Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fed up with SOME Pro Athletes!

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most pro athletes are good people and extremely hard workers. Most are appreciative of the fans and the lifestyle that sports has afforded them. But, some are spoiled brats: claim they are like slaves or animals in a zoo. If they feel that exploited, why don’t they quit? Nobody is forcing them to play games for lots of fame and money. Or, maybe I’m just getting cranky in my old age?

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    Most pro athletes are good people and extremely hard workers. Most are appreciative of the fans and the lifestyle that sports has afforded them. But, some are spoiled brats: claim they are like slaves or animals in a zoo. If they feel that exploited, why don’t they quit? Nobody is forcing them to play games for lots of fame and money. Or, maybe I’m just getting cranky in my old age?

Yes and Yes? LOL

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@AndersonDawg said:

Your two questions are in bold, above. Answers, in order:
    Why would you think we would have that answer? Wouldn't you ask them? Hire a survey firm.
    You are the best judge of that. Do a self-assessment or seek professional help (not a pro football player - the other kind).

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:

Probably the old age thing

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@AndersonDawg said:

Maybe bc they are putting their bodies on the line and don't feel fairly compensated for it compared to the billionaire owners.

I'm always on the side of labor instead of the dusty white dude cutting the checks

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

45 more hours...

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get off my lawn skippy

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

Maybe bc they are putting their bodies on the line and don't feel fairly compensated for it compared to the billionaire owners.

I'm always on the side of labor instead of the dusty white dude cutting the checks

Some people play the piano, others carry it. I think the owners aren't carrying. One answer is to own a team. Not sure that NFL pays that well. Need to switch to baseball and basketball.

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

Some people play the piano, others carry it. I think the owners aren't carrying. One answer is to own a team. Not sure that NFL pays that well. Need to switch to baseball and basketball.

They would have the worst players union if it weren't for the NHL. MLB has the best for sure. NBA will depend on this contract coming up.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

More are brats behind the scenes than many think.
    They all have PR experts, the ones who make the news are just the ones who don't have the discipline to play the media game.

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

They would have the worst players union if it weren't for the NHL. MLB has the best for sure. NBA will depend on this contract coming up.

Baseball has a 25 man roster, basketball has a 12 man roster, The NFL carries 55, plus a practice squad and there's no minor leagues for revenue.
    It's a different business model than other sports. The pie is divided into more pieces.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

Baseball has a 25 man roster, basketball has a 12 man roster, The NFL carries 55, plus a practice squad and there's no minor leagues for revenue.
    It's a different business model than other sports. The pie is divided into more pieces.

Sure there is, it's called college football and the owners and universities keep all the money. The most money gets brought in by the NFL and players should be rewarded accordingly.

Also, Lebron James only makes $7M more than Miguel Cabrera. This is lunacy and an example of why the MLB has the best union. Lebron James should be making AT LEAST $50M a year only playing games

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

In this case both sides are self serving and greedy. The players union could have pushed for fair compensation for retired players with debilitating injuries decades ago. They preferred to keep the cash for themselves, in affect they colluded with ownership.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

In this case both sides are self serving and greedy. The players union could have pushed for fair compensation for retired players with debilitating injuries decades ago. They preferred to keep the cash for themselves, in affect they colluded with ownership.

Couldn't the super rich billionaire owners have done the same thing?

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

The NFL uses collective bargaining with ownership and the players' union representing the 2 sides.
    Any revenue sharing has to go through this process.

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

Sure there is, it's called college football and the owners and universities keep all the money. The most money gets brought in by the NFL and players should be rewarded accordingly.

Also, Lebron James only makes $7M more than Miguel Cabrera. This is lunacy and an example of why the MLB has the best union. Lebron James should be making AT LEAST $50M a year only playing games

The NFL uses collective bargaining in which players and owners agree to the percentage of revenues that go to each side.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

The NFL uses collective bargaining with ownership and the players' union representing the 2 sides.
    Any revenue sharing has to go through this process.

My point still stands. Super rich billionaires could've pushed just as hard as the rich millionaires.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Owners hold the power. If you don’t like it, they’ll get new players. Lebron, Cabrera, etc. could all walk and live comfortably. Lower tier players need the paychecks and will play for a few million. The next “Lebron” has to sign for the going rate, as he/she hasn’t cashed any checks. Not saying it’s right, but it’s the benefit of being a business owner, you hold more power and make more money. These owners are starting to buy these teams for billions, so they have a lot invested before they make they’re money back as well. Do players want to invest billions to have the same or more power? If so, they can start their own league, and then they’d be the owners looking out for themselves too. Starting the whole cycle over. Moral of the story, be the owner. ;)

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@AndersonDawg said:

Obviously you are not a business owner.

As stated by the OP, no one is making them do it. Second, during my 22 years in the military I put my life, not just my body, on the line and I didn't make one million total. And I have no doubt my boss, the commander in chief made more than me every year.