Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Fox

Comments

• Options
    joe_n_stefjoe_n_stef Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, just lost Hagans making UGA no longer the #1 recruiting class of 2019 for basketball. So should we still be okay with getting into the NCAA tournament once or twice a decade now that its obvious Mark Fox is a sub-par coach with no mind for offense who cannot recruit?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@joe_n_stef said:
    Well, just lost Hagans making UGA no longer the #1 recruiting class of 2019 for basketball. So should we still be okay with getting into the NCAA tournament once or twice a decade now that its obvious Mark Fox is a sub-par coach with no mind for offense who cannot recruit?

Don't think we" lost" him unless he signed somewhere else. It isn't signing day yet, is it?

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His list of schools under consideration doesn’t include UGA now. S ucks because he was tied to our other 4* recruit and puts us really far behind in recruiting. It’s the second high-profile commitment changing his mind in the past few months. Anyway, the longer the coaching situation lingers, the bigger hole we will be in for the next two years. SMH - we should have a better program.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Inside source close to the team told us that mark and his wife are aware they will not be returning.

(Barring an amazing run)...

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you read the reports/allegation, the only school , as of now, that is affected, is Arizona and Sean Miller because of the Wire taps. Literally every other school has came out and said per the report, they are good. If the agent paid off so and so's uncle, but never reached the kids, or a member of the school, hard to press charges. Is this a black eye for NCAAB, yes. Has this been going on since The Sole Man 30 for 30, yes. Will anything actually happen to these schools? No. With the exception of Arizona and possible NC St. doubt anything comes from this. Too many "bag men" for this to ever directly blow back on a coach or school.

As for Mark Fox - fire him. No consistency, too many face palms losses, and just overall not a good product on the court. Find me a local or young coach that can recruit Atlanta, it's a hotbed of Talent that it seems like Fox can't tap in.

• Options

@Dakota_Nester said:
    If you read the reports/allegation, the only school , as of now, that is affected, is Arizona and Sean Miller because of the Wire taps. Literally every other school has came out and said per the report, they are good. If the agent paid off so and so's uncle, but never reached the kids, or a member of the school, hard to press charges. Is this a black eye for NCAAB, yes. Has this been going on since The Sole Man 30 for 30, yes. Will anything actually happen to these schools? No. With the exception of Arizona and possible NC St. doubt anything comes from this. Too many "bag men" for this to ever directly blow back on a coach or school.

As for Mark Fox - fire him. No consistency, too many face palms losses, and just overall not a good product on the court. Find me a local or young coach that can recruit Atlanta, it's a hotbed of Talent that it seems like Fox can't tap in.

Well said.

• Options

@donm said:
    Don't think we" lost" him unless he signed somewhere else. It isn't signing day yet, is it?

if you believe we are still in it with Fox at the helm, you might want to start learning to read between the lines. As of now, UGA is NOT a powerhouse BB program. Most recruits say publicly that the program they just decommitted from is still in it to save face though it is usually far from the truth. Until a program can show that it has the coaching staff/ability to get these kids to the NBA, we will not be in it fora top 10 recruit. The potential is there because the state of Georgia has players within its borders to ensure UGA makes the NCAA tournament year in and year out with the right coach. CMF just is not it. Graduation rate doesn't matter the same as football because the top tier players in BB usually leave after 1-2 years not 3-4 years.

• Options
    DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Today, 5 star recruit Ashton Hagans de-committed from UGA... Do you think he was told that the coaching uncertainty was finalized to where he lost the coach that recruited him or he just didn't like how the future looked for him there?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjorK7wcTZAhUNuVMKHWZjByUQFgg5MAM&url=https://247sports.com/Article/Ashton-Hagans-decommits-from-Georgia-Bulldogs-115582205&usg=AOvVaw28Q09DjKq1fG7WlGafVguj

• Options

@DawgBK said:
    Today, 5 star recruit Ashton Hagans de-committed from UGA... Do you think he was told that the coaching uncertainty was finalized to where he lost the coach that recruited him or he just didn't like how the future looked for him there?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjorK7wcTZAhUNuVMKHWZjByUQFgg5MAM&url=https://247sports.com/Article/Ashton-Hagans-decommits-from-Georgia-Bulldogs-115582205&usg=AOvVaw28Q09DjKq1fG7WlGafVguj

I think it was (b).

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Per @sethemerson article, the decommit related to uncertainty over Fox's future:
    "The news comes as the Bulldogs enter the final week of the regular season and with Fox’s status a source of much speculation. Hagans and his coaches did not immediately return messages, but one person familiar with the situation tied the de-commitment to the uncertainty over Fox’s status. 'Just unsure of the situation,' the person said."
    -- https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/amid-coaching-uncertainty-ashton-hagans-decommits-ugs

Whatever McGarity does, I hope he moves swiftly to either keep CMF or move on. The silence and speculation are starting to take its toll on recruiting.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dakota_Nester said:

Even if an agent paid players from a particular team it's only a team violation if a representative of that program had a role or knew of the transaction. They could still have to forfeit games though.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Per @sethemerson article, the decommit related to uncertainty over Fox's future:
    "The news comes as the Bulldogs enter the final week of the regular season and with Fox’s status a source of much speculation. Hagans and his coaches did not immediately return messages, but one person familiar with the situation tied the de-commitment to the uncertainty over Fox’s status. 'Just unsure of the situation,' the person said."
    -- https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/amid-coaching-uncertainty-ashton-hagans-decommits-ugs

Whatever McGarity does, I hope he moves swiftly to either keep CMF or move on. The silence and speculation are starting to take its toll on recruiting.

Short term recruiting shouldn't dictate the process in my opinion.
    That said, if we're replacing Fox, and I hope we do there is not reason other than perhaps the FBI investigation to drag it out.
    If we make the right hire, recruiting will improve over the long haul.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2018

feds will pursue where there is enough to pursue criminally...or at least try ...wire fraud...??? maybe a stretch..... Its good pr for them in a time where they need it. A good "cleaning up our centers of edu" move. Its tough for the ncaa to do anything... unless its to a specific current player....look at all the unc impropriety....nothing has been done to this point and they have another tittle post revelation. As far as it relates to fox....remember the chris rock bit made even more famous by the office..."the cookie bit"....should fox be retained for not cheating....I think even fox himself would say a coach should be judged on his merit. Fox has stayed @ a safe working distance from the ever talented and shaddy top tier aau scene (esp atl) He is a clear system guy who recruits kids to play within...To his credit... his kids play d with effort...that is rare...but he has overlooked certain in state kids...or chosen not to recruit them for one reason or another that has been a topic of question for some time. imo the simple fact that turtle (or any of our guards) has/have trouble consistently creating/scoring when the set breaks down may cost fox his job...UGA has to seriously contemplate if it wants to make bball a priority....as kirby has done and is doing....if we keep a few of our best players in state...everything can change quickly...is UGA wiling to do what it takes to do that....???

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@gamakai said:
    He runs a clean program-wins more than he loses-graduates his players. The program at UGA has fewer incidents of improper conduct by players and staff than most programs. Is Mark Fox perfect or maybe the best coach in the NCAA? Nope, but as several local writers have stated-we are **** lucky to have him now and during the upcoming revelations from the ongoing investigations. Look at the programs some of you want to be Louisville, UK, Duke, NC--all are under scrutiny and some had **** at the top job. He has been recruiting on an unleveled playing field. The highly rated recruits committed to UGA for 2019 just may be an example of his talents when that field is leveled. I say keep Mark Fox. This may not be popular on this site but I couldn't care less.

I agree 1000% and don't let the folks who are willing to violate their ethics for a few more Ws stop you from being an honorable Dawg fan. There are two many on this site (and just in general in today's society) who do not let reality be a factor in how they think. It is impossible to say that a clean coach can compete against dirty coaches.

I ran for elected office one time in Georgia against a very corrupt incumbent (in the primary so it wasn't a party vs party election). I was ahead in the polls and the money raising. But once everyone realized the incumbent was going to lose, everyone jumped in and helped the incumbent violating election law, party bylaws, etc along the way. Could I have won in a fair contest? Yes. Can I win when the other side plays dirty? No. Folks on this site need to learn that it is absurd to say they want someone to be clean and win if the cheating is so flagrant and widespread that it in effect makes it almost impossible to be clean and win. Yes there are folks who are clean and win, but those programs also have more of a basketball tradition than UGA. Fox is fighting both tradition and cheating. What on Earth do the armchair quarterbacks think he can do????

• Options
    Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@gamakai said:
    He runs a clean program-wins more than he loses-graduates his players. The program at UGA has fewer incidents of improper conduct by players and staff than most programs. Is Mark Fox perfect or maybe the best coach in the NCAA? Nope, but as several local writers have stated-we are **** lucky to have him now and during the upcoming revelations from the ongoing investigations. Look at the programs some of you want to be Louisville, UK, Duke, NC--all are under scrutiny and some had **** at the top job. He has been recruiting on an unleveled playing field. The highly rated recruits committed to UGA for 2019 just may be an example of his talents when that field is leveled. I say keep Mark Fox. This may not be popular on this site but I couldn't care less.

I agree 1000% and don't let the folks who are willing to violate their ethics for a few more Ws stop you from being an honorable Dawg fan. There are two many on this site (and just in general in today's society) who do not let reality be a factor in how they think. It is impossible to say that a clean coach can compete against dirty coaches.

I ran for elected office one time in Georgia against a very corrupt incumbent (in the primary so it wasn't a party vs party election). I was ahead in the polls and the money raising. But once everyone realized the incumbent was going to lose, everyone jumped in and helped the incumbent violating election law, party bylaws, etc along the way. Could I have won in a fair contest? Yes. Can I win when the other side plays dirty? No. Folks on this site need to learn that it is absurd to say they want someone to be clean and win if the cheating is so flagrant and widespread that it in effect makes it almost impossible to be clean and win. Yes there are folks who are clean and win, but those programs also have more of a basketball tradition than UGA. Fox is fighting both tradition and cheating. What on Earth do the armchair quarterbacks think he can do????

I do not think anyone is suggesting we pay players or bend the rules, but here's a small list of teams that are projected on making the field of 68 this year, and are not under FBI or NCAA scrutiny;
    -Miami
    -LSU

• Penn State
      -Nebraska

• Ohio State
      -Florida
      -Auburn
      -Tennessee
      -Alabama
      -Missouri

I'd go out on a limb and say those are mostly "football" schools without a too rich basketball history, yet they seem to "play by the rules" and are at least NCAA tournament contention each year. No one is asking for us to be a blue blood, just more competitive on the floor with the amount of talent in state.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a thought - not making accusations... but...

Who's to say Fox is even running a clean program? They weren't listed in the latest investigation, but just might mean that we're better at it than others, or just got lucky. People have said paying players is commonplace these days - who's to say we're clean on this? Just hypothesizing here, not trying to say we ARE guilty, but just something to think about.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:

Who's to say Fox is even running a clean program? They weren't listed in the latest investigation, but just might mean that we're better at it than others, or just got lucky. People have said paying players is commonplace these days - who's to say we're clean on this? Just hypothesizing here, not trying to say we ARE guilty, but just something to think about.

If UGA has been paying players, then they need a refund... I think this whole basketball thing can be sorted out pretty easily. UGA has to figure out if it wants to compete in basketball or not (and no, I don't mean pay players). It would start with expanding it's budget liberally. Hiring a $3+ million/yr coach, upgraded facilities, more staff (a la Kirby), etc. etc.... But maybe UGA gets it, others are running dirty programs, and doesn't want to get the university caught up in that rat race. But, if they'd open up the budget for better coaches, amongst other things, they'd at least go dancing a little more often. And who knows, maybe we could make a run like South Carolina every once in a while.

• Options

@mattmd2 said:

@mattmd2 said:

Why would I think about it? It’s been clear for years that Fox won’t play the AAU/shoe game. I think it’s not a productive exercise to think about your hypothetical.

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How do you not call a timeout on that last possession? What an embarrassing loss on Senior Night.

• Options
    DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2018

@ColaDawg86 said:
    How do you not call a timeout on that last possession? What an embarrassing loss on Senior Night.

Really really sucks for our seniors... Puts the nail in the coffin on our tourney hopes. Annd probably ole Mark Fox