Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I respectively Disagree with Jeff Sentell

cd1044cd1044 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Campbell was the number 2 corner in the nation It makes no sense to move him to safety tha's wasting his talent and not maximizing his potential. Having a Minkah-Type is nice but I don't want that. I wannt that signature lockdown corner that's what kirby sold Cambell at they need help in the secondary especially at corner and Campbell has been adament he will be a corner at the next level in fat there were rumors he didn't wanna team up with Patrick Surtain because he wants to be get out of his shadow, impying he wants to be a star cb in college. Jeff Sentell is extremely good at what he does and am in no way saying I know more than highschool coaches and him cause that's laughable however we need that blue chip outside guy and consdiering Campbell has great siize at 6'2 and lighting fast with a 4.2 40 yeard dash and extremely quick and underrated hips he has all the tools you want in a cb so it would make no sense to not let him play what made him a top ten player in the nation and Kirby wants cbs so I would be shocked if he was moved to safety.

Comments

• Options

fact I meant this was poorly typed my bad for that

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff was giving his opinion, based on tape of his high school games and camps. Whether or not he can play as a shut-down corner won’t be known till he gets to campus and gets on the practice field. I think that given our personnel, the staff hopes that he can lock down a corner position for the next three years (at least). If the star position is a better fit for him, I would be fine having a Minka Fitzgerald type talent at that position, it worked out pretty good for him and ‘Bama.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:
    Jeff was giving his opinion, based on tape of his high school games and camps. Whether or not he can play as a shut-down corner won’t be known till he gets to campus and gets on the practice field. I think that given our personnel, the staff hopes that he can lock down a corner position for the next three years (at least). If the star position is a better fit for him, I would be fine having a Minka Fitzgerald type talent at that position, it worked out pretty good for him and ‘Bama.

Tru the problem is ga doesn't really have the depth that bama did at outside corner and I agree we will probabaly put him at corner first but his size and speed seems better suited for the outside role. As good as hybrid guys are they aren't as valuable as shut down corners that's why denzel ward went over Minkah in the draft.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@coastaldawg said:

Tru the problem is ga doesn't really have the depth that bama did at outside corner and I agree we will probabaly put him at corner first but his size and speed seems better suited for the outside role. As good as hybrid guys are they aren't as valuable as shut down corners that's why denzel ward went over Minkah in the draft.

While i agree we really need a lockdown corner to replace baker, Jeff usually doesn’t talk out of his ass on these types of things. He said he’d heard it from multiple coaches. And i don’t think Campbell ending up at star is a bad thing. They’re still on the field a lot in our system

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone thought Derrick Henry was too tall also. Just sayin’. This guy will be a lock-down CB.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@coastaldawg said:

Don't forget that Levi Wallace was starting corner for Alabama this past year. If they thought Minka would have been a shut down corner and more valuable at that position, he would have been there.

• Options

@judasdurant said:

@cd1044 said:

@coastaldawg said:

While i agree we really need a lockdown corner to replace baker, Jeff usually doesn’t talk out of his ass on these types of things. He said he’d heard it from multiple coaches. And i don’t think Campbell ending up at star is a bad thing. They’re still on the field a lot in our system

he also said some coaches preferred him over Patrick Surtain ao it wasn't like all the coaches said this buy yea your still right but I beleive tyson has the most upside as an outside corner I don't want him in a hybrid role that's wasting his potential let him play what made him a 5 star I don't like Jeff suggesting that's what he will be even if it is what some coaches said at least let im go through practice first cause even the dawgnation daily host strongly disagreed with jeff sentell saying campbell will be a fitzpatrick type and made an excellent point how ga doesn't have the secondary depth to do that with campbell. I see a pure corner outta campbell I could be wrong tho.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2018

If we disagree with Jeff then we are disagreeing with those he asked who get paid for their professional evolutions. Jeff did his homework on this and did not come to an uniformed conclusion. He shares the experts advice with us his readers.
    Do I agree with those conclusions. Doesn't matter really, excited to see Tysons talent in his best role. As they say there always just trying to get there best 12 players on the field.

I am glad the American Heritage pipeline continues with handoff from Sony to Tyson to ...... The next future Dwag from American Heritage. Also my godson goes there so I pay more attention.

• Options

@dawgbybirth said:
    If we disagree with Jeff then we are disagreeing with those he asked who get paid for their professional evolutions. Jeff did his homework on this and did not come to an uniformed conclusion. He shares the experts advice with us his readers.
    Do I agree with those conclusions. Doesn't matter, excited to see with Tyson's talents and smarts led him to his best team fit. As they say there always just trying to get there best 12 players on the field.

Tru I agree and no way I'm disagreeing with professioanls but I don't understand how the number 2 corner in the nation is recommended to convert to safety in college when he's 6'2 with 4.2 speed doesn't make sense imo

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@cd1044 said:

@dawgbybirth said:
    Do I agree with those conclusions. Doesn't matter, excited to see with Tyson's talents and smarts led him to his best team fit. As they say there always just trying to get there best 12 players on the field.

Tru I agree and no way I'm disagreeing with professioanls but I don't understand how the number 2 corner in the nation is recommended to convert to safety in college when he's 6'2 with 4.2 speed doesn't make sense imo

Out of my league on that answer. What I understand is that maybe more to do with flexibility and maybe change of direction quickness. Things Chris Smith does better then Tyson despite smaller and slower straight line speed.
    Think we can agree no matter the other experts they get him on special teams early and that postion maybe more about Georgia's needs then his skill set alone.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t understand how one can be “too tall” to play CB?? he’s fast and big so why can’t he be a lockdown corner

• Options

@dawgbybirth said:

@cd1044 said:

@dawgbybirth said:

Out of my league on that answer. What I understand is that maybe more to do with flexibility and maybe change of direction quickness. Things Chris Smith does better then Tyson despite smaller and slower straight line speed.
    Think we can agree no matter the other experts they get him on special teams early and that postion maybe more about Georgia's needs then his skill set alone.

Campbell is very quick he got an 8 for change and direction and quickness by 247 sports so he has plenty of that But i do agree he will still find a way to contribute in 2018 hopefully that wlll be at cb

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@cd1044 , @pgjackson He's going to be amazing at Georgia. When it's all said and done? Campbell will have become the best & most talked about member of the Georgia secondary since Champ Bailey. IMHO since CKS played (& coached) in the DB area himself? This is an area I believe that CKS wants to, & HE WILL make Georgia begin to particularly shine in, & he will have an extra strong emphasis moving forward on the Georgia Bulldogs being "DBU".

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are two points to consider here: One, physics tells us (and shows us) that shorter people have a lower center of gravity and change direction and accelerate quicker than taller people. Two, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Some people just have the God given talent to this even if they are taller.

I wrested in HS and was pretty **** good at it. I’m just over 6’. When I faced a shorter guy 5’7ish, my approach to the match was completely different. I couldn’t be as aggressive. I had to bait them into making mistakes because I couldn’t compete with the slightly quicker movement of my opponent. I know, wrestling is a COMPLETELY different sport, but I do understand the difference in quickness to change direction for shorter people. Also, the shorter you are, as a rule, the quicker you accelerate. , Swift at 5’9” is a perfect example of this.

But, as stated, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Not sure where Campbell will excel as a DB, but I’m pretty confident CKS and CMT will have him in the right position to be successful.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@dawgbybirth said:

@cd1044 said:

@dawgbybirth said:

Campbell is very quick he got an 8 for change and direction and quickness by 247 sports so he has plenty of that But i do agree he will still find a way to contribute in 2018 hopefully that wlll be at cb

Campbell has a lot to like, but whether he can mirror top receivers is an open question.
    I will say something I haven't posted here before, he does look slightly awkward at times in the way he bends over when he changes direction, that is due to his center of gravity.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    I don’t understand how one can be “too tall” to play CB?? he’s fast and big so why can’t he be a lockdown corner

It's been mentioned several times in this thread alone, and I've been over it ad nauseum.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@judasdurant said:

@cd1044 said:

@coastaldawg said:

he also said some coaches preferred him over Patrick Surtain ao it wasn't like all the coaches said this buy yea your still right but I beleive tyson has the most upside as an outside corner I don't want him in a hybrid role that's wasting his potential let him play what made him a 5 star I don't like Jeff suggesting that's what he will be even if it is what some coaches said at least let im go through practice first cause even the dawgnation daily host strongly disagreed with jeff sentell saying campbell will be a fitzpatrick type and made an excellent point how ga doesn't have the secondary depth to do that with campbell. I see a pure corner outta campbell I could be wrong tho.

@cd1044 said:

@dawgbybirth said:

Brother, please start using periods or something to space out your sentences. I actually want to read what you write (whether I agree or not) but don’t because it looks like an unorganized mess. I am NOT a grammar nazi either!

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

What do you mean? "Respectively" disagree? LOL

@amjadawgs said:
    There are two points to consider here: One, physics tells us (and shows us) that shorter people have a lower center of gravity and change direction and accelerate quicker than taller people. Two, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Some people just have the God given talent to this even if they are taller.

But, as stated, there ARE exceptions to the rule. Not sure where Campbell will excel as a DB, but I’m pretty confident CKS and CMT will have him in the right position to be successful.

You are correct on point one, but I will only disagree in semantics on point two. There are NOT exceptions to the rule. If Tyson were shorter then he absolutely would be able to turn his hips quicker than he does now at 6'2". The only "exception" is in regards to he just might still be faster than his competition. That's to say he might have enough God given talent to overcome his body length. 4.27 is burning it up in the 40.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I cant help but wonder if WCDawg isnt one of Jeff's unnamed sources.

• Options
    insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgbybirth said:.
    Do I agree with those conclusions. Doesn't matter really, excited to see Tysons talent in his best role. As they say there always just trying to get there best 12 players on the field.

If we can figure out how to get 12 on the field without penalties, that could certainly help! :D