Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Here is every pass play of 20 or more yards thru 5 games..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm
Hardman - 59 yards, 18 yards in the air.
Hardman - 39 yards, caught at LOS.
Hardman - 42 yards, caught in backfield.
Holloman - 65 yards, 45 yards in the air.
Holyfield - 24 yards, 8 yards in the air.
Ridley - 33 yards, 19 yards in the air.
Holloman - 61 yards, 17 yards in the air.
Hardman - 54 yards, 40 yards in the air.
Swift - 22 yards, 3 yards in the air, screen.
Hardman 23 yards, 10 yards in the air.

10 for 422 yards. Only 2 traveled at least 20 yards thru the air from the LOS.

Fields
Nauta - 20 yards, 8 yards in the air

1 for 20 yards

Downing
Cook - 24 yards

Totals - 12 completions for 466 yards.

I haven't found or done the math on percentages...it's my lazy nature.

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Fromm

Fields

1 for 20 yards

Downing
    Cook - 24 yards

If 20 yards is the magic #, then only 2 passes in the air that far. But one was 19 yards - 1 yard short. Another was 18 yards, just 2 yards short. So one could say 4 of 10 passes were "long" ones that scored? that sounds better than 2 of 10. Why is 20 yards the magic # for yards in the air?

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Fromm

Fields

1 for 20 yards

Downing
    Cook - 24 yards

If 20 yards is the magic #, then only 2 passes in the air that far. But one was 19 yards - 1 yard short. Another was 18 yards, just 2 yards short. So one could say 4 of 10 passes were "long" ones that scored? that sounds better than 2 of 10. Why is 20 yards the magic # for yards in the air?

Magic, probably not, but it's a benchmark.
    Even 20 yards is far from a bomb though.
    We have 2 completions on true deep routes and throws.
    I also wanted to show in stark terms who our passing QB has been so far.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Fromm

Fields

1 for 20 yards

Downing
    Cook - 24 yards

I agree that 20 yards should not be considered a "long" pass, for sure. It's pretty clear who our passing QB has been per your stats. I would personally prefer to use 30yds or even 40 yds as the benchmark for long passes. Heck, I can still throw a football 20 yards pretty easily, though at 5'7" I'm pretty sure I couldn't see where I was throwing it.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Fromm

Fields

1 for 20 yards

Downing
    Cook - 24 yards

I agree that 20 yards should not be considered a "long" pass, for sure. It's pretty clear who our passing QB has been per your stats. I would personally prefer to use 30yds or even 40 yds as the benchmark for long passes. Heck, I can still throw a football 20 yards pretty easily, though at 5'7" I'm pretty sure I couldn't see where I was throwing it.

I have always had sore shoulder syndrome due to an impinged left rotator cuff. In short, I **** at throwing stuff, but I can catch like crazy.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting bit of side trivia:

Fromm and Tua have the same number of completions. Fromm has 5 more attempts. Tua has 5 more TDs

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m thinking 20 yards isn’t all that long of a pass. It’s basically toward the end of a mid-range pass. So cutting off at 20 yards, you’re basically counting anything that could possibly be counted as long pass.

• Options

@moos said:

Fromm and Tua have the same number of completions. Fromm has 5 more attempts. Tua has 5 more TDs

Is the 5 more TD’s because of a longer YPA? If Tua has a significantly larger YPA, that would be something to envy much more so than the 5 more TD’s. Both teams have plenty of TD’s to spare.

• Options

I would value the 5 TDS more than YPA.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Fromm

Fields

1 for 20 yards

Downing
    Cook - 24 yards

Props to the effort you put into this. But why is 20 yards - Total yards on a pass - a "benchmark"? If it is a benchmark then it should be easy to find comparables. Someone must have cited this - good or ill - as an indicator of excellence. And to be a benchmark there should be a stat per "something", as in "benchmark" passes per game, or "benchmark" passes per quarter. I think that is what @donm was getting at.

Your findings did surprise me, but these first games are being played conservatively and with the goals being 1. to win them, and b, to get the players ready for tougher games ahead. Kirby does not care about wowing the fans. it is all bidness.

• Options

@levander said:
    I’m thinking 20 yards isn’t all that long of a pass. It’s basically toward the end of a mid-range pass. So cutting off at 20 yards, you’re basically counting anything that could possibly be counted as long pass.

It's a benchmark used by many.
    I agree it's not the boundary to deep balls though. I could have used 40 yards since both of Jake's passes that traveled 20 yards in the air also went 40 yards.

• Options

@levander said:

@moos said:

Is the 5 more TD’s because of a longer YPA? If Tua has a significantly larger YPA, that would be something to envy much more so than the 5 more TD’s. Both teams have plenty of TD’s to spare.

Tua has quite a few tds where his receivers were clear of coverage. I think Jake has 1.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

Tua has quite a few tds where his receivers were clear of coverage. I think Jake has 1.

I’m amazed at how wide open they are.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

Same here, is it scheme or talent ? Jeudy gets huge separation.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

It better not be the receivers fault they’re not open. As deep as we are at receiver, surely Kirby could have found someone that can get open.

• Options

@levander said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

It better not be the receivers fault they’re not open. As deep as we are at receiver, surely Kirby could have found someone that can get open.

Robertson proved he can run routes and get clearance at Cal. I don't believe it's SEC speed at DB either.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@levander said:

@moos said:

Hard to say, they do have 100 more passing YPG than us total (which is a lot,) some I think it may be scheme related as well as the fact that they throw well into the 4th quarter with Hurts.

But I think the completions/attempts comparison is interesting because they are viewed as having a more "open" offense than we do, regardless of how accurate that is. Whatever the cause, I think they're succeeding more early and being aggressive later.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

20 yards is double the first down yardage, hence the "benchmark"

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

Same here, is it scheme or talent ? Jeudy gets huge separation.

Both with a heavy, heavy dose of bad defense.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@moos said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

Hard to say, they do have 100 more passing YPG than us total (which is a lot,) some I think it may be scheme related as well as the fact that they throw well into the 4th quarter with Hurts.

But I think the completions/attempts comparison is interesting because they are viewed as having a more "open" offense than we do, regardless of how accurate that is. Whatever the cause, I think they're succeeding more early and being aggressive later.

I just looked it up, 13.19 for Tua, 10.14 for Jake. I don’t have a feel to know how big of a deal that is. And I suspect it’s not really enough to go off of because statistics in football aren’t as telling as they are in other sports.

Here’s the links if you want to look at more stats.

Bama: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/333
    UGA: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/61

I could care less about the extra 100 yards a game, that’s just Bama running up the score. I prefer the classier way Kirby handles it and just runs the ball at the end of the game to wind down the clock.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@moos said:

@levander said:

@moos said:

I just looked it up, 13.19 for Tua, 10.14 for Jake. I don’t have a feel to know how big of a deal that is. And I suspect it’s not really enough to go off of because statistics in football aren’t as telling as they are in other sports.

Here’s the links if you want to look at more stats.

Bama: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/333
    UGA: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/61

I could care less about the extra 100 yards a game, that’s just Bama running up the score. I prefer the classier way Kirby handles it and just runs the ball at the end of the game to wind down the clock.

Bama is scoring almost all of their points in the first half though.