Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Down Voting

Comments

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

It's clear, at least to me, that there are a variety of reasons why folks use the DV. I don't belong to any other forums than this one. Do others have a "I disagree with you" button? Maybe the use of the button for various reasons suggests we need various buttons?

Personally, I use the DV when I believe someone is rude or intentionally hurtful. Calling some one dumb, or an idiot or worse, can get my finger headed toward the DV button. The most recent DV I used was for someone calling someone else a pr!ck. Obviously, my own personal values/morals/ethics come into play here. I don't recall ever using DV to signal simple disagreement with someone's opinion. I do think a study of DV patterns would show they decline once football gets here, at least as long as the Dawgs are winning a lot.

I try to steer away from the same things, if you can't say something nice... I don't see a disagree button for other sites. I quit them all. But I think should have that feature here. That will stop some of the unnessary mess we deal with. That will leave a lot of people's point average alone, too.

Point average? What is that? What does one get points for? Are they redeemable for anything?

Lol nothing huge. Just goes to badges I guess. I don't care if you do it most of the time, I just don't like seeing every post I make getting a DV because of some guy in a basement trolling. We can debate all day no problem, until it becomes a problem.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

It's clear, at least to me, that there are a variety of reasons why folks use the DV. I don't belong to any other forums than this one. Do others have a "I disagree with you" button? Maybe the use of the button for various reasons suggests we need various buttons?

Personally, I use the DV when I believe someone is rude or intentionally hurtful. Calling some one dumb, or an idiot or worse, can get my finger headed toward the DV button. The most recent DV I used was for someone calling someone else a pr!ck. Obviously, my own personal values/morals/ethics come into play here. I don't recall ever using DV to signal simple disagreement with someone's opinion. I do think a study of DV patterns would show they decline once football gets here, at least as long as the Dawgs are winning a lot.

I try to steer away from the same things, if you can't say something nice... I don't see a disagree button for other sites. I quit them all. But I think should have that feature here. That will stop some of the unnessary mess we deal with. That will leave a lot of people's point average alone, too.

A grown man, on an internet forum, worried about point averages and dv's.

WOW!

I know right, what has the world come to.

• Options
    MidtownDawgMidtownDawg Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BrooklynDawg said:

You are correct.

Thank you for providing a PERFECT example of a post that deserves the down vote!

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:
    Wish I remembered the password to my 12ed account

:D

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I posted something like this my first 3 months because people would dv over differing opinions... got called a wuss and recd about 10 dvs. Lol.

I agree on petty dvs though.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrooklynDawg said:

@sauceddawg said:

it's starting to turn into Reddit.

Its not that bad yet. Ppl here don't think theyre actual analysts/reporters over here

True, but we are now getting the ego hounds that believe their opinion is gospel and if we go against it then we are the devil.

You are the devil.

• Options

@BrooklynDawg said:

@sauceddawg said:

Its not that bad yet. Ppl here don't think theyre actual analysts/reporters over here

True, but we are now getting the ego hounds that believe their opinion is gospel and if we go against it then we are the devil.

You are the devil.

• Options

@BrooklynDawg said:

@sauceddawg said:

You are the devil.

• Options

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

Point average? What is that? What does one get points for? Are they redeemable for anything?

40 likes gets you a free toaster.
    41 dislikes gets you hit over the head with that toaster.
    You don't gotta like it, but them's the rules.

• Options

@12ed said:
    We need the DV count up to 1100 by the time we play Austin Peay or we won't win the NC

Sorry for the up vote, I'll try harder.

• Options
    tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really? Are you that worried about your online reputation by a few downvotes because people disagree with your opinion? The only one i got mad at, at first, was the flag because i thought something would happen to my account. People get heated over anything these days.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed is back!!!! The DV champion! A fitting thread for him to make his glorious return.

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There ya go @12ed. Three more DVs for ya. Welcome back.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@JKFlyfish said:
    @12ed is back!!!! The DV champion! A fitting thread for him to make his glorious return.

Feels like he’s always been with us.

• Options

@ugaforever said:
    I got caught up in the down voting last year. I think most of those I down voted see that I'm over it. I up vote positive comments now. I apologize for being a **** in the past.

How utterly shameful, maybe God will forgive you.

• Options
    JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jarred_buck said:

@JKFlyfish said:

Feels like he’s always been with us.

Lol I wonder why? Cough Bojangles Cough