Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Free dawgpost article about the **** show Pruitt caused his last season at uga

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:

@WCDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@MidtownDawg said:
    IMO, the most powerful person in the UGA AD is the head coach.

Any resources that Kirby currently has that Richt did not is as much Richt's fault for not demanding as it is McGarity or any booster/admins fault for withholding.

Agree. The most powerful "people" in the UGA AD are the big time boosters. When there is a division with then, things can get a little dicey, and no one here can or will, convince me that boosters don't have any input into the AD decision making.

My take;

Boosters-

CMR - Good man. Good Coach. Good Leader. Not getting the program to the next level.

DC Pruitt- Good Coach. Headstrong. Not suitable for HC yet plus other issues.

Boosters to AD. " Make a Move.....or else..."

Conclusion:

Richt out, Smart in. Smart knows Pruitt......seeya!!

Boosters won!

Saban knew Pruitt, he said hiring him ''was a no brainer''.

Of course it was a "no brainer". When Kirby didn't retain Pruitt on his Staff, Pruitt was the best DC available to fill the spot Kirby vacated.

I'm not sure you see my point. Others suggest Pruitt was a virtual leper, yet he was Saban's clear #1 and Saban knew him well.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CMR has always been a Tom Landry kind of coach. Very cerebral, analytical and stoically clam no matter what. That drives the hot-heads crazy. Hyper-aggressive people have difficulty dealing with stoics. They interpret calmness as a lack of concern or disinterest. Pruitt and CMR were never going to get along. Too much personality conflict.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:
    Reading that article confirms what we know's gonna happen at rocky top. Fulmer vs Pruitt showdown!!!!111oneone

I'm not sure the biggest threat is a power struggle between Pruitt and Fulmer. I think the biggest threat is major NCAA violations. That program is absolutely desperate for relevancy. They need to win and win big now. We know what Fulmer is capable of regarding program oversight when he was a coach...now he's in charge of the whole dang athletic department. And the rules are even tighter since he last coached. Couple that with a hot-head new coach with very little experience and it smells like trouble ready to blow-up. I will bet a soda that UT will get major NCAA sanctions within 3 years.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    CMR has always been a Tom Landry kind of coach. Very cerebral, analytical and stoically clam no matter what. That drives the hot-heads crazy. Hyper-aggressive people have difficulty dealing with stoics. They interpret calmness as a lack of concern or disinterest. Pruitt and CMR were never going to get along. Too much personality conflict.

@pgjackson said:

Well, he wouldn't have had that particular problem with CKS, for sure. But Kirby knew what he wasn't getting into, that's for sure. He wanted none of it.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@WCDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@WCDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@MidtownDawg said:

Any resources that Kirby currently has that Richt did not is as much Richt's fault for not demanding as it is McGarity or any booster/admins fault for withholding.

Agree. The most powerful "people" in the UGA AD are the big time boosters. When there is a division with then, things can get a little dicey, and no one here can or will, convince me that boosters don't have any input into the AD decision making.

My take;

Boosters-

CMR - Good man. Good Coach. Good Leader. Not getting the program to the next level.

Conclusion:

Boosters won!

Of course it was a "no brainer". When Kirby didn't retain Pruitt on his Staff, Pruitt was the best DC available to fill the spot Kirby vacated.

I'm not sure you see my point. Others suggest Pruitt was a virtual leper, yet he was Saban's clear #1 and Saban knew him well.

I understand your point, but Saban looks past leprosy to fill his voids. Kiffen from USC to Bama. Pruitt from UGA to Bama. Butch Jones from UT to Bama (for whatever reason).....

Saban looks past baggage and hire's who can fill the void when he needs it most. With this said, my point is and has been, that UGA did not want to retain Pruitt nor did Kirby. When the Big Boys talk, the AD listens....

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

But stoically

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody got the scoop on Part 2? I need answers on how Schottenheimer turned our offense into one of the worst ever

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JKFlyfish said:

@Midnite_Train said:
    Anybody got the scoop on Part 2? I need answers on how Schottenheimer turned our offense into one of the worst ever

Summary: Schotty had absolutely no idea what he was doing and players never bought in.

Schottenheimer came with the understanding that he would keep the same offensive schemes that Bobo had. Instead, he scrapped Bobo's playbook and went with his own the first day of Spring drills. Of course, it was learning a whole new offense that required linemen that we didn't have to execute it. Pruitt, predictably, blew up about it and those 2 were at odds all year. So yea....Schottenheimer had no idea what he was doing, and the players knew it. S&C was also a joke.

Richt should have put both of them in check.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@WCDawg said:
    My take is Pruitt was right on every point I know about. Was he antagonistic towards some people ? I'm sure he was, but Kirby and everybody who cares about the program is now benefitting from his pushing a stagnant bureaucracy in to action.

You don’t think CMR would have been fired after the season unless Pruitt apparently became a cancer for the program? CMR days were done with the admin caught wind of Kirby entertaining the idea of of going to USC. Going off the article all he did was act like a fool, divide a program, and disrespect people.

@WCDawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@MidtownDawg said:

My take;

Boosters-

Conclusion:

Boosters won!

He also hired butch and sark right after they were fired...

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, if you need a laugh today, hop on over to the volnation board. The usual crazies over there are suggesting that this whole topic/storyline is being pushed by Georgia and Kirby Smart as a way to discredit Pruitt because we’re threatened/scared of him. Can’t make this stuff up.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    So, if you need a laugh today, hop on over to the volnation board. The usual crazies over there are suggesting that this whole topic/storyline is being pushed by Georgia and Kirby Smart as a way to discredit Pruitt because we’re threatened/scared of him. Can’t make this stuff up.

Crazies? It appears they have figured us out

• Options
    AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    This is what upsets me most about Richt. His early success was attributed to him being so heavily involved. Play calling duties etc. Somewhere along the line he choose to be more of an ambassador than a head coach. Then he goes to the U and does all the things we wanted him pick back up here. I’m happy with the change and happy for CMR too. But he created his own problems imo.

• 26 April 2006: Kathryn Richt diagnosed w/ cervical cancer
    • May-June 2006: Coach Richt "shuts down" for 2 months, decides that game-planning/play calling is too much of a "grind"
    • 19 November 2006: Coach Richt transfers OC responsibilities to Mike Bobo and becomes the program's "CEO"
  • Options
    AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CharlestowneDawg said:
    Today's Part II is a paid post :(

Pruitt influenced the hiring of OL Coach Rob Sale and Director of S&C Mark Hocke while Richt hired ILB Coach / Special Teams Coordinator (Defense) Mike Ekeler (even though the latter had never met Pruitt/Rocker/Sherrer). Coaches didn't stay in their lanes.

Moreover, Richt hired Schottenheimer (over Mike Bloomgren/Tyson Helton/Kurt Roper) to run Bobo's offense, but a few days before spring practice Schottenheimer opted to install his own (much to the consternation of players / assistant coaches which led to infighting). Players didn't believe in Schottenheimer's Alabama game plan. Then word leaked 2 days before the Florida game that 3rd-string QB Faton Bauta was going to start. Schottenheimer failed to leverage Bauta's strengths and refused to change things up when the Dawgs were down 20-0 at halftime. Then after the season Ekeler said in his exit interview w/ the AJC that Schottenheimer never got to run his offense. Bizarre.

Despite the dysfunction and some poor performances, Miami hired Richt as Head Football Coach on 2 December 2015, Texas A&M hired Hocke as their Football Director of S&C on 11 January 2017 (then Louisiana-Lafayette hired him in the same capacity on 30 December 2017 after Aggies' HC Kevin Sumlin was fired), Tennessee hired Jeremy Pruitt as Head Coach on 7 December 2017, Louisiana-Lafayette hired Sale as Offensive Coordinator on 20 December 2017, and the Seattle Seahawks hired Schottenheimer as Offensive Coordinator on 13 January 2018. Fwiw, it seems like when all the bad actors left the stage they were rewarded for their performances.

If you liked drama, then there was no need to watch the weekday noon to 3 p.m. soap operas. You just had to watch 2015 UGA Football’s “As the Stomach Turns."

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@UnderDog68 said:
    Anyone want to make any bets on whether or not CMR already had agreed to deal in principle with Miami after the Florida game? IMO, he did. Look at the timeline....

Miami fired their coach the week of our UF game. Miami says nothing about who their potential choices are for the next HC the last month of their season.

UGA wins out, but has terrible games against Ga. Southern, KY, Auburn, and GT....Richt is let go the day after the GT game....Miami hires Richt a few days later.

Y'all do the math......

Richt wanted to stay at UGA.
    The only reason he might have been looking is if he knew he was going to be let go.
    Remember when he flew to Washington State to see Eason ? That was an attempt to keep his job.

I'm going to guess he wanted to stay if he could, but his people and Miami's people were probably sending out feelers "just in case" and "to do due diligence" if an opportunity arose.

Say ''to do due diligence'' 10 times as fast as you can.

Can’t do it. Too hard!

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Chip_Towers said:
    No offense to DawgPost, but I've reported a lot of this on several different occasions, though more anecdotally usually, including this past week after Jeremy Pruitt's turn at SEC Media Days. There's a lot more that's not in Dean Legge's piece, too. Bottom line, Pruitt was an overbearing loose cannon on Georgia's campus and one who had the Bulldogs heading for trouble had he not been brought under control. That's why I think he could be great or awful for Tennessee, depending on how he operates without any meaningful checks and balances.

It’s possible Fulmer brought Pruitt in because he knew Pruitt wasn’t afraid to butt heads. The dysfunction at UT seems larger than the last 2 HC’s having been no good. The most obvious example, they waited until the last coach went absolutely winless in the SEC before they finally fired him. Can you imagine a coach going absolutely SEC winless at Georgia before he gets fired?

I forget what function it was, but I saw some recent comments from Pruitt where he was talking about how he’s been talking to Fulmer daily and was full of praise for the guy.

It’s possible Fulmer knows he’s gonna have to work on a relationship with someone like Pruitt. But figured they needed someone like that to handle the dysfunction at UT. Where even if he goes up in flames, at least he’ll bring some of the riff raff down with him? Someone like Richt in the other hand, he’d just go down. There will be no forest fires at Mark Richt’s funeral.

No real way to know what’s going on though till things start happening and stuff starts going public. We’ll have to wait and see.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt is a great defensive mind. And for a guy like Saban or Kirby who ain't gonna take you talking that **** to them he IS a good defensive coordinator hire. But him being able to walk over Richt made me lose alot of respect for CMR, but Pruitt wouldn't pull that with ole Nick and Bama didn't have all that to deal with when he went back. Shotty in Athens only happened because of his last name. But I'm amazed we even did as well as we did that year with the circus going on everyday. Pruitt is gonna recruit well at UTjr I already know. But from hearing what many of former starters said about him and how he handled SOME players instead of all makes me think him at UTjr will kinda be like when Kiffen was there. NO IDEA what your getting with an ego maniac running the show. But the hillbillies are desperate and hey at least he was their 10th choice lol. OMG I hate Tennessee!

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MidtownDawg said:

@greygoose01 said:

@Chip_Towers said:
    No offense to DawgPost, but I've reported a lot of this on several different occasions, though more anecdotally usually, including this past week after Jeremy Pruitt's turn at SEC Media Days. There's a lot more that's not in Dean Legge's piece, too. Bottom line, Pruitt was an overbearing loose cannon on Georgia's campus and one who had the Bulldogs heading for trouble had he not been brought under control. That's why I think he could be great or awful for Tennessee, depending on how he operates without any meaningful checks and balances.

Fulmer vs Pruitt = clash of the titans scenario. Both are power hungry. Meanwhile, the dumpster fire continues to burn!

One alternate, non red and black glasses take here would be to say that Pruitt has been loose under loose leaders and great under strict leaders like Saban. If you believe that, then a large part of his success or failure at UT could be determined by Fulmer's leadership style and whether it is more akin to Saban or CMR.

THIS will be how it shakes out.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

One of things this article and the related discussion really reveal is the actual secret sauce to Saban's unparalleled run. He does grind and work harder than everyone else, focuses on the smallest detail and he has a great grasp of defense. However, his greatest strength and what truly sets him apart is his ability to have an entire staff and program all row in exactly the same direction. He controls the message and everyone files in line. That is how he has been able to take other's cast-offs (Kiffin, Sarkisian, now Jones) and not miss a beat. I think it is also telling as to why some of his assistants who got head jobs have only had mixed success. It's also why I think Kirby has the best chance of replicating Saban's results because although he isn't a Saban clone, he understands "The Process" and is the best at modifying and implementing it.