Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    Ace343Ace343 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just wanted to share on the ots Rusty said Joseph would count against this class if he signs. Just wanted to pass on that information.

• Options
    RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rusty may have said it, but that doesn't make sense to me. He's already signed with UGA once. If I understand the rules, he can't count twice.

• Options
    CHT78CHT78 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great find. comments below

15.02.3.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] An "initial counter" is a counter who is receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. (See Bylaw 15.5.6.3 in football for instances in which the institution is permitted to defer the counting of such financial aid until the following academic year.)

15.5.1.4 Cancellation of Aid - The counter here means as regard to the 85 and hence could be replaced by DRob. As I read it both Joseph and DRob however count as "Initials" as Joseph signed a LOI and DRob was awarded a scholarship before completing a full academic year before getting a scholarship. Comment - See 15.5.1.10.1.1

15.5.1.10.1.1 Application. [FBS] A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year. (Adopted: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12, Revised: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)

15.5.2 Head-Count Sports Other Than Football and Basketball.

15.5.6 Football Limitations. [FBS/FCS] - This is the section that relates to FBS so 15.5.6.4.1 is relevant to FB

15.5.6.3.7 Returning Two-Year Transfer. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who previously was an initial counter and who transferred to a two-year college shall not be an initial counter upon return to the original institution. Comment - this is the rule that suggests that Joseph would not count.

That's my interpretation but may be wrong. If so I would pass on him and go with either the 3 CB or 2 plus a 2020 safety such as JqC or preferably Williams if available.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Rusty Mansell is reeeeeally pushing the narrative that the Dawgs pulled out all the stops to try to get BJ Ojulari but are gonna come up short.

From hearing on this board and even the Dawgnation guys that BJ is a great player but not a need/fit, I can't figure out if he's trying to stir up drama while saying he's not or if he really believes this? 🤷‍♀️

• Options
    fibonaccisquaredfibonaccisquared Posts: 43 ✭✭✭ Junior

"trying to stir up drama"... We may have been in closer communication here to get him to delay or something, but until we see some kind of confirmation that there will be some remediation due to transfer portal losses, I can't see him in the final class.

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Then Rusty is flat out wrong. Wouldn't be the first time this off-season either.

But then again, people are still getting hung up on the 25 rule when it's been reported multiple times that the NCAA isn't paying that rule much attention going forward.

• Options
    NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

@Denmen185

I agree with your analysis and am not trying to poke holes in it, but an argument could be made that if you don't count as a "counter" then you wouldn't count as an "initial counter." If this argument worked, it seems the school would then be able to elect whether to use the two year Juco countback rule or write off their initial counter altogether.

15.02.3.1 An "initial counter" is a counter who is receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time.

15.5.1.4 if he or she voluntarily withdraws.... the individual no longer would be considered a counter

• Options
    HornedDawgsHornedDawgs Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like BJ is trending with UTjr. I was hoping for anywhere but there

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That could also hurt us with Gilbert with teammate Harrison Bailey already committed.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

15.5.6.3.3 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid During First Year. [FBS/ FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice during the first year of enrollment becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

This contradicts the article posted. This means the blue Shirt rule still exists so ignore my last 2 paragraphs on the previous post.

This discussion has been closed.