Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Down Voting

Comments

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@JKFlyfish said:

@jarred_buck said:

@JKFlyfish said:
    @12ed is back!!!! The DV champion! A fitting thread for him to make his glorious return.

Feels like he’s always been with us.

Lol I wonder why? Cough Bojangles Cough

Dude don't cough on the biscuits.

My bad! We need those so that @BojanglesInsider can give them to Webb and seal the deal at the reveal! Bama fans will be sh*ttin kittens!

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks for your kind words WCDawg. Down votes keep me up at night. I can barely function the next day. Evil grin.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    Thanks for your kind words WCDawg. Down votes keep me up at night. I can barely function the next day. Evil grin.

Evil bastuds is people too, I gave you a up vote for your vulnerabile admission.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I look forward to meaningful convo in the future.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    I got caught up in the down voting last year. I think most of those I down voted see that I'm over it. I up vote positive comments now. I apologize for being a **** in the past.

@ugaforever Even though you confessed, you didn't apologize. (!) But what is worse, you can undo your misdeeds. Find the errant DVs and click on the DV button again to clear it. Either that or be prepared to suffer terrible guilt pangs forever and one day.

On a serious note, a disagree/disapprove button would be nice, and might save a few sparks on replies. Also everyone should be more forthcoming on UVs. If someone puts an effort to compile stats, or get a reference or take most any effort away from simply replying, I'll UV even if I disagree with the conclusion - or at least will feel that I might UV . Anywho, think in terms of contribution to the dialogue and not just about whether or not your point of view is supported. Say good night, Gracie.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pls downvote this comment

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do think that som people accidentally hit the downvote button while trying to hit the up vote button. I have done the same and caught it to change it

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:

@TheSmartWay said:

Done!!!!!!111

The king has returned

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Upon further review, and now its 2 pages...

DV must have originally been set up as a disapprove/do not agree, as in -> no big deal. And the Flag was for serious matters.

I think that is how it should be used. Now if enough DVs merely shrink the comment down, then so be it. There is a flaw in the logic/human condition if a bunch of DVs gets a poster in trouble. Shouldn't work that way. Only a Flag should bring the wrath of khan on the poster.

So, everyone, please: LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS If dire consequences occur as a result of this advice, then I plead guilty of caring, okay? You can charge me with GUILTY OF CARING. And that is all..

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

It's clear, at least to me, that there are a variety of reasons why folks use the DV. I don't belong to any other forums than this one. Do others have a "I disagree with you" button? Maybe the use of the button for various reasons suggests we need various buttons?

Personally, I use the DV when I believe someone is rude or intentionally hurtful. Calling some one dumb, or an idiot or worse, can get my finger headed toward the DV button. The most recent DV I used was for someone calling someone else a pr!ck. Obviously, my own personal values/morals/ethics come into play here. I don't recall ever using DV to signal simple disagreement with someone's opinion. I do think a study of DV patterns would show they decline once football gets here, at least as long as the Dawgs are winning a lot.

I try to steer away from the same things, if you can't say something nice... I don't see a disagree button for other sites. I quit them all. But I think should have that feature here. That will stop some of the unnessary mess we deal with. That will leave a lot of people's point average alone, too.

A grown man, on an internet forum, worried about point averages and dv's.

WOW!

How does one find out his point average? > @12ed said:

@TheSmartWay said:

Done!!!!!!111

I was blessed to simply be a part of this historic event. Very humbling.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

DV's worry me so much.......for each 1 I get I lose an hours sleep each night.....have not been sleeping much lately

• BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most irrelevant thread to date. Good lord!

• BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls

, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    I got caught up in the down voting last year. I think most of those I down voted see that I'm over it. I up vote positive comments now. I apologize for being a **** in the past.

That's cool of you to say that... this group should be about positivity and only hating on anything in orange.

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls

, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

The only time I typically dv is when someone is being **** or abusive.

or is a troll from another team... like @jaynole81 or the guy from bama or the tools that come on during USCjr week... or FU week... etc

OU guys were pretty cool other than one guy talking smack about the big 12 being superior, but he even came back to give us respect
    ND guys were the nicest ever... they gave parking tips and invited everyone to tailgates, lol

@bmauldin said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

The only time I typically dv is when someone is being **** or abusive.

or is a troll from another team... like @jaynole81 or the guy from bama or the tools that come on during USCjr week... or FU week... etc

OU guys were pretty cool other than one guy talking smack about the big 12 being superior, but he even came back to give us respect
    ND guys were the nicest ever... they gave parking tips and invited everyone to tailgates, lol

Lol... this was either m e a n or something silly

• CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lots of solutions here...may I suggest: THICKEN YOUR SKIN

• CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2018
  • SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jgf1031 said:
    I think most of us here upvote something that we agree with. So is it really out of left field if we downvote something we disagree with?

Personally, I don't use the DV for disagreement. More for someone being a jerk. But that's just because I'm nice lol

I've never actually seen a forum where downvotes are supposed to be off-limits for just disagreeing. I think it stems from the notion that comments are upvoted or downvoted on merit. That might tend to be true, but it's far from it. So when someone gets a downvote they start coming up with reasons why it's wrong to have downvoted. Honestly, people are gonna disagree, and I don't think a downvote is that mean. It's whatever.

• SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2018
    • Are there rules about when you should/shouldn't downvote, or are we at an individual level trying to set the standards we measure for everyone else? I personally feel like anyone can downvote for any reason they want. It's just a button.
    • How do you enforce it? There aren't any repercussions to downvoting or incurring downvotes. There's literally no way to get everyone on the same page with how the buttons should be used.
    • The upvote/downvote function, at least the way it's set up on this forum, serves no function other than feeding the positive-reward feedback loop that gets people hooked. People get addicted to the little numbers of likes/upvotes/favorites/etc and keep coming back for more. Once you step out of the hamster wheel and see it for what it is it's much more relaxing and you can just talk sports.