Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I've been moved to 12 hour weekend shifts....I hate everybody....

Comments

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really hate it for you @WCDawg. I’ve been there and done that and it truly sucks (for lack of better words). No Dawg fan should have to suffer like this! I used to DVR and ignore everyone/everything as much as possible and hope that the outcome didn’t get ruined for me. Here’s to hoping this is very temporary!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DobroMattInOz said:

@WCDawg said:
    I'm guessing you've looked around for expats who might have banded together and devised a patch through ?

Yeah, no Dawgs, but one Clemsonite who's a cool guy (actually went to Austin Peay for undergrad). A couple NFL fans. There are options; it's just a big pain.

There are many expats here, but Australia tends to attract the kind of folks who are only soccer or surfing fans. You know--sports for the thinking man.

Hate it for your work schedule, but congrats on the promotion.

Have you looked into Unlocator, the smart DNS proxy service ? It's not expensive, heck, you might could make money running a football watching underground speakeasy for expats.

• Options

@jarred_buck said:
    I really hate it for you @WCDawg. I’ve been there and done that and it truly sucks (for lack of better words). No Dawg fan should have to suffer like this! I used to DVR and ignore everyone/everything as much as possible and hope that the outcome didn’t get ruined for me. Here’s to hoping this is very temporary!

Thanks JB, GO DAWGS !

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wife is making me go away for this Labor Day weekend to celebrate 30 years of marriage! I'd like to celebrate at Sanford Stadium with 90000 of our friends. But it's just one weekend and I still get to watch the game live, so I prefer my shoes. Good luck!

• Options

@Lefty13 said:
    Wife is making me go away for this Labor Day weekend to celebrate 30 years of marriage! I'd like to celebrate at Sanford Stadium with 90000 of our friends. But it's just one weekend and I still get to watch the game live, so I prefer my shoes. Good luck!

Happy wife, happy life.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

I work on weekends but am usually able to get out by 3pm to watch any game that starts after. If it's a noon kick I usually have my phone playing the game in the storage closet and sneak peeks about once every 15 minutes. plus another buddy of mine will have the game on his work laptop and if it's slow enough I'll scoot over and watch that way. Although I think our company blocked all ESPN sites.

best of luck to you though....maybe Lowe's can start selling TVs and you just have the game on whatever channel

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DobroMattInOz: “I live in Australia. I cannot watch games. Instead, ESPNAus-NZ supercedes college football for, at best, tennis or, at worst, European League soccer.

Furthermore, I am daily subjected to the parochial trash from loser Aussies about how American football is inferior because the players are fat, slow, s t u p i d, and wear pads.

Go Dawgs!”

You live in Australia and you are complaining??? I spent a week there in July 1969 on R&R from Vietnam. Beautiful city (Sydney), beautiful women. Best week of my life. The next few months, not so good.

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

You live in Australia and you are complaining??? I spent a week there in July 1969 on R&R from Vietnam. Beautiful city (Sydney), beautiful women. Best week of my life. The next few months, not so good.

You're right; Australia is a very nice place to live, and I do gripe way to much. I'm glad you enjoyed it here!

• Options

@DobroMattInOz said:

You're right; Australia is a very nice place to live, and I do gripe way to much. I'm glad you enjoyed it here!

I still hope to spend 2 months touring down yonder. I'd like to visit both Australia and New Zealand on my walk about.
    The loose plan is to retire in 4 years and spend a year traveling before deciding what use I can be afterwards.

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still hope to spend 2 months touring down yonder. I'd like to visit both Australia and New Zealand on my walk about.

You could do it all in two months, for sure. I haven’t been to NZ yet, but my wife spent about a week there recently and loved it.

• Options

@DobroMattInOz said:

You could do it all in two months, for sure. I haven’t been to NZ yet, but my wife spent about a week there recently and loved it.

The ruff sketch is to spend 5 weeks touring Australia, then shuttle to The South Island of NZ and spend 3 to 4 weeks touring while making our way north. A lot will depend on health of course.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So you gotta just record it and hide from modern media/technology till you get back to watch it.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:
    So you gotta just record it and hide from modern media/technology till you get back to watch it.

I'll watch the replay, but we have a floor full of Dawg fans, I'll hear about it at work after break. That's ok, I'll still enjoy watching, as long as we win of course.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How bout the watchespn app?

• Options

@Dawg1419 said:
    How bout the watchespn app?

I think it's blocked in most overseas markets.
    I don't understand why that is, it seems ESPN want everybody to have access to ALL their products.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In addition to liking WC’ s experience, they also needed somebody to could finangle into working 12 hour **** on the weekends. All the other guys already on the job probably just fussed about having to do that too much.

Climbing the corporate ladder just never seems to end.

Best of luck on retiring WC! Doesn’t sound like you have too much longer to go.

If you’re still on the job next year, I bet you can fuss your way out of working weekends next year. Just like all those kids at Home Depot did that drove you nuts. Or is fussing so you can watch the Bulldogs on Saturdays somehow conveniently justified and not the same thing?

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2018

I must already be pre-gaming for Saturday... I thought @WCDawg said he was taking 12-hour weekend s h i t s ! :D
    Either way (whether working or working ON one), @WCDawg, we're sorry for your predicament! We'll pull them through for you. Hang in there, brother! #GoDawgs

• Options

@levander said:
    In addition to liking WC’ s experience, they also needed somebody to could finangle into working 12 hour **** on the weekends. All the other guys already on the job probably just fussed about having to do that too much.

Climbing the corporate ladder just never seems to end.

Best of luck on retiring WC! Doesn’t sound like you have too much longer to go.

If you’re still on the job next year, I bet you can fuss your way out of working weekends next year. Just like all those kids at Home Depot did that drove you nuts. Or is fussing so you can watch the Bulldogs on Saturdays somehow conveniently justified and not the same thing?

I've got just under 4 years to be at full retirement age.
    Depending on where I'm at on the job and health wise when I turn 66, it's possible I might take a leave of absence to travel, then return at reduced hours and work till I'm ready to stop completely.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, my job works me two complete weekends in a row, then two weekends off. So this season, I work for weeks 1, & 2, off for 3, & 4, work 5, & 6, off 7, & 8, work 9, & 10, off 11, & 12. So I feel 50% of the pain. Thank goodness for the DVR.

• Options

@christopherules said:
    Yes, my job works me two complete weekends in a row, then two weekends off. So this season, I work for weeks 1, & 2, off for 3, & 4, work 5, & 6, off 7, & 8, work 9, & 10, off 11, & 12. So I feel 50% of the pain. Thank goodness for the DVR.

Thank God for flush toilets, air conditioning and broadcast taping.