Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tyson "Too Tall" Campbell

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did you guys listen to the podcast yesterday? Jeff was talking about Campbell and opined that his game could be in the same mold of Minkah Fitzpatrick (hybrid safety/nickel back) more so than a pure corner. @WCDawg knows physics and stiff hips better than anybody in the biz. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

is there a way to "up vote" just the tittle?

• Options

@JeffSentell I followed what he was saying, however we really need Campbell to excel at CB. To me this is bigger than Campbell. If he excels he could be the catalyst that shows other blue chip CBs that UGA can pave the way for position dominance, progression, and elite draft status. Add in that I think Baker will be a top 20 pick in 19 draft, Campbell could cement the momentum we need at this position.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg I agree with Baker being a 1st rounder no doubt if he has another season like last year. I've just never been so adamant about Tyson needing to contribute as a freshman. I think they'll be fine on the back end this year but when you look at history of Saban & Smart DB's, not many start as freshman. I think it's more telling about Gibbs situation than anything else for Tyson needing to step into that role.

• Options

@Acrum21 said:
    @SoFL_Dawg I agree with Baker being a 1st rounder no doubt if he has another season like last year. I've just never been so adamant about Tyson needing to contribute as a freshman. I think they'll be fine on the back end this year but when you look at history of Saban & Smart DB's, not many start as freshman. I think it's more telling about Gibbs situation than anything else for Tyson needing to step into that role.

We just haven’t had a blue chip CB in so long. We need the staying power at the position. It’s a good thing if he’s not needed to contribute as much in 18 as it indicates the defensive back end is solid, but it will be a better thing if he comes in and locks down opposite of Baker. I’d personally like to see Campbell have a solid Fr. year starting after bye week. Then two elite So. & Jr. years and go be a first rounder. That’s the story we need to sale future blue chippers at CB imo.

• Options

@3rdshift all credit for the title goes to @BojanglesInsider

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

The guy was a 5-star CB. Everyone was saying he was the greatest CB of all time...and IMMEDIATE starter on our defense. Now people think he’s not going to be a great CB. W.T.F. guys? He’s tall-ish. Slightly taller than average at CB. I thought we put this to bed on the other thread.

• Options
    edited May 2018

looking for more "science" based posts....or maybe at least one podcast where someone says "this really fits the mold of a coach x type player" or "this is really what coach x prefers" ..... quotes please of the coach who really loves to scheme with smaller weaker slower players. or maybe how grayson contributed the situation...or how to much competition at one position during growing years of hs students leads to increased height due to what bill nye calls "competition evolution"

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg No arguing that! I just think the discussion earlier about all of this was just hinging on Tyson being a surefire lock down DB. IMO he would be just as valuable to the program as an elite nickle back like Jalen Ramsey & Minkah. That's really where these big DB's are starting to flow into the NFL. Go look on the 1st and 2nd round draft results. 5'll, 5'10 & 5'11 were the heights of the first 3 CB's off the board. The "Corners" that are 6'1 and 6'2 are the hybrid safety types, the swiss army knives of the secondary. Heck, in 2016 Mo Smith was the savior of the defense.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

We just haven’t had a blue chip CB in so long. We need the staying power at the position. It’s a good thing if he’s not needed to contribute as much in 18 as it indicates the defensive back end is solid, but it will be a better thing if he comes in and locks down opposite of Baker. I’d personally like to see Campbell have a solid Fr. year starting after bye week. Then two elite So. & Jr. years and go be a first rounder. That’s the story we need to sale future blue chippers at CB imo.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

and with all this talk of his hips, his height and his moving to safety, we still might not have a blue chip CB. Can that be so?

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    The guy was a 5-star CB. Everyone was saying he was the greatest CB of all time...and IMMEDIATE starter on our defense. Now people think he’s not going to be a great CB. W.T.F. guys? He’s tall-ish. Slightly taller than average at CB. I thought we put this to bed on the other thread.

The thread that never dies.....

• Options

@pgjackson I apologize for stirring the pot. I'm really bored today. @donm William Poole was a blue chipper.

• Options

@Acrum21 said:
    @pgjackson I apologize for stirring the pot. I'm really bored today. @donm William Poole was a blue chipper.

Acrum, yes he was. Thanks.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is why we can't have nice things....... God help me...

• Options

i expect a lot out of poole this yr...dont forget he has an insane reach...so he has the adv of being tall without tysons terrible 2 tallness.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Not again...

Shaddup ****... B)

• Options

@3rdshift said:
    i expect a lot out of poole this yr...dont forget he has an insane reach...so he has the adv of being tall without tysons terrible 2 tallness.

Seriously, if we had 4 Baker clones we'd lock down just about every receiver we face. If he just had slightly more explosive quickness (ala Prime Time) he'd be just about ideal.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good problem to have, IMO: whether Tyson will be a star at CB or at hybrid safety/nickel back.
    #FirstWorldProblems #TheNewNormalAtUGA

• Options

@BullyDawg said:
    Good problem to have, IMO: whether Tyson will be a star at CB or at hybrid safety/nickel back.

if he lives up to the hype and becomes an nfl guy...would be neato if the talking heads used the nickname 2 tall tyson...the force is strong here.

• Options

@BullyDawg said:

I don't know if CB will end up being Campbell's best long term position or not.
    Greedy Williams has been a great CB for LSU so far, he's listed at 6'2''. Oddly he is the best case comparison I see, before he emerged last year it would have been hard to find a corner that size who looked like a 1st rd candidate.
    Williams is built differently, he has a bigger base, which might give him a bit lower center of gravity, but he's close.

IF Campbell ends up at safety or a hybrid position, that wouldn't be so bad.
    Heck as discussed as Richard Sherman is, he played a hybrid role in Seattle. More plays than not he didn't line up on receivers, he lined up like a shallow safety and picked up the receiver only if he went deep on Sherman's side of the field.

Campbell's great speed and quickness could be utilized without him having to try to mirror a receiver's every move.