Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why didn't NFL Televize our National Anthem? For me, that's even more offending... Just sayN'

DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Folks,

My family and friends know how much of a football fan I am. I really love the game and even aspired to play past high school, but that was denied due to my own doing (another story). Now the game I love and enjoy so much has become a disappointment. Last season, in 2017, I stopped watching all NFL games after the disregard for those "who fought, and died" for America and our freedoms.

Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. As long as the disrespect from the NFL and its players continues, I will not watch their games. However, I just might choose to watch the Dallas Cowboys because of Dak Prescott and the Jerry Jones' stand for America. The following letter from a retired Marine sez it all...

:(

«1345

Comments

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I watched one NFL game last year....the Superbowl. Don't plan on watching any this year either. They have lost touch with the public. The inmates run the place. Go to your work place and tell your boss that you want to stage a public protest in company uniform on company property and see what happens. Players are making unGodly amounts of money but many still think they are oppressed and believe this country is generally bad. Goddell is a weak, fearful leader who has literally cost the league BILLIONS of dollars in losses. I would love to see Jerry Jones tell the NFL F-U and do what he wants. What is the NFL going to do about it? The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. He is more important to the NFL than Goddell. Jones needs to be the Commissioner.

  • CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    As has been stated many times, the intent of the protest is not to disrespect our country's veterans. If one chooses to make it about that...then it is what it is. Players should be able to take a knee (knowing the inherent hiring/firing risks as NFL teams are private organizations) just as any of us can choose to watch or not watch. America!

    Why are NFL players protesting during the national anthem? Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin explain the issues: https://t.co/GDY8dR9wh6 pic.twitter.com/Su4DDLF1yz

    — Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 25, 2017
  • CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    They can have whatever intent they please. But if they offend their fans, their fans don’t have to watch.

    Exactly.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @CharlestowneDawg said:
    **As has been stated many times, the intent of the protest is not to disrespect our country's veterans. ** If one chooses to make it about that...then it is what it is. Players should be able to take a knee (knowing the inherent hiring/firing risks as NFL teams are private organizations) just as any of us can choose to watch or not watch. America!

    Why are NFL players protesting during the national anthem? Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin explain the issues: https://t.co/GDY8dR9wh6 pic.twitter.com/Su4DDLF1yz

    — Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 25, 2017

    It doesn't matter what their "intent" is. It does offend veterans and a whole lot of other people as well. That's what matters. Taking a knee distracts from their original intent. Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for. The players are too ignorant to realize that their protest isn't working. To be effective, they need to change their methods. And when the NFL as an organization allows it's employees to stage offensive protests in uniform, on company property on company time...well, then the NFL is complicit and supports the message. It's the same as if ALL the NFL is taking a knee. That's how I, and millions of others, see it.

  • DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @CharlestowneDawg said:
    As has been stated many times, the intent of the protest is not to disrespect our country's veterans. If one chooses to make it about that...then it is what it is. Players should be able to take a knee (knowing the inherent hiring/firing risks as NFL teams are private organizations) just as any of us can choose to watch or not watch. America!

    Why are NFL players protesting during the national anthem? Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin explain the issues: https://t.co/GDY8dR9wh6 pic.twitter.com/Su4DDLF1yz

    — Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 25, 2017

    There is a time and place for everything, and the disrespect for those who died for America and our freedoms while in uniform at work is NOT the time or place to express grievances of racial equality, injustice, and reforms needed in America. I could NOT bring up my political grievances while at work on company time without consequences.
    Even though they state that the purpose is NOT to disrespect America’s vets, that’s exactly what it does! I believe the protests during our National Anthem desecrates those who fought and died for our God given rights.
    I agree that folks have the right to lawfully protest and bring their concerns for change, but during the NFL games or anytime while playing the national Anthem is NOT the time or place. I also believe this is a spiritual issue, not a political one. In my opinion, the fix is: “We should treat others as we want to be treated, and love one another”. Respectfully…. Nuff said, and Go Dawgs! :smile:

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 21,957 mod

    I think more bc it’s preseason. I never remember them showing the national anthem in ANY sport on tv unless it’s the championship game

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @bobby said:
    " Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. "

    You're not paying attention.

    I am paying attention. This kneeling thing has become about respecting the flag and our nation, not about racial equality or police brutality (which was the original intent). Do something else that doesn't distract from the message. I support their right to voice their opinion, but doing it during such a sacred part of culture and national identity is incredibly offensive to millions. Even though these players say that aren't trying to offend veterans and others...they ARE offending us. That's when they need to realize that it's not working and come up with a better form of protest.

  • SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @pgjackson said:

    Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for.

    100% evidence that you’re ignoring everything you disagree with. It was 100% about police brutality. Protest is about whatever the protesters say it’s about, by definition. If I stand on the street corner and protest animal cruelty, nobody gets to tell me I’m disrespecting the elderly because I’m doing it on bingo night. My protest is what I say it is.

  • bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @pgjackson said:

    @bobby said:
    " Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. "

    You're not paying attention.

    I am paying attention. This kneeling thing has become about respecting the flag and our nation, not about racial equality or police brutality (which was the original intent). Do something else that doesn't distract from the message. I support their right to voice their opinion, but doing it during such a sacred part of culture and national identity is incredibly offensive to millions. Even though these players say that aren't trying to offend veterans and others...they ARE offending us. That's when they need to realize that it's not working and come up with a better form of protest.

    You're completely wrong. And on a personal note....Don't be such a snowflake.

  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

    @pgjackson said:

    Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for.

    100% evidence that you’re ignoring everything you disagree with. It was 100% about police brutality. Protest is about whatever the protesters say it’s about, by definition. If I stand on the street corner and protest animal cruelty, nobody gets to tell me I’m disrespecting the elderly because I’m doing it on bingo night. My protest is what I say it is.

    Well, if you stand on a flag while protesting animal cruelty, then your protest will likely be interpreted as something other than what YOU want it to be about. For a protest to be effective, it need to be focused and detract from the original message. The fact that these players know that millions of veterans and others are highly offended by their conduct, and haven't adjusted their method of protest, leads me to believe it is about anti-America/veteran/patriot sentiment.

  • SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @pgjackson said:

    @SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

    @pgjackson said:

    Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for.

    100% evidence that you’re ignoring everything you disagree with. It was 100% about police brutality. Protest is about whatever the protesters say it’s about, by definition. If I stand on the street corner and protest animal cruelty, nobody gets to tell me I’m disrespecting the elderly because I’m doing it on bingo night. My protest is what I say it is.

    Well, if you stand on a flag while protesting animal cruelty, then your protest will likely be interpreted as something other than what YOU want it to be about. For a protest to be effective, it need to be focused and detract from the original message. The fact that these players know that millions of veterans and others are highly offended by their conduct, and haven't adjusted their method of protest, leads me to believe it is about anti-America/veteran/patriot sentiment.

    No, it means that the supposed millions aren’t listening to the ones protesting. They’re just kneeling. They aren’t standing on flags, burning them, or turning their backs to the flag. They’re still saluting them, for **** sake. That is not disrespect.

  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I served 20 years defending our country. I take it personally, however they have a right to protest even as it destroys the very thing they have worked so hard to achieve.

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    So, let me get this straight. People can do or say what they want so long as their "intent" is clearly stated? Doesn't matter if the word or action is offensive to others because the "intent" was not to offend? When I acted silly growing up, my mom would call me a "****". My sister still calls me that playful name. But if the word is applied to an African-American who acts silly, it is racist no matter the intent.

    Don't tell us the action or word doesn't matter if the "intent" is not to offend. Kneeling during the anthem, regardless of intent, is offensive.

  • otis1105otis1105 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    The nfl handled it poorly from the start. That being said I wish instead of making it about kneeling that once Kap and others got recognition for what they were doing, I wish they had taken that message and their influence to contact their sentators/congressmen/police commissioners and talked about issues and tried to impact real change. Instead it caused more division and each extreme dug even further into their views. And it’s caused more issues than solution.

Sign In or Register to comment.