Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves drafted a potential #1 starter last night...

2»

Comments

• Options
    godawgsgodawgs Posts: 326 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

A shocker, The Braves tried to low ball Stewart with a contract valued well below his spot in the draft and he opted to play college ball. This is fall out from the sanctions the old former GM brought about.

Definitely stinks, but in their defense his physical revealed wrist ligament damage. I wish teams could do physicals before the draft .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkingchop.com/platform/amp/2018/7/6/17537154/atlanta-braves-top-draft-pick-carter-stewart-chooses-not-to-sign-heading-to-school

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Not a “negative Nancy,” but

“Best curveballs” is a Concerning comment to me. Too many times these young guys throw too many growing up and it shreds their elbows long term.
    I know they checked and prodded him, but I hope he holds up.

@bmauldin I though it was "Debbie Downer?" GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:
    Not a “negative Nancy,” but

“Best curveballs” is a Concerning comment to me. Too many times these young guys throw too many growing up and it shreds their elbows long term.
    I know they checked and prodded him, but I hope he holds up.

Really though, it's the slider that does the most damage. Steve Carlton and Randy Johnson both dodged the elbow bullet, but Smoltz, Bob Gibson and other all time greats weren't so lucky.

This is why Clayton Kershaw is probably entering his decline. He throws both the curve and slider with vicious elbow twists.

The slider puts more strain on the elbow than any other pitch. From playing minor league ball I faced people like Pedro Bourbon and Steve Burgouis from the Rockies and they were nasty. That being said, those cats that get to the show are STUDS. Pedro for example told me (because I remember growing up watching him pitch for the Braves in 95 when we won it all) and I talked to him as much as possible; that his slider destroyed his arm. Nastiest pitch in baseball along with a solid changeup. I've worked with kids and current college players since leaving pro ball. And that strain on the elbow is why I always tell players you HAVE to have that 3rd pitch that you can go to; and be effective with em all. Yea there are ppl like Kimbrel that's dominant with only 2 pitches because both are A+ pitches. I'd love to know when we're gonna trade for an everyday catcher with some pop in his bat. We have to snag a closer and maybe another bench player though or it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs. Have to be able to protect a lead or we'll never see how good we could be.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The slider puts more strain on the elbow than any other pitch. From playing minor league ball I faced people like Pedro Bourbon and Steve Burgouis from the Rockies and they were nasty. That being said, those cats that get to the show are STUDS. Pedro for example told me (because I remember growing up watching him pitch for the Braves in 95 when we won it all) and I talked to him as much as possible; that his slider destroyed his arm. Nastiest pitch in baseball along with a solid changeup. I've worked with kids and current college players since leaving pro ball. And that strain on the elbow is why I always tell players you HAVE to have that 3rd pitch that you can go to; and be effective with em all. Yea there are ppl like Kimbrel that's dominant with only 2 pitches because both are A+ pitches. I'd love to know when we're gonna trade for an everyday catcher with some pop in his bat. We have to snag a closer and maybe another bench player though or it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs. Have to be able to protect a lead or we'll never see how good we could be.

I don't see a future star catcher in our minor leagues system. so I agree w/you that we'll likely have to trade for one. Our current corps - flo-zuki - as good as they are cannot go on forever. Puzzles me why we've not got at least a potential good starting catcher in our system - unless Contreras is that. I think our OF is set for the future with Acuna, Enciarte and Pache' coming up soon, along with a couple of others. A reliable closer would be nice. Infield looks solid with the 3 pups we now have, although the Braves keep talking about Riley as if he were the next Bob Horner. I don't see that, at least not yet. I think the GM will be busy at the trade deadline and we'll see what kind of deals he can come up with. Anything but a Texeira like deal, please. That still hurts.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Think @CZCashvilleDawg is right, we'll get no worse than the number 10 pick next year since Stewart didn't sign. Had heard a few weeks ago that there were problems with his physical that were causing his offer to be low, not surprised they couldn't agree on contract.

• Options

MSU got a good one. Imo he has outrageous stuff for a hs kid. Upper 90's guy with a tight slider and decent changeup. If we had signed him it could be a total bust or he could be a future Sherzer. I just think the front office didn't wanna take that chance because of the $. But we wouldn't have had enough to sign some people that I'm sure their really high on. 350k to this guy and 175k to this guy adds up fast. Imo they'll get two 1st round picks next year and should snag the best catcher that's draft eligible with the 1st one.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Think @CZCashvilleDawg is right, we'll get no worse than the number 10 pick next year since Stewart didn't sign. Had heard a few weeks ago that there were problems with his physical that were causing his offer to be low, not surprised they couldn't agree on contract.

I can't think of a pitcher whose career ended because of ligament damage in a wrist, elbows and shoulders have ended MANY though.
    I don't think this kid has a bad tear anyway.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    MSU got a good one. Imo he has outrageous stuff for a hs kid. Upper 90's guy with a tight slider and decent changeup. If we had signed him it could be a total bust or he could be a future Sherzer. I just think the front office didn't wanna take that chance because of the $. But we wouldn't have had enough to sign some people that I'm sure their really high on. 350k to this guy and 175k to this guy adds up fast. Imo they'll get two 1st round picks next year and should snag the best catcher that's draft eligible with the 1st one.

I'm not sure the organization can sign even 1 1st rd pick to slot money in 2019.

• Options

From what I've read on scouting and prospect sites him not signing is really gonna make next years draft a good one for the Braves. I think its just gonna depend who falls where in the draft and what we do in free agency etc. If they can get that stud that is an obvious big leaguer in the making I think they'll dish out the $. The Albies and Acuna types. I'd love to see us trade for a catcher. A guy with experience handling a pitching staff and still in his prime. We have SO many arms that are still pups. Soroka, Allard, Wright etc. Not all of these guys are gonna be on our staff in the future. They will all be in the show somewhere but we could solve a ton of problems with a trade or 2. Imagine if we had some pop batting 5th instead of Suzuki..

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    From what I've read on scouting and prospect sites him not signing is really gonna make next years draft a good one for the Braves. I think its just gonna depend who falls where in the draft and what we do in free agency etc. If they can get that stud that is an obvious big leaguer in the making I think they'll dish out the $. The Albies and Acuna types. I'd love to see us trade for a catcher. A guy with experience handling a pitching staff and still in his prime. We have SO many arms that are still pups. Soroka, Allard, Wright etc. Not all of these guys are gonna be on our staff in the future. They will all be in the show somewhere but we could solve a ton of problems with a trade or 2. Imagine if we had some pop batting 5th instead of Suzuki..

I'm still not clear on whether they'll be restricted on how much they can pay out on draft picks next year. Not having the full allotment to spend is why they low balled Stewart and why he chose to go to college.
    I know the team will still be restricted in it's international dealings in 2019 and 2020, but whether it has the ability to pay 2 players early 1st rd market value is something I haven't been able to learn so far.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

instead of Suzuki..

I'm still not clear on whether they'll be restricted on how much they can pay out on draft picks next year. Not having the full allotment to spend is why they low balled Stewart and why he chose to go to college.
    I know the team will still be restricted in it's international dealings in 2019 and 2020, but whether it has the ability to pay 2 players early 1st rd market value is something I haven't been able to learn so far.

I think/thought that the Braves only restrictions on what they can spend was in the international market. That is going to put a large dent in their farm system for a few years. They'll have to go more with college type players than their preferred route of signing HS kids. I think this goof-up in signing this wonderful prospect had mostly to do with medical issues. If they tried to lowball him as much as reported, it was pretty dumb.