Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves drafted a potential #1 starter last night...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carter Stewart has the best curveball in this draft AND a fastball that has moved from the low 90s to high 90s recently, his ceiling is elite.
When you draft a very young pitcher you draft for ceiling, not that he's not good already, his ERA was .90 in his senior year in hs.
He is 6'6'' 225lb with a great build for building easy momentum....very smart pick.

Comments

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:
    Carter Stewart has the best curveball in this draft AND a fastball that has moved from the low 90s to high 90s recently, his ceiling is elite.
    When you draft a very young pitcher you draft for ceiling, not that he's not good already, his ERA was .90 in his senior year in hs.
    He is 6'6'' 225lb with a great build for building easy momentum....very smart pick.

.91 ERA in high school and was only 6-4. What a terrible team. His curve could be devastating in the big leagues especially with all the power hitters striking out 150+ times a year. But he might get traded for Manny Machado.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a “negative Nancy,” but

“Best curveballs” is a Concerning comment to me. Too many times these young guys throw too many growing up and it shreds their elbows long term.
    I know they checked and prodded him, but I hope he holds up.

• Options

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

.91 ERA in high school and was only 6-4. What a terrible team. His curve could be devastating in the big leagues especially with all the power hitters striking out 150+ times a year. But he might get traded for Manny Machado.

I just don't see Liberty taking on a super max salary like Machado will command.

• Options

@bmauldin said:

“Best curveballs” is a Concerning comment to me. Too many times these young guys throw too many growing up and it shreds their elbows long term.

It's always a concern, but he has easy mechanics and he just increased his velocity, so I don't think he was maxing out his torque in hs.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I just don't see Liberty taking on a super max salary like Machado will command.

I think the Braves have been stacking arm talent for that exact reason, plus with all the young talent being under control for a while, it's the perfect time to take on a big contract. What's your take on the Braves' plan with all these arms?

• Options
    Dawgnation33Dawgnation33 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bmauldin said:

I think the Braves need a pitcher to have at least one TJ surgery before they give them a good look.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think the Braves have been stacking arm talent for that exact reason, plus with all the young talent being under control for a while, it's the perfect time to take on a big contract. What's your take on the Braves' plan with all these arms?

Let them walk for nothing, trade them for nothing, or hang on to them until they bust out. John Smoltz ain’t walkin thru that door!!

• Options

@Kasey said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Let them walk for nothing, trade them for nothing, or hang on to them until they bust out. John Smoltz ain’t walkin thru that door!!

Hopefully a Greg Maddox or Tommy Glavine does though

• Options

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

The organization has young starting pitching prospects because many never reach their early projections. You need many good prospects to give you a good chance at ending up with a good rotation.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love how they are going for the best available. They got a few “steals” from what insiders are saying.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can never have enough starting pitching prospects. The starting rotation for the Braves in 2010 included veteran Tim Hudson plus relative youngsters Kris Medlin, Jair Jurrgens, Tommy Hanson, Mike Minor, and Brandon Beachy.

Protential and enthusism was high in the organization. Injuries took down most of those guys.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    You can never have enough starting pitching prospects. The starting rotation for the Braves in 2010 included veteran Tim Hudson plus relative youngsters Kris Medlin, Jair Jurrgens, Tommy Hanson, Mike Minor, and Brandon Beachy.

Protential and enthusism was high in the organization. Injuries took down most of those guys.

that was, in the beginning, a very promising rotation. Sort of weird how it all kind of evaporated for that group. Precisely why you are right about not ever having enough pitching prospects. They can, hopefully, turn some of those prospects into some position players....I think catcher is a position of big need for them. I wonder if it is easier/safer to project how a hitter will do as opposed to projecting how a pitcher will do down the road. If one takes the Braves approach, and trades pitching prospects for a position player, at least they'll have some hitting data on the trade prospect, making it, just maybe, easier to project ahead.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@MODawg said:

@WCDawg said:

The organization has young starting pitching prospects because many never reach their early projections. You need many good prospects to give you a good chance at ending up with a good rotation.

Yeah but the cream will rise and they will be in the majors for the Braves. They will be blocking other arms in the minors with big league ability at some point in time. The quality and quantity of arms the Braves currently have in the minors is the best in baseball. I really don't see the Braves allowing all those guys walk with nothing in return. The owners have to open the pocketbooks now or sometime in the near future. With the new stadium and the success the team is already experiencing, people will come to games and buy merchandise and make them some money. The Braves need one or two bats and they become legit contenders for the foreseeable future.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    I love how they are going for the best available. They got a few “steals” from what insiders are saying.

I've only looked through rd 4 so far.
    The 2nd rd pick, Greyson Jenista has to recognize off speed pitches better. Even at the college level he bailed awkwardly too often.
    The 4th rd pick, pitcher Tristan Beck from Stanford missed the entire 2017 season with a back injury. He was rated a possible 1st rd pick before that. He wasn't as good in 2018 as he was in 2016, but he has ability.

• Options

@bmauldin said:

Really though, it's the slider that does the most damage. Steve Carlton and Randy Johnson both dodged the elbow bullet, but Smoltz, Bob Gibson and other all time greats weren't so lucky.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

Really though, it's the slider that does the most damage. Steve Carlton and Randy Johnson both dodged the elbow bullet, but Smoltz, Bob Gibson and other all time greats weren't so lucky.

This is why Clayton Kershaw is probably entering his decline. He throws both the curve and slider with vicious elbow twists.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

This is why Clayton Kershaw is probably entering his decline. He throws both the curve and slider with vicious elbow twists.

Plus his motion is the most awkward looking thing - too much stress on his body.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

Plus his motion is the most awkward looking thing - too much stress on his body.

He's been as good as there's ever been to this point in his career, but I agree he's not mechanically sound for the long run.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

A shocker, The Braves tried to low ball Stewart with a contract valued well below his spot in the draft and he opted to play college ball. This is fall out from the sanctions the old former GM brought about.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Potentially get the same pick in the upcoming 2019 draft so all is not lost

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1567898