Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Unpopular opinion(s) on Georgia. What is YOUR MOST UNPOPULAR OPINION???

13»

Comments

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ugadawgs07 said:
    Erk Russell would have won more national championships then Vince Dooley if he was head coach.

Running the triple option in the SEC? I doubt that. By the late 80s, nobody was running that offense in D-1 football with any real good results except for Nebraska. Even Oklahoma scrapped it by 1989. Colorado ran it for a few years, as did Notre Dame under Holtz. But nobody ran it like Nebraska.

Look no further than who his top assistant was and what he is doing in D-1 football running that offense.

Of course Nebraska's great run was AFTER the late 80s, so clearly the option had life back then.

Their BEST run was in the mid-90s, but they were running the triple option since at least the late 60s under DeVaney and then under Osbourne.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ugadawgs07 said:
    Erk Russell would have won more national championships then Vince Dooley if he was head coach.

Running the triple option in the SEC? I doubt that. By the late 80s, nobody was running that offense in D-1 football with any real good results except for Nebraska. Even Oklahoma scrapped it by 1989. Colorado ran it for a few years, as did Notre Dame under Holtz. But nobody ran it like Nebraska.

Look no further than who his top assistant was and what he is doing in D-1 football running that offense.

Of course Nebraska's great run was AFTER the late 80s, so clearly the option had life back then.

Their BEST run was in the mid-90s, but they were running the triple option since at least the late 60s under DeVaney and then under Osbourne.

wasn't the HC for the national champions a QB there...under Osborne?

• Options

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ugadawgs07 said:

Yep. Frost was the starter after Tommie Frazier. Nebraska won a title in 97 with Frost as the QB.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very glad that Frost went home to Nebraska instead of going to Gainesville.

• Options

@PTDawg said:

He will turn Nebraska around, IMO. They got away from what they did the best for 30-plus years. Frost will bring back that option-style game they are looking for again.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68

Erk was a defensive coach, he would have gotten an offensive coordinator and ran whatever system would work. Erk' s greatest ability was motivation, any of his former players at Georgia or Ga Southern will tell you how he could get the best out of them. Would have been successful at any level.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:

@UnderDog68

Erk was a defensive coach, he would have gotten an offensive coordinator and ran whatever system would work. Erk' s greatest ability was motivation, any of his former players at Georgia or Ga Southern will tell you how he could get the best out of them. Would have been successful at any level.

According to Paul Johnson, The whole coaching staff from GSU was on their way to Athens until the Goff hire pulled the rug out from under them. So I'm guessing that the Flexbone was the offense they were planning on using, unless Paul Johnson is just full of c r a p.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ugadawgs07 said:

Yep. Frost was the starter after Tommie Frazier. Nebraska won a title in 97 with Frost as the QB.

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ugadawgs07 said:

97, didn’t Nebraska and Michigan split the # 1 spot or something?

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68
    According to Paul Johnson, The whole coaching staff from GSU was on their way to Athens until the Goff hire pulled the rug out from under them. So I'm guessing that the Flexbone was the offense they were planning on using, unless Paul Johnson is just full of c r a p.

Would have been interesting, their offense was hard to stop when they had a good quarterback. I went to almost all of their home games when Erik was coaching. Would have loved to see Tracy Ham play against SEC defenses with some better talent around him. The problem would have been recruiting offensive players, offense doesn’t translate to getting players in the NFL.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@PTDawg said:

He will turn Nebraska around, IMO. They got away from what they did the best for 30-plus years. Frost will bring back that option-style game they are looking for again.

I think Frost is definitely an up and comer. Not the kind of coach we want in Gainesville. I'm not saying he would have been a guaranteed, slam dunk there but he seems to have a bit of the "it" factor as a coach as wonderfully vague and non- specific as I know that sounds. I think Mullen will be a solid, not spectacular hire for them. Frost has homerun potential, I'm.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Frost is a good coach. Still suits up in practice to show’em how to run the option. Glad he didn’t go to Fla.

• Options

@orlando said:
    97, didn’t Nebraska and Michigan split the # 1 spot or something?

Yep. Coach's poll had Nebraska #1; AP poll had Michigan.

Nebraska went 12-0 and then beat the tar out of #3 Tennessee in the Orange Bowl, 42-17.

Michigan went 11-0 and then beat #8 Wash. State in the rose Bowl, 21-16.

Nebraska beat the better and higher-ranked bowl opponent....Michigan had the tougher schedule.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tyson Campbell is NOT too tall.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

Whoa, hold on there pardner….that's stepping into dangerous territory, right there.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Jake Fromm and Justin Fields will both bring a ring to UGA as starters

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

Whoa, hold on there pardner….that's stepping into dangerous territory, right there.

THAT'S FUNNY!!! & like @donm said, that's also dangerous @JoelSidneyKelly ... careful, you don't want Mister "Wrath" to unleash a flurry of way too serious stuff in YOUR direction, do you??? Be careful my friend, besides it's all CMR's fault anyway, right? Wasn't CMR the one who lost all control of how tall that DB's like Tyson Campbell are growing up to be???

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

The term ''stretch corner'' takes on new meaning.
    He is a high shelf player. By that I mean he can reach the high shelves.