Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What surprised you about the South Carolina game?

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our LB by committee has worked well the first two games, but we don’t have anyone that comes close to matching Roquan’s sideline-to-sideline ability. We’re going to have another great defense, but are going to have to do it a little differently. Lots more talent on the defensive side to go along with outstanding coaching.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@Sick_em said:
    I think the “seeing little bit of “DRob” was a Statment by Kirby and the staff. Yes, we wanted DRob coming out of HS, and yes we are thrilled he chose UGA, but we have some really solid WR depth consisting of players who have been here since day 1. It’s politics.... DRob will continue to get way more PT as season goes on I believe. But, it’s a statement to everyone (especially the team) that there is something to be said about being a DAWG from day 1. Kirby knows how good DRob is, but he also knows we have great group of WR’s and wasn’t going to tke PT away from those who have been grinding from the start and give it to DRob when we didn’t have to have DRob in the field to win this game.
    (Sorry for the book... This one got away from me a little bit lol)

I think you're exactly correct.

Vanilla is a good flavor. The cherry on top and the chocolate sauce are the win.

Kirby also makes it very clear that how you practice and how you block determine whether you play. He rewards work.

Someone mentioned the playbook. That could be a huge factor in terms of DRob. He's only been in Athens for a minute.

Taking nothing from DRob. He will contribute. Probably a lot. However, we have layers of talent; it was certainly on display today.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pleased by Holyfield’s excellent game. Surprised Dawgs were not sacking Bentley.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:

@greshamdisco said:
    I was also surprised at how we didn’t show a lot of offensive flair. I guess we didn’t need to really. Why not play vanilla if you win by 23? Still, Fromm wasn’t quite as sharp as I expected, but it wasn’t like he was bad either. Overall, really strong showing. We are clearly the better team. Wasn’t close.

15/18 for 194 yards (10.8 yards per pass attempt).

If that's him "not sharp"... I can't wait to see what he does when he get sharpened up.

Just took a minute for him to get in a groove.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

15 for 18 = 83%. One dumb pick. Maybe the reciever didn't read it the same as Fromm. Pretty good from my camo recliner.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many so called experts that picked S. Carolina to win.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,177 mod

Cook not playing until real late. Guess the message is stoopid mistakes will cost you

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The PI call on the throw to Herrien was the wheel route.

I was surprised and excited to see us throw that route to our 3/4th string RB. Even more excited that he would have scored if he hadn't been hit.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:
    The PI call on the throw to Herrien was the wheel route.

I was surprised and excited to see us throw that route to our 3/4th string RB. Even more excited that he would have scored if he hadn't been hit.

He would be starter at most schools.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not know if surprised is the right word. But I liked how the second team O-line looked at the end of the game.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@DawginSC said:

@greshamdisco said:
    I was also surprised at how we didn’t show a lot of offensive flair. I guess we didn’t need to really. Why not play vanilla if you win by 23? Still, Fromm wasn’t quite as sharp as I expected, but it wasn’t like he was bad either. Overall, really strong showing. We are clearly the better team. Wasn’t close.

15/18 for 194 yards (10.8 yards per pass attempt).

If that's him "not sharp"... I can't wait to see what he does when he get sharpened up.

Just took a minute for him to get in a groove.

And you really can't discount how loud that crowd noise was. I don't care who the QB is, it's going to take a few possessions to settle in and deal with that.

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

87 can’t get off the field because he mauls DBs in the blocking game.

I think that may be the reason Drob not playing more at this point

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgwood82 said:
    I was surprised by how many times the SC RT kept holding walker and never got it called. I saw several that werent even debateable....one of which was from behind. Walker would have probably had 3 more sacks if not for that dude

I thought the exact same thing. I also saw that down where he was literally tackled from behind. I kept waiting for the flag but apparently, the Ref didn't have one on him.

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was surprised about Kendal Baker’s fall. We kept hearing in camp that he was lining up at LT with the 2s so for him to lose the LG spot to Kindley and the backup LT spot was a surprise. I guess I’ll also include how mean Cade played. Kid is going to be a DGD and so glad he didn’t become a Vol.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DobroMattInOz said:
    Pleased by Holyfield’s excellent game. Surprised Dawgs were not sacking Bentley.

Yeah, I expected at least four sacks, and I think we had one.
    We should blitz more. Or, should we? Try a stunt, and it gets picked up or you leave a running lane open for a big gain. Blitz a LB or CB at the wrong time and you could be exposed to a big pass completion.
    No, this coaching staff has figured out that you can play great defense without the high risk/high reward of blitzing. Hold your blocks at the interior line and run delayed blitzes with guys like D. Walker or Patrick. Brilliant.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:

@DobroMattInOz said:

We should blitz more. Or, should we? Try a stunt, and it gets picked up or you leave a running lane open for a big gain. Blitz a LB or CB at the wrong time and you could be exposed to a big pass completion.
    No, this coaching staff has figured out that you can play great defense without the high risk/high reward of blitzing. Hold your blocks at the interior line and run delayed blitzes with guys like D. Walker or Patrick. Brilliant.

53 rushing yards, 269 yards on 47 attempts is only 5.7 YPP, plus 2 INTs and at least 2 couple more that could have been. only gave up 10 points not in trash time. i'd say the defense did all you can ask of it. to be critical of thyat performance is to be nit picky at best.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VaBeachDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@DobroMattInOz said:

53 rushing yards, 269 yards on 47 attempts is only 5.7 YPP, plus 2 INTs and at least 2 couple more that could have been. only gave up 10 points not in trash time. i'd say the defense did all you can ask of it. to be critical of thyat performance is to be nit picky at best.

I wasn't trying to be nit picky. Just illustrating the fact that you can run a great defense without many sacks to show for it -- something some fans have previously called for. But that was 2016 and this is 2018. Great job on D, and point taken.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@DobroMattInOz said:

I wasn't trying to be nit picky. Just illustrating the fact that you can run a great defense without many sacks to show for it -- something some fans have previously called for. But that was 2016 and this is 2018. Great job on D, and point taken.

my bad, i was trying to piggy back off your post, not dissagree with it. we are same same.