Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Ole Miss logo and mascot

Comments

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t say the word s-tupid in my post? That’s ****.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So UNLV is still the rebels (remember those nasty Jerry Tarkanian Runnin Rebels)...just change the mascot and connotation and everyone is happy. I like the patriot rebels idea. I understand why the mascot was offensive but there's no reason to change the nickname when the only offense about it is the fact it represented Confederate rebels.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WildDawg said:
    So UNLV is still the rebels (remember those nasty Jerry Tarkanian Runnin Rebels)...just change the mascot and connotation and everyone is happy. I like the patriot rebels idea. I understand why the mascot was offensive but there's no reason to change the nickname when the only offense about it is the fact it represented Confederate rebels.

I like your thinking. Maybe they can be the Star Wars rebels and have a Wookie as their mascot?

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@DawgBones said:
    Just makes me appreciate Hairy Dawg even more. Got to admit the one other mascot that I really get a kick out of is Stanford's Tree. The students change the tree costume every year so it's always interesting to see what trippy look they come up with.
    The Tree's also got a history of questionable incidents.
    https://deadspin.com/5137438/horny-inebriated-stanford-tree-a-menace-to-decent-society

Amazing.

I also like Standford's Tree mascot, but probably not in the same way as Uncle Jim:

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They are still the Ole Miss Rebels, I think some people have it confused.

The defense have been calling themselves the Landsharks for over a decade, the school has now just adopted the nickname for the entire team. Sort of like if Nebraska started calling the entire team the Blackshirts.

Landsharks makes more sense then the black bear they tried to instill a few years back because Miss fans have ben doing the Fins Up for years.

The change needed to happen. Ole Miss needs to move as far away from their Confederate history as possible. How any self respecting man could play in front of this is beyond me. Sick:
    https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1439,w_2560,x_0,y_0/dpr_2.0/c_limit,w_740/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1492122223/articles/2015/10/31/between-ole-miss-and-me/151030-stevens-olemiss-tease_t7d9cn

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who thinks Confederacy and all they think about is slavery is really ignorant. But it’s not surprising you get so much of that these days. Turn on the TV and look at what passes as “news”. The media is aware it’s pointless to try to market themselves to an informed audience.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Midnite_Train said:
    They are still the Ole Miss Rebels, I think some people have it confused.

The defense have been calling themselves the Landsharks for over a decade, the school has now just adopted the nickname for the entire team. Sort of like if Nebraska started calling the entire team the Blackshirts.

Landsharks makes more sense then the black bear they tried to instill a few years back because Miss fans have ben doing the Fins Up for years.

The change needed to happen. Ole Miss needs to move as far away from their Confederate history as possible. How any self respecting man could play in front of this is beyond me. Sick:
    https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1439,w_2560,x_0,y_0/dpr_2.0/c_limit,w_740/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1492122223/articles/2015/10/31/between-ole-miss-and-me/151030-stevens-olemiss-tease_t7d9cn

So, this is going to be another of those Auburn schizoid mascot situations.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:
    There was nothing traitorous about the Confederacy.
    What could the prime reason be: $$ as usual.

Sorry but your post made me LOL.

The southern states seceded from the country, an illegal act in the US, and attacked the United States Union FIRST. What could possibly be more traitorous than that?

And you're right about $$ being the prime reason..and what was the foundation of the southern economy? Oh yeah, the working of the plantation by SLAVES. The Confederacy literally went to war to protect the institution of slavery.

@levander said:
    Anyone who thinks Confederacy and all they think about is slavery is really ignorant.

LOL again, heres some quick quotes from a Wiki article for you:

"Historian Drew Gilpin Faust observed that "leaders of the secession movement across the South cited slavery as the most compelling reason for southern independence"

"The statesmen who led the secession movement were unashamed to explicitly cite the defense of slavery as their prime motive ... Acknowledging the centrality of slavery to the Confederacy is essential for understanding the Confederate."

"According to historian Avery O. Craven in 1950, the Confederate States of America was created by secessionists in Southern **** states who believed that the federal government was making them second-class citizens and refused to honor their belief that slavery was beneficial to the Negro"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America

Yall are really making me SMH. Point blank period the Confederacy were a bunch of racists people who believed that other human beings were less than human and deserved to be enslaved, worked, raped, tortured, and mutilated as pleased.

Continue to look at your southern roots with rose tinted glasses I guess. SMH. Go Dawgs

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander said:
    Anyone who thinks Confederacy and all they think about is slavery is really ignorant. But it’s not surprising you get so much of that these days. Turn on the TV and look at what passes as “news”. The media is aware it’s pointless to try to market themselves to an informed audience.

Your whole post is "really ignorant". The "news" has nothing to do with it, it's history. I recognize that history doesn't look favorably on the Confederacy but that's precisely because their prime motive was so wrong in it's fundamental, human nature. I also recognize that there was more to it than JUST slavery...the south was about to have a very large wrench thrown in their economy, and they weren't going to take that lying down. I get that...it still doesn't mitigate their defense for owning, beating, and controlling other human beings. Full stop. And if you think that wasn't their prime directive, I'm afraid you're not only on the wrong side of history, but you have your history all wrong.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, not only ignorant, but indignant about being ignorant.

I particularly enjoyed you guys using an online message board (Wikipedia) as a basis to form your argument.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The country was very different back then. It was a collection of sovereign states, each with it's own government. States were essentially independent and loosely organized as a larger confederation (check out the Articles of Confederation of 1777 which preceded the Constitution of 1787) for the common good and common defense. Allegiance was to the state, not the "nation". The military was organized by states. State governments were the seats of power. So when we say it was treasonous for the south to secede, well, it's not that simple. There wasn't the kind of federal ownership back then that there is now. In fact,MANY northern politicians were perfectly fine with the south leaving and seriously questioned Lincoln's Constitutional authority to stop them. The south considered itself a new nation when it seceded, therefor it could not be treasonous since they were not trying to overthrow the USA. They thought they had the legal right to do their own thing. Unfortunately, the Constitution didn't address states leaving the "Union" or slavery.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Colonel Reb was awful, and the black bear seemed out of place, but this Shark mascot has fad written all over it. My guess is there will be a new one within five years.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith said:
    Colonel Reb was awful, and the black bear seemed out of place, but this Shark mascot has fad written all over it. My guess is there will be a new one within five years.

I agree @MikeGriffith. This is like the Toronto NBA team naming themselves the Raptors because Jurassic Park was huge at the time.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well. I guess someone has flagged this thread because it’s now requiring approval of comments. I thought we were just having a reasonable debate.

• Options

Seems reasonable to me, I don't know anything about a "flag" -- who would have a problem with us saying Ole Miss' new mascot (in its current form) stinks?

I mean, you're there near the Mississippi River, how about a Catfish?

• Options
  • Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thankful to be a Dawg, I am.

It occurs to me that if Stanford can be the Cardinal (singular), Ole Miss can be the Confusion.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One more important point.....it’s Ole Miss...who cares?