Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Fox

13»

Comments

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBK said:

@ColaDawg86 said:
    How do you not call a timeout on that last possession? What an embarrassing loss on Senior Night.

Really really sucks for our seniors... Puts the nail in the coddin

That loss is frustrating.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@gamakai said:
    He runs a clean program-wins more than he loses-graduates his players. The program at UGA has fewer incidents of improper conduct by players and staff than most programs. Is Mark Fox perfect or maybe the best coach in the NCAA? Nope, but as several local writers have stated-we are **** lucky to have him now and during the upcoming revelations from the ongoing investigations. Look at the programs some of you want to be Louisville, UK, Duke, NC--all are under scrutiny and some had **** at the top job. He has been recruiting on an unleveled playing field. The highly rated recruits committed to UGA for 2019 just may be an example of his talents when that field is leveled. I say keep Mark Fox. This may not be popular on this site but I couldn't care less.

he like to lose tho

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ColaDawg86 said:

@DawgBK said:

@ColaDawg86 said:
    How do you not call a timeout on that last possession? What an embarrassing loss on Senior Night.

Really really sucks for our seniors... Puts the nail in the coddin

That loss is frustrating.

UGA basketball in a nutshell. We've lost so many of these close, winnable games in the last five years that I've long ago stopped counting. Last three minutes of these close games are too frequently a parade of mistakes. Foolish, careless play, inability to break a press, and complete ineptitude on the offensive end in clutch-time. Last possession with game on the line is always to hope for a foul or throw up a prayer. I like Fox as a person...but it's beyond time for a new coach.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d be surprised if the search isn’t already well underway. I’d imagine you can’t really interview until (1) Foxis fired, and (2) conference and / or post season tournaments are over. That will put a damper on recruiting, but it can’t be helped. Coaching changes are never good on this side of them, but obviously it does offer some opportunities on the back side.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Every school has a short list of candidates to start with. This has been a thing since when LSU lost their football coach to a plane crash. If Fox isn’t fired it’s because of the investigation that is happen with FBI. If he is fired, why not go with a home grown person like Jonas Hayes.

Also from a earlier post Auburn and Bama are involved with the FBI investigation. Miami has their own problems with a NCAA investigation into the basketball program. There really isn’t too many clean college programs because there so few great prospects. Also AAU is a huge problem with the sport. Get rid of AAU and would solve a lot of the cheating problems because it would take things back through the high school not some rando who doesn’t have a real job and is living off 17 and 18 year old kids.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dbrown7494 said:
    Every school has a short list of candidates to start with. This has been a thing since when LSU lost their football coach to a plane crash. If Fox isn’t fired it’s because of the investigation that is happen with FBI. If he is fired, why not go with a home grown person like Jonas Hayes.

Also from a earlier post Auburn and Bama are involved with the FBI investigation. Miami has their own problems with a NCAA investigation into the basketball program. There really isn’t too many clean college programs because there so few great prospects. Also AAU is a huge problem with the sport. Get rid of AAU and would solve a lot of the cheating problems because it would take things back through the high school not some rando who doesn’t have a real job and is living off 17 and 18 year old kids.

Jonas Hayes isn't HC material yet at all. A very solid recruiter but not ready to be a HC. It is time to move on from Fox. If 9 years or average results isn't enough of a sign then I don't know what is. Only two NCAA tournaments and lost both first round games.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dakota_Nester said:

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@gamakai said:
    He runs a clean program-wins more than he loses-graduates his players. The program at UGA has fewer incidents of improper conduct by players and staff than most programs. Is Mark Fox perfect or maybe the best coach in the NCAA? Nope, but as several local writers have stated-we are **** lucky to have him now and during the upcoming revelations from the ongoing investigations. Look at the programs some of you want to be Louisville, UK, Duke, NC--all are under scrutiny and some had **** at the top job. He has been recruiting on an unleveled playing field. The highly rated recruits committed to UGA for 2019 just may be an example of his talents when that field is leveled. I say keep Mark Fox. This may not be popular on this site but I couldn't care less.

I agree 1000% and don't let the folks who are willing to violate their ethics for a few more Ws stop you from being an honorable Dawg fan. There are two many on this site (and just in general in today's society) who do not let reality be a factor in how they think. It is impossible to say that a clean coach can compete against dirty coaches.

I ran for elected office one time in Georgia against a very corrupt incumbent (in the primary so it wasn't a party vs party election). I was ahead in the polls and the money raising. But once everyone realized the incumbent was going to lose, everyone jumped in and helped the incumbent violating election law, party bylaws, etc along the way. Could I have won in a fair contest? Yes. Can I win when the other side plays dirty? No. Folks on this site need to learn that it is absurd to say they want someone to be clean and win if the cheating is so flagrant and widespread that it in effect makes it almost impossible to be clean and win. Yes there are folks who are clean and win, but those programs also have more of a basketball tradition than UGA. Fox is fighting both tradition and cheating. What on Earth do the armchair quarterbacks think he can do????

I do not think anyone is suggesting we pay players or bend the rules, but here's a small list of teams that are projected on making the field of 68 this year, and are not under FBI or NCAA scrutiny;
    -Miami
    -LSU

• Penn State
      -Nebraska

• Ohio State
      -Florida
      -Auburn
      -Tennessee
      -Alabama
      -Missouri

I'd go out on a limb and say those are mostly "football" schools without a too rich basketball history, yet they seem to "play by the rules" and are at least NCAA tournament contention each year. No one is asking for us to be a blue blood, just more competitive on the floor with the amount of talent in state.

I agree we can win without pay for play.
    Maybe putting Auburn on that list was 1 too many though... :)
    Florida fans threw money at Barn players after their game over the weekend,.

• Options
    boiledpeanutboiledpeanut Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited March 2018

Another big half time lead.
    Another UGA loss.

The program is moving laterally. Not forward. I like Fox but it's time for a change.

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mark Fox has to get outta here period. He's only had the basketball program ranked in the top 25 ONCE, for only 1 week in 9 seasons, I repeat, ONE week in NINE seasons has he only had a team ranked in the top 25. He's only had 2 NCAA tournament appearances and was one and done in each of them. The UGA basketball program overall has been a dumpster fire for the last decade and a half. We haven't won a NCAA tournament game since 2002, the longest drought without a NCAA tournament win in the SEC, and we haven't been to the Sweet 16 since 1996. All of your rivals who aren't on the level of Kentucky have been more successful than you for the past decade. It's turmoil everywhere wasting a bunch of talent, and especially with all the decommits the program is having, things will only get worse from here if Mark Fox continues to stay.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think it's a debate anymore. After the UGA is done with SEC tourney, Fox will be gone. If not, I will be astounded.

• Options
    cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

I am tired of this basketball program getting ,assistant head coach's and head coach's at smaller schools . It's time to step up and bring a great coach to Athens .Spend the dam money you have uga..

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cfc136 said:
    I am tired of this basketball program getting ,assistant head coach's and head coach's at smaller schools . It's time to step up and bring a great coach to Athens .Spend the dam money you have uga..

And whom would you lure to Athens?

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

AAU is a huge problem. With few exceptions, the high school coaches are not at all involved in the recruitment of serious talent. It by-passes any serious ethics control and any mentoring from career teachers / coaches in the process. $$$. Further, the NCAA has for so long looked the other way on basketball violations that it is hard to believe they are interested in really stopping “blue blood” programs from doing whatever they want. It’s a scam.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    AAU is a huge problem. With few exceptions, the high school coaches are not at all involved in the recruitment of serious talent. It by-passes any serious ethics control and any mentoring from career teachers / coaches in the process. $$$. Further, the NCAA has for so long looked the other way on basketball violations that it is hard to believe they are interested in really stopping “blue blood” programs from doing whatever they want. It’s a scam.

If The NBA does start a serious minor league system with a draft college basketball will become what it hasn't been in a century, a true amateur sport.
    It will then be like baseball where the top players have the option of going pro or going to college.

• Options
    sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My understanding is the basketball team was working as usual on Sunday, watching film and prepping for the tournament. An email went out tonight saying Fox would be on both the SEC teleconference on Monday and a team one on Tuesday.

Georgia plays on Wednesday night, and if it wins would play Thursday afternoon. As soon as Georgia is eliminated from the tournament, I would be on standby.