Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fed up with SOME Pro Athletes!

Comments

• StatDawgStatDawg Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

Wages have not kept pace with revenues...the TV contracts worth billions are something that has only been happening for about the last 25 years........Players in all pro sports are vastly underpaid

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

supply / demand .... pro sports demand is on a steady decline....inside pro sports there are popular personalities....demand for those= high...problem is.... there are lots more avenues now for popular personalities to be created.

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GordonBombay said:
    Isn’t it crazy that the societal norm is to attack the poorer people in a situation whether it’s these kinds of talks or even minimum wage discussions. We are all relatively poor in the grand scheme of things. Why do we side with these “smart and clever” billionaires?

I wonder this same thing. I mean - we all are relatively broke in the big picture and I think most, if not all of us, could make the argument that we are underpaid for the work and results we deliver but instead of all demanding some kind of increase - we squash the people who are demanding more.... it's strange really.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    More are brats behind the scenes than many think.
    They all have PR experts, the ones who make the news are just the ones who don't have the discipline to play the media game.

Why don't you put in the morning workouts, the lifting workouts, the film study, the position meetings, the practices tackling and pounding with the best athletes in the world, the physical therapy, games against the best athletes in the world and the merciless criticism from twitter fanatics and then after you have lived just one week in their shoes, if you can last a week, then why don't you come back to us and complain about them being brats.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GordonBombay said:
    Isn’t it crazy that the societal norm is to attack the poorer people in a situation whether it’s these kinds of talks or even minimum wage discussions. We are all relatively poor in the grand scheme of things. Why do we side with these “smart and clever” billionaires?

Because I'd like to think most of us believe in capitalism, regarding your billionaire question. Also, we're one of the richest countries in the world, with a very high quality of life, how are we relatively poor in the grand scheme of things? Our poor are better off than a lot of people throughout the rest of the world.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    More are brats behind the scenes than many think.
    They all have PR experts, the ones who make the news are just the ones who don't have the discipline to play the media game.

Why don't you put in the morning workouts, the lifting workouts, the film study, the position meetings, the practices tackling and pounding with the best athletes in the world, the physical therapy, games against the best athletes in the world and the merciless criticism from twitter fanatics and then after you have lived just one week in their shoes, if you can last a week, then why don't you come back to us and complain about them being brats.

Do I get their pay too, for as long as I feel like taking the pounding? If so, count me in. Not saying I agree with @WCDawg original statement, just saying that most of us would happily take beatings for millions of dollars.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:
    Most pro athletes are good people and extremely hard workers. Most are appreciative of the fans and the lifestyle that sports has afforded them. But, some are spoiled brats: claim they are like slaves or animals in a zoo. If they feel that exploited, why don’t they quit? Nobody is forcing them to play games for lots of fame and money. Or, maybe I’m just getting cranky in my old age?

Maybe bc they are putting their bodies on the line and don't feel fairly compensated for it compared to the billionaire owners.

I'm always on the side of labor instead of the dusty white dude cutting the checks

Obviously you are not a business owner.

As stated by the OP, no one is making them do it. Second, during my 22 years in the military I put my life, not just my body, on the line and I didn't make one million total. And I have no doubt my boss, the commander in chief made more than me every year.

Secondly...no one is making you watch. If you have a problem with pro sports? Change the channel

True, and I don't... but that doesn't mean that the guy can't complain about it.

But that doesn't address your comment about them putting their bodies on the line. Everyday in America there are a 1,000,000 people who do a riskier job than these guys do once a week and they don't make a million in their life, much less in a week. And they are working for dusty white dudes, and crusty black dudes, and grumpy mixed dudes, and whoever.

When they can get 80k people to pay to watch them do risky stuff I’m sure their salaries will be adjusted accordingly

So now you want to change your arguement now that your old arguement has been shot down.
    Classic........ well let see if I can shoot this one down also.....

The TV show COPS has been going for 29 years. Has been watched by millions. You think those cops that appeared on the show got anything?

Ok we can go back to your argument then. If these people risking their lives aren’t happy with their compensation...couldn’t they quit too? If they’re so unhappy why not just get another job. They too knew what they were signing up for.

Also you don’t have to get so nasty about it. We’re both dawg fans having a conversation on the internet

I think that's what many do. I don't see firefighters and cops striking/sitting out all that much. I guess there is an occasional "blue flu" kind of things, but it's pretty rare. If cops in NYC get a raise, Chicago cops don't "sit out" and demand more $ like our friend Julio did. I don't begrudge athletes any money they can make - it's what the market will bear kind of thing, right? But once a contract is signed, I think it should be honored until it's time for the next one.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@GordonBombay said:
    We are all relatively poor in the grand scheme of things.

In the grand scheme of (economic) things we are closer to Jerry Jones than to an orphan in Malawi.
    A heated debate using a computer on an internet forum about "how tall is too tall for a D1 CB" is the epitome of first world problems. I may not have a mansion or a private Jet, but I have an iPhone, a computer, a car, a roof, food, running water; I thank my God every day for being relatively rich.

I Tim 6:1-12

Preach. Amen.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

@GordonBombay said:

Because the millionaires are black

• JMFDJMFD Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:
    Most pro athletes are good people and extremely hard workers. Most are appreciative of the fans and the lifestyle that sports has afforded them. But, some are spoiled brats: claim they are like slaves or animals in a zoo. If they feel that exploited, why don’t they quit? Nobody is forcing them to play games for lots of fame and money. Or, maybe I’m just getting cranky in my old age?

Maybe bc they are putting their bodies on the line and don't feel fairly compensated for it compared to the billionaire owners.

I'm always on the side of labor instead of the dusty white dude cutting the checks

Obviously you are not a business owner.

As stated by the OP, no one is making them do it. Second, during my 22 years in the military I put my life, not just my body, on the line and I didn't make one million total. And I have no doubt my boss, the commander in chief made more than me every year.

Secondly...no one is making you watch. If you have a problem with pro sports? Change the channel

True, and I don't... but that doesn't mean that the guy can't complain about it.

But that doesn't address your comment about them putting their bodies on the line. Everyday in America there are a 1,000,000 people who do a riskier job than these guys do once a week and they don't make a million in their life, much less in a week. And they are working for dusty white dudes, and crusty black dudes, and grumpy mixed dudes, and whoever.

When they can get 80k people to pay to watch them do risky stuff I’m sure their salaries will be adjusted accordingly

So now you want to change your arguement now that your old arguement has been shot down.
    Classic........ well let see if I can shoot this one down also.....

The TV show COPS has been going for 29 years. Has been watched by millions. You think those cops that appeared on the show got anything?

Ok we can go back to your argument then. If these people risking their lives aren’t happy with their compensation...couldn’t they quit too? If they’re so unhappy why not just get another job. They too knew what they were signing up for.

Also you don’t have to get so nasty about it. We’re both dawg fans having a conversation on the internet

Didn't mean to sound testy, this is just a subject that gets to me.

I never said that these people where unhappy with their lives. As for your question, yes they can quit, and they do. This is my point exactly with these athletes, if they are unhappy then quit, just like the average Joe. With the average salary in the US around $40000 (just a swag), I just can't see how people can defend millionaires who complain. Don't get me wrong, these are very special people with very special skills and they should get every penny that the market will bear, I'm just not going to feel sorry for them.

@StatDawg said:
    Wages have not kept pace with revenues...the TV contracts worth billions are something that has only been happening for about the last 25 years........Players in all pro sports are vastly underpaid

Hilarious...
    The wages are exactly where the free market has set them. Let me ask you something, if a receiver that averages 20 touchdowns and 1000yds a year gets a 10,000,000 a year contract only scores 10 TDs and 500yds the following year, should he forfeit half his salary? Of course not, that is the risk that the owners take.

edited August 2018

@Steve_Zissou said:

@GordonBombay said:

Because the millionaires are black

S.t.u.p.i.d response

@JoeClark said:

@GordonBombay said:

I wonder this same thing. I mean - we all are relatively broke in the big picture and I think most, if not all of us, could make the argument that we are underpaid for the work and results we deliver but instead of all demanding some kind of increase - we squash the people who are demanding more.... it's strange really.

If we gave everyone a 50% raise, what do you think would happen? How much do you think gas would cost, or milk, or the cable bill, etc, etc....? People don't seem to understand that if a business has to increase their wages, they are going to increase their prices. Then instead of the poverty line being $25000, it will be $37500.

I am all for people getting paid what they are worth. That worth is set by what the market will bear. Lastly, I can't understand how someone can feel sorry for someone who is making more in one year than the average person makes in a lifetime. A few months ago Facebook stock fell and Zuckerberg lost like 5 BILLION in one day. Am I suppose to feel sorry for him?