Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Down Voting

Comments

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ain't going to read all this crap, but I will say we have had this problem in the past and it caused a few good posters on here to take a hiatus.

However, I will say it is irrelevant and I normally look at, but ignore, those that vote me down. It normally means they are a democrat and hate it when you don't see their point of view.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    Ain't going to read all this crap, but I will say we have had this problem in the past and it caused a few good posters on here to take a hiatus.

However, I will say it is irrelevant and I normally look at, but ignore, those that vote me down. It normally means they are a democrat and hate it when you don't see their point of view.

What does political party have to do with anything?Good Lord!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

was that a joke he was making about a political party?

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

• Are there rules about when you should/shouldn't downvote, or are we at an individual level trying to set the standards we measure for everyone else? I personally feel like anyone can downvote for any reason they want. It's just a button.
    • How do you enforce it? There aren't any repercussions to downvoting or incurring downvotes. There's literally no way to get everyone on the same page with how the buttons should be used.
    • The upvote/downvote function, at least the way it's set up on this forum, serves no function other than feeding the positive-reward feedback loop that gets people hooked. People get addicted to the little numbers of likes/upvotes/favorites/etc and keep coming back for more. Once you step out of the hamster wheel and see it for what it is it's much more relaxing and you can just talk sports.

Righto and an UV for you!, except there is an effect of down votes. That is, with enough DVs the comment is (partially) hidden. Only the header line shows. To see it, just click on the header - a message says it is "buried". (With a Flag, the comment is also hidden but there is a message?, I think, giving a quasi-warning. <- maybe)

My next post here will be a bump and comment about a hidden DV comment.

• Options

@12ed said:
    We need the DV count up to 1100 by the time we play Austin Peay or we won't win the NC

This ^^^ pathetic attempt at humour was down-voted 8 times with only 1 UV (a twisted soulless wretch). Elsewhere there was a hidden DV comment with only 5 DV and 1 UV. So, so many DVs will hide/bury a comment or so many DV in excess of UVs will bury a comment (it does math?) Doonknow.

So, what I have suggested is use the DV to disagree or protest like a normal person and not be so sensitive if your pearls of wisdom and manhood are not recognized by your peers for the gems that you believe them to be. AKA, man up in the parlance of our times.

• Options

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

I doubt it , me and @BamaDawg have a history, rocky at best. What he fails to realize is that the majority of the UGA football team identifies as democrat. But if it makes him feel good to bring politics into something so trivial then so be it. Let’s just stick to football @BamaDawg !

• Options
    edited July 2018

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

Yes it was, but you see the reaction it gets from some people. Some people (like @BigDawgEatin) have attempted to make this board sooooo bland that if you disagree with them, they take it personally. They don't want true disagreement or point counter point discussions. You see who was the only one who took offense. Go ahead and give it a try.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Upon further review, and now its 2 pages...

DV must have originally been set up as a disapprove/do not agree, as in -> no big deal. And the Flag was for serious matters.

I think that is how it should be used. Now if enough DVs merely shrink the comment down, then so be it. There is a flaw in the logic/human condition if a bunch of DVs gets a poster in trouble. Shouldn't work that way. Only a Flag should bring the wrath of khan on the poster.

So, everyone, please: LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS If dire consequences occur as a result of this advice, then I plead guilty of caring, okay? You can charge me with GUILTY OF CARING. And that is all..

A flag should garner attention for whoever uses it as well though.
    If somebody just wants to get revenge or has some other petty or selfish motive for targeting another poster, to me that would be worse than simply posting something a bit offensive.

• Options

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

Yes it was, but you see the reaction it gets from some people. Some people (like @BigDawgEatin) have attempted to make this board sooooo bland that if you disagree with them, they take it personally. They don't want true disagreement or point counter point discussions. You see who was the only one who took offense. Go ahead and give it a try.

No there were more. What's with the "disagreement or point counter point discussions"? Politics were not mentioned until you brought it up. What you did is equivalent to some rake that cannot keep it in his pants. Have some self-control. Stymie!

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

No there were more. What's with the "disagreement or point counter point discussions"? Politics were not mentioned until you brought it up. What you did is equivalent to some rake that cannot keep it in his pants. Have some self-control. Stymie!

No just you and bigdawg... what has being the first to bring it up have to do with anything? I didn't know we had rules that banned it, OH WAIT, we don't. This is unless its the unwritten rules that people like you and bigdawg want to impose. In my original post I pointed a finger at no one, NO ONE... I just made a general statement. Kind of like dropping a line in the water and seeing what bites. So lighten up coolieo....... Also I apologize but I dont understand the use of the term "rake" or "stymie."

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

No just you and bigdawg... what has being the first to bring it up have to do with anything? I didn't know we had rules that banned it, OH WAIT, we don't. This is unless its the unwritten rules that people like you and bigdawg want to impose. In my original post I pointed a finger at no one, NO ONE... I just made a general statement. Kind of like dropping a line in the water and seeing what bites. So lighten up coolieo....... Also I apologize but I dont understand the use of the term "rake" or "stymie."

I think he might have meant "stifle" as in Stifle it, Edith. Rake? A rake is a rambler, a roguish sort, but in a kind of good way. Not sure what he meant to convey by that.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@12ed said:
    We need the DV count up to 1100 by the time we play Austin Peay or we won't win the NC

This ^^^ pathetic attempt at humour was down-voted 8 times with only 1 UV (a twisted soulless wretch). Elsewhere there was a hidden DV comment with only 5 DV and 1 UV. So, so many DVs will hide/bury a comment or so many DV in excess of UVs will bury a comment (it does math?) Doonknow.

So, what I have suggested is use the DV to disagree or protest like a normal person and not be so sensitive if your pearls of wisdom and manhood are not recognized by your peers for the gems that you believe them to be. AKA, man up in the parlance of our times.

You completely don’t get the culture of this board yet.

The downvote system is largely used differently here than it I should on other boards you’ve been to.

You need to observe more.

As a charitable hint though, I will give you one piece of advice. Ignore 12ed because he will confuse the **** out of you and you are already confused to begin with.

Part of the reason I offer the advice is you seem hard headed and won’t listen anyway.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Upon further review, and now its 2 pages...

DV must have originally been set up as a disapprove/do not agree, as in -> no big deal. And the Flag was for serious matters.

I think that is how it should be used. Now if enough DVs merely shrink the comment down, then so be it. There is a flaw in the logic/human condition if a bunch of DVs gets a poster in trouble. Shouldn't work that way. Only a Flag should bring the wrath of khan on the poster.

So, everyone, please: LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS If dire consequences occur as a result of this advice, then I plead guilty of caring, okay? You can charge me with GUILTY OF CARING. And that is all..

A flag should garner attention for whoever uses it as well though.
    If somebody just wants to get revenge or has some other petty or selfish motive for targeting another poster, to me that would be worse than simply posting something a bit offensive.

That’s the bit a lot of newer people don’t seem to get. Your actions say more about you than the person you’re responding too. Downvoting just because you disagree means you’re intolerant of views you disagree with.

• Options

@BamaDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

No rules to DV either @BamaDawg !!!!

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

No rules to DV either @BamaDawg !!!!

Never said there was, I honestly don't care ..... DV away Captain Obvious.....

• Options

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

This is a place to escape political turmoil. But, people like you just can’t get it out of your brain just for a few minutes. You can make America Great Again all you want. But remember Kirby has already made the DAWGS GREAT AGAIN AND THATS MORE THAN ENOUGH!! Just leave politics out of it or you can......

• Options

@12ed said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

This is a place to escape political turmoil. But, people like you just can’t get it out of your brain just for a few minutes. You can make America Great Again all you want. But remember Kirby has already made the DAWGS GREAT AGAIN AND THATS MORE THAN ENOUGH!! Just leave politics out of it or you can......

Or what? Are you gonna make him get out of here tough guy?

Lol! Glad you are back, but I’m a female!

• Options

@12ed said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@12ed said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

Or what? Are you gonna make him get out of here tough guy?

Lol! Glad you are back, but I’m a female!

OK tough girl! That explains a lot!!!

You're posting like Danica Patrick in a Nascar race!!!! Horrible!!!

Yikes, lol...

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander you’re trash and your opinion is trash.

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

@donm said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BamaDawg said:

See, my point exactly... If you don't like something you can't just say "I disagree." No, you want the dissenter gone, banished, "YOU GET OUT OF HERE". I made one political reference (and it won't be my last) and you go bat s h i t. I honestly don't care rather you like it or not. Just go back to doing what you do best: posting useless crap, complaining about other posters, and DVing.

However, we do agree that Kirby is making our DAWGS great again.