Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What surprised you about the South Carolina game?

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm surprised but probably shouldn't be by Georgia fans complaining about our performance against SC as if we should have done something - run better, pass downfield, sack their QB, play our freshman QB instead of the guy who took us to the NC game last year, etc. - something they think important.

Are we perfect? Will we improve? Can we beat Alabama? Can we beat Kentucky? These might be important questions, but we just did a major league stomp-down of a good team favored by numerous pundits to win the game.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace said:
    I'm surprised but probably shouldn't be by Georgia fans complaining about our performance against SC as if we should have done something - run better, pass downfield, sack their QB, play our freshman QB instead of the guy who took us to the NC game last year, etc. - something they think important.

Are we perfect? Will we improve? Can we beat Alabama? Can we beat Kentucky? These might be important questions, but we just did a major league stomp-down of a good team favored by numerous pundits to win the game.

Go, Dawgs!

where can one get one of them "pundit" jobs? Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to qualify for one. Main skill seems to be ignorance. I got that.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:

@DobroMattInOz said:
    Pleased by Holyfield’s excellent game. Surprised Dawgs were not sacking Bentley.

Yeah, I expected at least four sacks, and I think we had one.
    We should blitz more. Or, should we? Try a stunt, and it gets picked up or you leave a running lane open for a big gain. Blitz a LB or CB at the wrong time and you could be exposed to a big pass completion.
    No, this coaching staff has figured out that you can play great defense without the high risk/high reward of blitzing. Hold your blocks at the interior line and run delayed blitzes with guys like D. Walker or Patrick. Brilliant.

Bentley isn't a runner... but both last year and this year he has been slippery against us. We get pressure and he seems to be able to squirm away and get the ball out. Both games I remember seeing plays where I was thinking "we got a sack here"... and he just slipped away.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bentley is a very good QB.

Our dominance was truly impressive. Going into the game and during parts of the second quarter I wondered if I'd gone too far out on a limb predicting we'd win by 17 points. South Carolina is a good team.

The tv pundits may be surprised at the beatdown we administered, but they are very good at pointing out how we did it. Excellent defense. Dominant O-line. Efficient passing. Excellent running game.

South Carolina is a good team and we flat out killed them. By half way though the third quarter there was nobody in the place who thought SC had any chance. Their fans were going home.

Most fanbases would love to have a team like ours. Too many Georgia fans are somehow disappointed.

I'm elated. I also trust the Kirby knows what he's doing and has a plan. Even if he doesn't as long as we win every game by one point that's all that matters.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My surprises have already been stated. I was also surprised Crumpton didn’t run on that one punt. I keep wanting to see him flash

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The announcers didn't mention Cackalacky's helmets.

• Options
    Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JimWallace said:
    What shocked you or surprised you as you watched our team play South Carolina, or as you reflect back on the game?

I expected Georgia to win by at least 17 points, so the final score was not a surprise. But there were a few.

• How good South Carolina looked.
    • How SC dominated on both offense and defense for a while in the first half.
    • How little I saw of DRob.
    • How vanilla our offense was for the most part (but why change it if you're always up).
    • How quickly the fickle South Carolina fans left the game once their delusional hopes and dreams turned to smoke.

Which was your favorite of these surprises? Mine was watching the SC fans leave and seeing the empty seats.

This was a very good game for our team I think. Character building. Confidence building. Tough. Challenging. Physical. The game was - as Florida fans like to say, and as South Carolina fans now have my official permission to say - a lot closer than the scoreboard indicated.

What surprised you?

Go, Dawgs!

Carolina coming out without a RB slinging it everywhere. They were really touting their balance this year.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How well this team makes adjustments in the locker room.

It’s a thing now.

• Options

@DobroMattInOz said:
    Pleased by Holyfield’s excellent game. Surprised Dawgs were not sacking Bentley.

Bentley has remarkable pocket awareness.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:
    How well this team makes adjustments in the locker room.

It’s a thing now.

according to reports there were not really many tactical adjustments made - more like an attitudinal adjustment to get back to basics.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had mentioned earlier this week how this game could be the reverse of what happened to us with the Alabama blackout game - crowd hyped, team hyped, and a lot of emotional momentum coming in to the game. “There’s a new sheriff in town” kind of swagger... Then reality sets in within the first ten minutes, and the fans are left stunned. UGA is going to dominate the East for the next ten years the way Alabama has the West. Glad to be a Dawg.

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@greshamdisco said:
    I had mentioned earlier this week how this game could be the reverse of what happened to us with the Alabama blackout game - crowd hyped, team hyped, and a lot of emotional momentum coming in to the game. “There’s a new sheriff in town” kind of swagger... Then reality sets in within the first ten minutes, and the fans are left stunned. UGA is going to dominate the East for the next ten years the way Alabama has the West. Glad to be a Dawg.

CKS will only be 43 in December. 10 year dominance seems a tad low. Maybe 20-25

• Options

I can’t see him
    Coaching any other college teams at this point. I wonder if he would leave for an NFL hc job.

The thought of him coaching in Athens for the next 15 years takes me to my happy place.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@MODawg said

Good point. How many coaches will come & go in Gainesville, Knoxville and all the other “villes” in the process? For those of us who endured the Goff and Donnan year’s and remember our fans tearing down the goalposts when we finally beat Tennessee at home, it has been a long time coming.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:

I can’t see him
    Coaching any other college teams at this point. I wonder if he would leave for an NFL hc job.

The thought of him coaching in Athens for the next 15 years takes me to my happy place.

I agree about the other college positions. Why would he leave? The only move that would make sense is Bama and CKS HAS BEEN A DAWG SINCE BIRTH. Who wants to go to the back to the land of cousin loving when you could coach for you and your wife's alma mater? And get paid just as much if not more?

• Options
    edited September 2018

@greshamdisco said:

@MODawg said

Good point. How many coaches will come & go in Gainesville, Knoxville and all the other “villes” in the process? For those of us who endured the Goff and Donnan year’s and remember our fans tearing down the goalposts when we finally beat Tennessee at home, it has been a long time coming.

CKS has UGA on the way quickly to where it should have been along: at the top of the college football world

• Options
    BrotatoChip88BrotatoChip88 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have to get better in the middle of the field in regards to the passing game but this defense is loaded with speed and talent. The offensive line is even more dominant than I expected. This team has the look. No doubt about it. Bama fans are nervous, I guarantee it.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:
    15 for 18 = 83%. One dumb pick. Maybe the reciever didn't read it the same as Fromm. Pretty good from my camo recliner.

83% is what @nycdawg says QBs should average.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@ugaforever said:
    15 for 18 = 83%. One dumb pick. Maybe the reciever didn't read it the same as Fromm. Pretty good from my camo recliner.

to be fair, wasn't it 70%-80% ?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@ugaforever said:

to be fair, wasn't it 70%-80% ?

Yeah, but felt the need to point Fromm played well outside of his interception.