Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why didn't NFL Televize our National Anthem? For me, that's even more offending... Just sayN'

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    Every form of protest is dismissed, somehow, by those who want to ignore what’s wrong.

You can look back at civil disobedience during the civil rights movement in the 60s, where MLK and countless other American heroes were told to shut up and show some respect. That marching in streets or refusing to move on the bus was disrespectful. “It’s disrespectful” has always been the #1 crutch of those who oppose progress.

I’m not saying that anyone who has the opinion that kneeling is disrespectful is racist. I am, however, suggesting that people think long and hard about underlying motivations and our human faults/weaknesses that may be leading us to use the excuse of “it’s disrespectful” or “it’s offensive” to quiet protestors.

I agree in general, but protesting during the national anthem will always be offensive no matter what. I am sympathetic to their cause, but completely offended by their method. Now it’s to the point where it’s become a “you can’t tell me what to do” deal...and the NFL is scared to put it’s foot down.

Banning things because they offend some people is beyond being a slippery slope, it's out right un-American.

• Options

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Spare me your fake patriotism - You voted for a guy with 5 bone spur deferments who criticizes gold star families and POWs.
    But Colin took a knee.......

It's mind numbing how so many people have blinders on when it comes to Trump.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:

@Teddy said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@greshamdisco said:
    The original point was made. At this stage, it is more about the players proving they can override the owners’ desires and grandstand. When are the 1% of the players satisfied with an accomplished goal? What’s the endgame? Is your method of protest helping or hurting your cause? If your protest has no strategy, it is just a power struggle and a players v owners thing now, nothing about a policeman or kid getting hit. Players: put your money where your mouth is - invest in poorer communities. Meanwhile, stand up and show respect to your customers.

Fortunately you are not the customer, the advertisers are, as long as the don’t care, the NFL can give two shyts about your opinion. You guys care about disrespecting the flag sooooooo much, but don’t say a word about a President who blatantly disrespects and embarrasses the entire nation on a daily basis.

Not getting into the political debate, as this topic seems to pop up every month or two, but we are the NFL’s customers. Those advertisers wouldn’t advertise if there were no eyeballs watching. And for better or worse, there’s been a decent drop in who’s watching the NFL right now.

All tv is dropping. As far as I am aware, NFL lost fewer viewers relative to other television last season.

Incorrect, in regards to sports. Many sports are dropping, but not all, and there's not a sport dropping as drastically as the NFL. It's true that TV is dropping overall, but streaming/alternative devices still count as viewership, and those are on a drastic rise. Either way, I was replying to the guy who thought that people watching the game don't matter in what the NFL thinks. But if he's only worried about the advertisers, here's a little excerpt from a Business Insider article:

Marketers have put NBCUniversal on notice: Stop covering NFL players' national-anthem protests, or we'll pull our ads.

That's according to Linda Yaccarino, the chairman of advertising sales at NBCUniversal, who spoke during a keynote interview at an event held Friday in New York at the ad agency R/GA.

Yaccarino said no advertisers had pulled out of NFL games because of the protests, but that advertisers were telling the network that could change.

"Marketers have said, 'We will not be part of the NFL if you continue covering it,'" Yaccarino said.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:
    **As has been stated many times, the intent of the protest is not to disrespect our country's veterans. ** If one chooses to make it about that...then it is what it is. Players should be able to take a knee (knowing the inherent hiring/firing risks as NFL teams are private organizations) just as any of us can choose to watch or not watch. America!

Why are NFL players protesting during the national anthem? Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin explain the issues: https://t.co/GDY8dR9wh6 pic.twitter.com/Su4DDLF1yz

— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) September 25, 2017

It doesn't matter what their "intent" is. It does offend veterans and a whole lot of other people as well. That's what matters. Taking a knee distracts from their original intent. Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for. The players are too ignorant to realize that their protest isn't working. To be effective, they need to change their methods. And when the NFL as an organization allows it's employees to stage offensive protests in uniform, on company property on company time...well, then the NFL is complicit and supports the message. It's the same as if ALL the NFL is taking a knee. That's how I, and millions of others, see it.

It must be doing something, it’s got you taking the time out of your day, to call some young talent black men ignorant, for no apparent reason. You sir need to open your eyes and ears, maybe turn off Fox Mews for a while.

They are ignorant of the fact that their protest is ineffective in it ‘s original intent. The discussion has morphed into a disrespect of the flag issue and not police brutality issue. They are ignorant, or at least unsympathetic, of the fact that kneeling during the anthem is HIGHLY offensive to many veterans. They are ignorant of the fact that kneeling during the anthem is HIGHLY disrespectful to the flag and what it stands for....America. It is not the flag of the police. It is the flag of our country. The Anthem is supposed to be the one time everyone stands in unity.

You are ignorant to black homicide by people paid to protect. You are unsympathetic/disrespectful for ignoring state sponsored genocide. The flag is worthless to a people who pledge aligence to a country that has no aligence to them. Until you understand that you will keep making these ill-informed simplistic statements.

State sponsored genocide? Ok, you are clearly not dealing with reality. Your bias is revealed. It is worthless to try to have a discussion with someone who thinks this is happening.

When the president and other elected official say nothing, then yes, the country is implicit in the form of genocide. You are not in reality. Why? Because you see things from only one racial and probably gender lens.

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Spare me your fake patriotism - You voted for a guy with 5 bone spur deferments who criticizes gold star families and POWs.

I guess the degree into which they are offended differs based on the color of the offenders skin

• Options

@Steve_Zissou said:

@WCDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

I guess the degree into which they are offended differs based on the color of the offenders skin

Not always, not even close to always.
    Many whites deplore the man.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:
    **As has been stated many times, the intent of the protest is not to disrespect our country's veterans. ** If one chooses to make it about that...then it is what it is. Players should be able to take a knee (knowing the inherent hiring/firing risks as NFL teams are private organizations) just as any of us can choose to watch or not watch. America!

Why are NFL players protesting during the national anthem? Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin explain the issues: https://t.co/GDY8dR9wh6 pic.twitter.com/Su4DDLF1yz

It doesn't matter what their "intent" is. It does offend veterans and a whole lot of other people as well. That's what matters. Taking a knee distracts from their original intent. Literally NOBODY is talking about the protest being about supposed police brutality. The only thing that has come of this is that it is an offense to the country and what the flag and anthem stands for. The players are too ignorant to realize that their protest isn't working. To be effective, they need to change their methods. And when the NFL as an organization allows it's employees to stage offensive protests in uniform, on company property on company time...well, then the NFL is complicit and supports the message. It's the same as if ALL the NFL is taking a knee. That's how I, and millions of others, see it.

It must be doing something, it’s got you taking the time out of your day, to call some young talent black men ignorant, for no apparent reason. You sir need to open your eyes and ears, maybe turn off Fox Mews for a while.

They are ignorant of the fact that their protest is ineffective in it ‘s original intent. The discussion has morphed into a disrespect of the flag issue and not police brutality issue. They are ignorant, or at least unsympathetic, of the fact that kneeling during the anthem is HIGHLY offensive to many veterans. They are ignorant of the fact that kneeling during the anthem is HIGHLY disrespectful to the flag and what it stands for....America. It is not the flag of the police. It is the flag of our country. The Anthem is supposed to be the one time everyone stands in unity.

You are ignorant to black homicide by people paid to protect. You are unsympathetic/disrespectful for ignoring state sponsored genocide. The flag is worthless to a people who pledge aligence to a country that has no aligence to them. Until you understand that you will keep making these ill-informed simplistic statements.

State sponsored genocide? Ok, you are clearly not dealing with reality. Your bias is revealed. It is worthless to try to have a discussion with someone who thinks this is happening.

When the president and other elected official say nothing, then yes, the country is implicit in the form of genocide. You are not in reality. Why? Because you see things from only one racial and probably gender lens.

I'm with you overall but genocide is not accurate.

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

No ****- I'm talking about the morons offended by anthem kneelers but idolize a man that mocks gold-star families and POWs.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@JayDog said:
    So, let me get this straight. People can do or say what they want so long as their "intent" is clearly stated? Doesn't matter if the word or action is offensive to others because the "intent" was not to offend? When I acted silly growing up, my mom would call me a "****". My sister still calls me that playful name. But if the word is applied to an African-American who acts silly, it is racist no matter the intent.

Don't tell us the action or word doesn't matter if the "intent" is not to offend. Kneeling during the anthem, regardless of intent, is offensive.

Killing unarmed black American citizens is also offensive. Downright disgusting!!! Wonder what would happen if y’all saw Chubb or Fields wrongly gunned down at the hands of the police, or brutilized to the point of paralysis or something. How would you feel be honest?

There are many ways, times, and places to express your free speech. No one is saying don't protest--just don't tell me the form of protest is not offensive because the intent is noble. it is not about the cause. You totally miss the point.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    Every form of protest is dismissed, somehow, by those who want to ignore what’s wrong.

You can look back at civil disobedience during the civil rights movement in the 60s, where MLK and countless other American heroes were told to shut up and show some respect. That marching in streets or refusing to move on the bus was disrespectful. “It’s disrespectful” has always been the #1 crutch of those who oppose progress.

I’m not saying that anyone who has the opinion that kneeling is disrespectful is racist. I am, however, suggesting that people think long and hard about underlying motivations and our human faults/weaknesses that may be leading us to use the excuse of “it’s disrespectful” or “it’s offensive” to quiet protestors.

I agree in general, but protesting during the national anthem will always be offensive no matter what. I am sympathetic to their cause, but completely offended by their method. Now it’s to the point where it’s become a “you can’t tell me what to do” deal...and the NFL is scared to put it’s foot down.

Banning things because they offend some people is beyond being a slippery slope, it's out right un-American.

The NFL already knows they are losing money over the protests. They wouldn't be spending so much time addressing the problem otherwise. Ban the protest or not--They've lost me as a customer. I won't spend my "entertainment" dollar on stuff I can get for free on the news every night of the week.

• Options

@sauceddawg said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

I'm with you overall but genocide is not accurate.

It isn't close to genocide, black on black crime comes far closer, but it's not close either.
    Black on black murder, poor family and community environs, low education levels, unemployment, etc, etc.
    There are many negative factors that negatively impact black and other minority communities far more than police do.
    Still there is a problem that goes beyond statistics. When you're make to fear police simply because of where you live and/or how you look, it's insidious.
    I've wondered how many times I could swallow being stopped, questioned and disrespected before I became radical, not that many I think.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

The NFL already knows they are losing money over the protests. They wouldn't be spending so much time addressing the problem otherwise. Ban the protest or not--They've lost me as a customer. I won't spend my "entertainment" dollar on stuff I can get for free on the news every night of the week.

''Well..bye''

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:
    I watched one NFL game last year....the Superbowl. Don't plan on watching any this year either. They have lost touch with the public. The inmates run the place. Go to your work place and tell your boss that you want to stage a public protest in company uniform on company property and see what happens. Players are making unGodly amounts of money but many still think they are oppressed and believe this country is generally bad. Goddell is a weak, fearful leader who has literally cost the league BILLIONS of dollars in losses. I would love to see Jerry Jones tell the NFL F-U and do what he wants. What is the NFL going to do about it? The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. He is more important to the NFL than Goddell. Jones needs to be the Commissioner.

well said!

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

Before I start, this OP is POLITICAL and should be closed (or whatever it is to get rid of it.) It is under General category, but should be OFF TOPIC if anything.

I am a veteran and not offended. I've come to question why there is a NA at a paid commercial event in the first place. It is likely because the NFL and other pro sports get exemption from anti-trust, and it is a rah-rah for that. Originally I thought it was a cold war thing but the NA was played before WW2 in some venues. Regardless, if there is no NA, then there is no kneeling, etc. to put sensitive ones' panties in a bunch. Keep that in mind.

My solution is to play the NA before the teams take the field. Issue solved, unless some other millionaire team employees decide to kneel. Get over it. Support efforts to raise the level of hiring, training and diversity in your local police forces. That is a positive response.

Amen

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

It’s there first amendment right to kneel.I here people say I can’t protest on my job so why should they!! Well they have more leverage than the average guy working an 8-5.Your boss can just fire you and get another guy who will do the job just as good.You fire the NFL players from there job then you don’t have the NFL anymore.You have a league on par talent wise to the Canadian Football League.As a black man I really appreciate what they are standing for.I have been a victim of police brutality many times so what they are doing for the regular person who has been marginalized in society is noble.I have asked over ten former veterans how they feel about the NFL protest.They have told me that it’s there right to protest and have no issue with it. A couple of the veterans said they would never protest if there were a player.However all the veterans that I talk too realized the players are using there first admendment right to shine a light on a serious issue in America that needs to be fixed.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

My family and friends know how much of a football fan I am. I really love the game and even aspired to play past high school, but that was denied due to my own doing (another story). Now the game I love and enjoy so much has become a disappointment. Last season, in 2017, I stopped watching all NFL games after the disregard for those "who fought, and died" for America and our freedoms.

Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. As long as the disrespect from the NFL and its players continues, I will not watch their games. However, I just might choose to watch the Dallas Cowboys because of Dak Prescott and the Jerry Jones' stand for America. The following letter from a retired Marine sez it all...

...... :(

The moderators of dawgnation should be ashamed that this OP wasn't blocked within the first few hours. The participants should be ashamed for not Flagging the comment. At this time, I am the only one who did. I'll support what my viewpoint even though this is a waste of my time as 1. the OP should have been blocked through some mechanism, and B. the participants should know better than to post something like this, and III. I doubt this will do any good whatsoever.

1. It is blatantly political. Trumpov has put out that this is a current topic (NFL, 'flag abuse') to push to deflect from the ****-storm that he will soon face. It is political just from the prior history of the topic.
    2. 247sports this week notified the Junkyard to stop with the politics and religion. Well, the **** gets squeezed and it has to go somewhere, which is here. How about that!
    3. There should be a mechanism, manual or automatic, that at least alerts the moderator that something bad is afoot. Based on that alert, someone should take action to review what is going on and either block or unblock as is appropriate.
    4. The OP didn't identify the team. UGA is in GA but WE are all over. But moreover, there is no specificity as to which team, and in the current, no facts is okay environment, who is to say that it actually occurred? Fake news by the fakers?
    5. What happens during a NA that needs televising (not televizing - perhaps in the OP's Rossiya, it's 'televizing', but here in 'murica, it is televising)? Do you super-patriots stand and sing along at home, or just scratch your ass again?
    6. A protest about police brutality is perverted into a false charge of 'flag' abuse, and against veterans. Well, as I stated, I am a veteran. I want to live in a country that lives its ideals. I want my local police to do their tough job without abuse of their position and without murder. They are ONE PART of the justice system. They are not the jury and have NO PART in the punishment. So, the OP itself is nonsense and should be barred for that alone.
    7. There is no imperative to have the NA at a professional football game. None. Zip. There is no imperative to televise it. None Zip. Eliminate it. As I suggested earlier, if the NA is needed for whatever purpose, do the ceremony with the teams in the locker rooms. Everybody lives. So OP's point is based on nothing.
    8. The NA is a symbol. The NA wasn't in place until about 80 years ago (1930s). The USA survived about 140+ years without one. We fought the British and Spanish and Mexicans and Germans and Austrians and their allies without it. During that time as to national anthems, NA would have stood for NOT APPLICABLE.

This should be a no politics zone. **** politics. But get out to vote. Some **** are going down. Yeah, buddy.

• Options
    SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@FirePlugDawg said:

The moderators of dawgnation should be ashamed that this OP wasn't blocked within the first few hours. The participants should be ashamed for not Flagging the comment. At this time, I am the only one who did. I'll support what my viewpoint even though this is a waste of my time as 1. the OP should have been blocked through some mechanism, and B. the participants should know better than to post something like this, and III. I doubt this will do any good whatsoever.

1. It is blatantly political. Trumpov has put out that this is a current topic (NFL, 'flag abuse') to push to deflect from the ****-storm that he will soon face. It is political just from the prior history of the topic.
    2. 247sports this week notified the Junkyard to stop with the politics and religion. Well, the **** gets squeezed and it has to go somewhere, which is here. How about that!
    3. There should be a mechanism, manual or automatic, that at least alerts the moderator that something bad is afoot. Based on that alert, someone should take action to review what is going on and either block or unblock as is appropriate.
    4. The OP didn't identify the team. UGA is in GA but WE are all over. But moreover, there is no specificity as to which team, and in the current, no facts is okay environment, who is to say that it actually occurred? Fake news by the fakers?
    5. What happens during a NA that needs televising (not televizing - perhaps in the OP's Rossiya, it's 'televizing', but here in 'murica, it is televising)? Do you super-patriots stand and sing along at home, or just scratch your ass again?
    6. A protest about police brutality is perverted into a false charge of 'flag' abuse, and against veterans. Well, as I stated, I am a veteran. I want to live in a country that lives its ideals. I want my local police to do their tough job without abuse of their position and without murder. They are ONE PART of the justice system. They are not the jury and have NO PART in the punishment. So, the OP itself is nonsense and should be barred for that alone.
    7. There is no imperative to have the NA at a professional football game. None. Zip. There is no imperative to televise it. None Zip. Eliminate it. As I suggested earlier, if the NA is needed for whatever purpose, do the ceremony with the teams in the locker rooms. Everybody lives. So OP's point is based on nothing.
    8. The NA is a symbol. The NA wasn't in place until about 80 years ago (1930s). The USA survived about 140+ years without one. We fought the British and Spanish and Mexicans and Germans and Austrians and their allies without it. During that time as to national anthems, NA would have stood for NOT APPLICABLE.

This should be a no politics zone. **** politics. But get out to vote. Some **** are going down. Yeah, buddy.

This is spot on. Completely agree.

• Options
    strange_noahstrange_noah Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

Those saying they are disrespecting the troops and those who died do realize that Kapernick before he started this asked a veteran what was the most respectful way he could protest during the anthem right? He told Kap to kneel.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

My family and friends know how much of a football fan I am. I really love the game and even aspired to play past high school, but that was denied due to my own doing (another story). Now the game I love and enjoy so much has become a disappointment. Last season, in 2017, I stopped watching all NFL games after the disregard for those "who fought, and died" for America and our freedoms.

Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. As long as the disrespect from the NFL and its players continues, I will not watch their games. However, I just might choose to watch the Dallas Cowboys because of Dak Prescott and the Jerry Jones' stand for America. The following letter from a retired Marine sez it all...

If you believe in protest and the first amendment, then you should have no problem with the OP’s comment. He said nothing but that people should stand for the anthem. It’s within his rights to believe that. You want it shut down and flagged because it differs from your view. Who should be ashamed now?

• Options

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

8. The NA is a symbol. The NA wasn't in place until about 80 years ago (1930s). The USA survived about 140+ years without one. We fought the British and Spanish and Mexicans and Germans and Austrians and their

If you believe in protest and the first amendment, then you should have no problem with the OP’s comment. He said nothing but that people should stand for the anthem. It’s within his rights to believe that. You want it shut down and flagged because it differs from your view. Who should be ashamed now?

There is a simple way to deal with a thread that one deems as off topic or not appropriate (the title of this one is clear as to content)--there is a very simple solution--don't click on it. Don't comment. Avoid the very behavior you claim to be against.