upcoming revelations from the ongoing investigations. Look at the programs some of you want to be Louisville, UK, Duke, NC--all are under scrutiny and some had **** at the top job. He has been recruiting on an unleveled playing field. The highly rated recruits committed to UGA for 2019 just may be an example of his talents when that field is leveled. I say keep Mark Fox. This may not be popular on this site but I couldn't care less.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

Towers is off his rocker.
    Fox is being paid millions of dollars to both run a clean program AND, get this... WIN.
    You don't earn millions every year for being a teacher, if that was how things work every teacher of the year would get a multi-million dollar bonus.
    Fox is in over his head at this level.
    We need to move on. Let Fox go to a small school that pays 200K a year , there's HONOR in that. Clearly he wants the big money , but he hasn't earned it.

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2018

I believe UGA basketball has a player on the team who leads the SEC in scoring and rebounds something like that, which tells you how bad the core of Mark Fox's team is right now. He continues to waste talent every year, it's pathetic. Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee have all been more successful basketball programs over the past decade than us. We haven't won a NCAA tournament game since 2002 which is the longest drought out of any SEC team. When will we continue to accept mediocrity?

• Options

Here is a basic question.
    Does not cheating and making players do their school work make it harder to teach players to play or scheme games ?
    The clear answer is no. Those are separate issues. We can go after a HC who doesn't cheat AND coaches winning basketball.

• Options
    ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just about every game I watch (and I watch just about all of them), I think, how bad we are on the offensive side and how bad the overall game is. Not just this year. I have felt this way all 9+ years of his tenure. With the exception of Leslie (which he inherited) KCP , Frazier and Maiten virtually no offensive skill on the team or better yet, his players are not used properly. His offensive scheme/philosophy is outdated and cannot win. We need shooters and he either does not recruit them or fails to let them develop and actually shoot. I cannot wait for him to be gone.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Fire Jim Chaney already!!

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we have given Fox a fair chance - 9 years. He’s done well, but I don’t see things improving from beyond where we are. He’s a good guy, and so was CMR. Maybe we are spoiled with Kirby turning it around so quickly on the Gridiron, but let’s roll the dice and see what happens. Meanwhile, college basketball is about to explode. The NCAA cannot look away when Federal wire taps are revealing massive - and I mean massive - violations.

• Options
    edited February 2018

@greshamdisco said:
    I think we have given Fox a fair chance - 9 years. He’s done well, but I don’t see things improving from beyond where we are. He’s a good guy, and so was CMR. Maybe we are spoiled with Kirby turning it around so quickly on the Gridiron, but let’s roll the dice and see what happens. Meanwhile, college basketball is about to explode. The NCAA cannot look away when Federal wire taps are revealing massive - and I mean massive - violations.

Richt had 9 top 10 teams, he came within a play of going to the NCG, he averaged just under 10 wins a season. Fox has had the basketball team ranked in the top 25 just once, and for only 1 week in 9 seasons. It's an insult to Richt to compare the 2.

• Options

@Kasey said:

Free Mandela..off with their heads .....Attica, Attica!

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

Its CMR's fault.

• Options

@oldon42 said:

@Kasey said:

Its CMR's fault.

Richt has lost control of Kirby's offense.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:
    I believe UGA basketball has a player on the team who leads the SEC in scoring and rebounds something like that, which tells you how bad the core of Mark Fox's team is right now. He continues to waste talent every year, it's pathetic. Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee have all been more successful basketball programs over the past decade than us. We haven't won a NCAA tournament game since 2002 which is the longest drought out of any SEC team. When will we continue to accept mediocrity?

Yes, and Fox beat out MSU and Tom Izzo for his services. He has recruited some very good players over the years, but not many at one time, it seems. I'm fine if he's given another year. If we lose, what's new. If he has a good year, maybe McDawy keeps him around a bit longer.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Which highly successful big name coach do we want? I'm sure they all would give anything to leave their top programs and come down to UGA where we have zero basketball history and tradition. Let's get real, although it does looks like an untold number of them may be headed to prison, those that are left are NOT coming to Georgia. Period!!! So maybe we could hire an up and coming successful assistant coach. Maybe we could get one from Arizona or Auburn or Michigan State or Indiana. Then again probably not a good time to be hiring hotshot assistants. Better wait a while until the FBI finishes making their picks. The bottom line is this: At this time I'd much rather have Mark Fox as our coach than one of these scumbags that some of the top colleges have chosen to entrust their programs to.

• Options

@Red_N_Black said:
    Which highly successful big name coach do we want? I'm sure they all would give anything to leave their top programs and come down to UGA where we have zero basketball history and tradition. Let's get real, although it does looks like an untold number of them may be headed to prison, those that are left are NOT coming to Georgia. Period!!! So maybe we could hire an up and coming successful assistant coach. Maybe we could get one from Arizona or Auburn or Michigan State or Indiana. Then again probably not a good time to be hiring hotshot assistants. Better wait a while until the FBI finishes making their picks. The bottom line is this: At this time I'd much rather have Mark Fox as our coach than one of these scumbags that some of the top colleges have chosen to entrust their programs to.

Neither Coach K nor Tom Izzo were big time names when they were hired by Duke and MSU respectively.
    Hiring usually takes good judgement, if McGarity can't evaluate coaches, what the heck do we need him for ?

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

Hahahaha

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Red_N_Black said:

Neither Coach K nor Tom Izzo were big time names when they were hired by Duke and MSU respectively.
    Hiring usually takes good judgement, if McGarity can't evaluate coaches, what the heck do we need him for ?

Now, THAT is a good question.

• Options

@Kasey said:

WILLIE MARTINEZ!!!!

TODD GRANTHAM!!!!

SCHOTTENHEIMER!!!!

SHANAHAN!!!

SARKISIAN!!!!

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

Richt had 9 top 10 teams, he came within a play of going to the NCG, he averaged just under 10 wins a season. Fox has had the basketball team ranked in the top 25 just once, and for only 1 week in 9 seasons. It's an insult to Richt to compare the 2.

Woah I didn't even know all of this. **** he's been a lot worse than I thought, but the Georgia basketball program in general has been abysmal for a dozen+ years. Even worse than Auburn and Alabama in basketball.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fox has had 9 years to prove his worth and with only 2 NCAA appearances and zero wins, yeah that doesn't cut it for me and time to move on. He's terribly offensively and clueless at times when his team goes long stretches of time without scoring.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anyone else think Fox situation changes (in his favor) in light of ALL the potential HC openings about to open up in college basketball? If reports are to be believed, 1/4 of coaches may lose jobs. Might be hard for UGA to compete for a good HC in such a market...

• Options

@BullyDawg said:
    Anyone else think Fox situation changes (in his favor) in light of ALL the potential HC openings about to open up in college basketball? If reports are to be believed, 1/4 of coaches may lose jobs. Might be hard for UGA to compete for a good HC in such a market...

I don't think many HCs will be exposed enough by the FBI findings to lose their jobs.
    Unless they or their staffs are directly implicated schools won't fire proven winners.
    Kentucky seems to have covered their rears, if Calipari can hide complicity, I'm betting most can.