Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I respectively Disagree with Jeff Sentell

2»

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The best “cover” corner to ever do it was Neon Deion at 6’1. Campbell will be 6’3. An underrated facet to both their games is their strength and ability to jam off the line to funnel a receiver to the spot they want them to go. Shorter guys probably are a lil more fluid in hips. Recovery speed will make up for that lack of fluidity though, especially in college and that can’t be taught. Campbell isn’t just track fast, he’s football fast. I encourage all to turn back on the tape to watch the kids from AH. Even outside of his own highlights, this kid is 100% legit. Having seem them live I posted in November I liked Campbell better than Surtain just because his ceiling looks higher.

We ain’t got no worries here. Anxious to see this young man play ball.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    The best “cover” corner to ever do it was Neon Deion at 6’1. Campbell will be 6’3. An underrated facet to both their games is their strength and ability to jam off the line to funnel a receiver to the spot they want them to go. Shorter guys probably are a lil more fluid in hips. Recovery speed will make up for that lack of fluidity though, especially in college and that can’t be taught. Campbell isn’t just track fast, he’s football fast. I encourage all to turn back on the tape to watch the kids from AH. Even outside of his own highlights, this kid is 100% legit. Having seem them live I posted in November I liked Campbell better than Surtain just because his ceiling looks higher.

This!

A lot of us are overthinking it. The kid can play! Look for him to be a force.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    **Posted 40-yard dash and short shuttle times from the Nike Opening regionals in the spring of 2017. **

Tyson Campbell: 4.47 in the 40/4.57 in the short shuttle
    James Cook: 4.71 in the 40/4.26 in the short shuttle
    Auburn WR signee Anthony Schwartz: 4.34 in the 40/4.09 in the short shuttle
    Tommy Bush: 4.47 in the 40/4.15 in the short shuttle
    Nadab Joseph: 4.54 in the 40/4.19 in the short shuttle
    Divaad Wilson: 4.62 in the 40/4.32 in the short shuttle
    Justin Fields: 4.51 in the 40/4.16 in the short shuttle
    Nolan Smith 2017: 4.59 in the 40/4.34 in the short shuttle
    Channing Tindall: 4.86 in the 40/4.19 in the short shuttle
    Chris Smith: 4.69 in the 40/4.20 in the short shuttle
    Kearis Jackson: 4.57 in the 40/4.24 in the short shuttle
    Clemson CB signee Kyler McMichael: 4.57 in the 40/4.26 in the short shuttle
    Ryland Goede 2017: 5.09 in the 40/4.28 in the short shuttle
    Azeez Ojulari: 4.70 in the 40/4.32 in the short shuttle
    Otis Reese: 4.39 in the short shuttle
    Brenton Cox: 4.95 in the 40/4.40 in the short shuttle

Campbell will be an excellent player at UGA. I hope folks don't think that comparing him to a 3-year instant impact guy and key cog on Alabama's defense (and a 1RDP) here is anything but an honest scouting evaluation.

Pretty big leap in the compliment department for a 5-star player who hasn't even enrolled yet. This was a projection. Definitely not a downgrade to his skills.

@cd1044 - Keep doing your thing, man. Disagreement and civil debate is what this space on DawgNation is for.

Campbell is going to play a TON for the Bulldogs the next three years. Maybe he fell down or slipped somewhat on that short shuttle, but the film does back that up. If he fell, then he had the chance to scratch that time and also run it again.

Maybe the S&C staff at UGA will shave about two or three-tenths of a second off that pro agility 5-10-5 time.

Campbell is a hoss. Looked excellent at the U.S. Army All-American practices. I just wanted to share some feedback that he could not be shining at the cornerback spot from the jump.

Those Fields and Tommy Bush times tho

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone's short shuttle time is less than his 40 time except for TC's. Is that a typo or did someone trip him?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@cd1044 said:

What do you mean? "Respectively" disagree? LOL

@amjadawgs said:
    There are two points to consider here: One, physics tells us (and shows us) that shorter people have a lower center of gravity and change direction and accelerate quicker than taller people. Two, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Some people just have the God given talent to this even if they are taller.

But, as stated, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Not sure where Campbell will excel as a DB, but I’m pretty confident CKS and CMT will have him in the right position to be successful.

You are correct on point one, but I will only disagree in semantics on point two. There are NOT exceptions to the rule. If Tyson were shorter then he absolutely would be able to turn his hips quicker than he does now at 6'2". The only "exception" is in regards to he just might still be faster than his competition. That's to say he might have enough God given talent to overcome his body length. 4.27 is burning it up in the 40.

Really Mike Haynes was the only 6'2'' CB I've ever seen who could mirror a receiver, BUT he was the best cover corner period in my opinion. There has never been a great 6' 3'' CB, and it's not because of the scarcity of 6' 3'' people.

Haynes had astoundingly good feet, we may never see another like him.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

If you've ever heard Sanders talk about the mechanics of the position you know he harps on the ability to back peddle with a lot of knee bend to keep the center of gravity low.
    In hs Campbell tried to bend at the waist when he changed directions, we'll see whether he has the ability to get low and flip his hips.

• Options
    thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

TC's short shuttle time to me indicates 2 things. Either his footwork for the drill is off or he is lacking lower body strength the decelerate quickly. I would probably guess at the 2nd as taller players often struggle due to biomechanics, but the skills CAN be improved greatly through training. But some of y'all act like X player can not play Y position due to some height requirement. By that argument, Richard Sherman should have never played in the NFL.

• Options

@thehutch40 said:
    TC's short shuttle time to me indicates 2 things. Either his footwork for the drill is off or he is lacking lower body strength the decelerate quickly. I would probably guess at the 2nd as taller players often struggle due to biomechanics, but the skills CAN be improved greatly through training. But some of y'all act like X player can not play Y position due to some height requirement. By that argument, Richard Sherman should have never played in the NFL.

Sherman played a very simple scheme that didn't require he play a lot of man coverage in Seattle.
    Carroll uses a very simple 2 deep quadrant scheme where Sherman often played more like a shallow safety than CB.
    We'll see how he adapts in S.F.

• Options
    cd1044cd1044 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@brentwilson said:
    I don’t understand how one can be “too tall” to play CB?? he’s fast and big so why can’t he be a lockdown corner

exac> @umooner said:

@JeffSentell said:
    **Posted 40-yard dash and short shuttle times from the Nike Opening regionals in the spring of 2017. **

Campbell will be an excellent player at UGA. I hope folks don't think that comparing him to a 3-year instant impact guy and key cog on Alabama's defense (and a 1RDP) here is anything but an honest scouting evaluation.

Pretty big leap in the compliment department for a 5-star player who hasn't even enrolled yet. This was a projection. Definitely not a downgrade to his skills.

@cd1044 - Keep doing your thing, man. Disagreement and civil debate is what this space on DawgNation is for.

Campbell is going to play a TON for the Bulldogs the next three years. Maybe he fell down or slipped somewhat on that short shuttle, but the film does back that up. If he fell, then he had the chance to scratch that time and also run it again.

Maybe the S&C staff at UGA will shave about two or three-tenths of a second off that pro agility 5-10-5 time.

Campbell is a hoss. Looked excellent at the U.S. Army All-American practices. I just wanted to share some feedback that he could not be shining at the cornerback spot from the jump.

Exactly my point appreciate it fam in fact some said he was the best corner during practices which included patrick surtain. Not to mention his 40 is prob much faster considering he runs a 100 meter in 10:38 seconds the kid will be special for us no matter what the haters say.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

If you've ever heard Sanders talk about the mechanics of the position you know he harps on the ability to back peddle with a lot of knee bend to keep the center of gravity low.
    In hs Campbell tried to bend at the waist when he changed directions, we'll see whether he has the ability to get low and flip his hips.

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I think the height thing IS real, but I don’t think it totally accounts for the time here. Isn’t Tommy Bush 6’5”. His shuttle was quite good. Maybe we should move him to corner.

• Options

@cd1044 said:

@brentwilson said:
    I don’t understand how one can be “too tall” to play CB?? he’s fast and big so why can’t he be a lockdown corner

exac> @umooner said:

@JeffSentell said:

Exactly my point appreciate it fam in fact some said he was the best corner during practices which included patrick surtain. Not to mention his 40 is prob much faster considering he runs a 100 meter in 10:38 seconds the kid will be special for us no matter what the haters say.

And Fields is 6' 3" and T Bush is 6' 5" So much for height and maneuver

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

I think you meant "respectfully"

almost there buddy

• Options

@cd1044 said:

@brentwilson said:

exac> @umooner said:

@JeffSentell said:

Do you guys even read the posts where it's explained why great CBs are mostly in the 5'10'' to 6'1'' range ?

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Everyone's short shuttle time is less than his 40 time except for TC's. Is that a typo or did someone trip him?

I saw where Rivals has his shuttle time as 4:51 (presumably from another camp), so it is lack of technique or bad hips or ?

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

CB ... Minkah-style Hybrid ... either way, I am glad he's a Dawg! I trust our coaches to get the best guys on the field in the positions to best help us win! #GoDawgs