Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Here is every pass play of 20 or more yards thru 5 games..

13»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:
    To put this into perspective, I coach a middle school team and we had 3 passes get caught at more than 20 yards in the air in one quarter(we are just an average team). Georgia should be able to have more than 2 in 5 games.

No doubt, it's a revealing stat.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:
    So I created this based on some rough stats this morning for comparison:

It focuses on starting QB stats only vs all rushing stats (it's hard to find out which rushes we're done when the non-starting QB is in the game,) so it's a little inaccurate on the rush percentage, but close enough.

If/when UGAs pass offense does click, look out.

Edit: it also shows that OSU and OU aren't as pass happy pass people think.

Awesome visual.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

It focuses on starting QB stats only vs all rushing stats (it's hard to find out which rushes we're done when the non-starting QB is in the game,) so it's a little inaccurate on the rush percentage, but close enough.

Awesome visual.

Bama runs the ball a lot. when they pass, they complete more (%wise) than anybody and seem to be close in YPA. This chart tells me to bet on Bama.

• Options

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

Awesome visual.

Bama runs the ball a lot. when they pass, they complete more (%wise) than anybody and seem to be close in YPA. This chart tells me to bet on Bama.

Their numbers will slow down, a little bit lol, maybe not much but they usually dip a little once conference play starts.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg @moos

Great stuff here. The perception of our offense relative to the other tops schools vs what is real is pretty revealing when looking at the stats. Looks like we are just lacking a few SportsCenter type highlight plays on the deep ball to correct that perception.

Edit - @WCDawg the above comment doesn't pertain to your stats, except for the great stuff part. The lack of completions 20+ yards is disturbing. We will have to throw farther down field against LSU. If we don't, LSU's team defense and team speed will shut down the short passing game we've fallen in love with this season.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@moos said:

Awesome!!! Thank you!!

• Options

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    @WCDawg @moos

Great stuff here. The perception of our offense relative to the other tops schools vs what is real is pretty revealing when looking at the stats. Looks like we are just lacking a few SportsCenter type highlight plays on the deep ball to correct that perception.

Edit - @WCDawg the above comment doesn't pertain to your stats, except for the great stuff part. The lack of completions 20+ yards is disturbing. We will have to throw farther down field against LSU. If we don't, LSU's team defense and team speed will shut down the short passing game we've fallen in love with this season.

I wish I had our success rate on deep attempts, that would give us an even better picture of where we're at.
    I haven't found that stat though and it would be a chore to do the work myself.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    @WCDawg @moos

I wish I had our success rate on deep attempts, that would give us an even better picture of where we're at.

I wish I had reasonably priced per-play data for all of FBS similar to what Bill Connolly and the PFF guys have.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@Acrum21 said:

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

Awesome visual.

Their numbers will slow down, a little bit lol, maybe not much but they usually dip a little once conference play starts.

Of the 4 teams, I would rank their SoS 2nd behind OSUs. We're 3rd and OU is 4th. All my opinion, but not hard logic to follow.

Bama has played 2 SEC West teams, one of them is still in the top 25.

• Options

@moos said:

@Acrum21 said:

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

Awesome visual.

Of the 4 teams, I would rank their SoS 2nd behind OSUs. We're 3rd and OU is 4th. All my opinion, but not hard logic to follow.

We have played 2 top 40 defenses and they haven't faced even 1 top 50 fwiw

• Options

@moos said:

@WCDawg said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    @WCDawg @moos

I wish I had reasonably priced per-play data for all of FBS similar to what Bill Connolly and the PFF guys have.

I never pay for info unless it's for business, won't do it.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

@Acrum21 said:

@donm said:

@Acrum21 said:

@moos said:

Awesome visual.

We have played 2 top 40 defenses and they haven't faced even 1 top 50 fwiw

Top 40 according to what? Total yardage?

SCar (25th) is the only decent defense we've faced.

Tenn and MTSU are in the 90s.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@moos said:

@WCDawg said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    @WCDawg @moos

I never pay for info unless it's for business, won't do it.

Me neither, but I'd consider paying for that info. I think I might be able to do something with it, assuming I could find the time.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Forget about Hazelwood and his type. I know a lot of u don't remember when Hines Ward played at Georgia. He was actually an All American QB in High School but was versatile enough to play RB, QB, or WR. I don't think he came into games worried about how many targets, how many carries, or how many passes he was gonna get to throw. All he cared about was representing the G and being the most well rounded receiver he could b. He was, tough, selfless, and coachable. The Hazelwoods of the world NEED to be reminded constantly how great they r so he for sure would not fit the culture that Kirby is trying to build which will be intact long after Hazelwood has moved on to the pros. So to think that Kirby would change his philosophy to woo some 17 yr old KID is laughably absurd. Kirby wants to 1) Run the ball to control the clock and keep the defense fresh 2)Run the ball to control the clock and keep the defense fresh and 3) Be able to throw it when u want to, and when u have to. 4) Play great special teams in both the kicking and the return game and 5)WIN! WIN! WIN! BABY! And he's batting a thousand on all fronts so cry me a River over Hazelwoods decommittments. BOO, HOO, HOO.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Forget about Hazelwood and his type. I know a lot of u don't remember when Hines Ward played at Georgia. He was actually an All American QB in High School but was versatile enough to play RB, QB, or WR. I don't think he came into games worried about how many targets, how many carries, or how many passes he was gonna get to throw. All he cared about was representing the G and being the most well rounded receiver he could b. He was, tough, selfless, and coachable. The Hazelwoods of the world NEED to be reminded constantly how great they r so he for sure would not fit the culture that Kirby is trying to build which will be intact long after Hazelwood has moved on to the pros. So to think that Kirby would change his philosophy to woo some 17 yr old KID is laughably absurd. Kirby wants to 1) Run the ball to control the clock and keep the defense fresh 2)Run the ball to control the clock and keep the defense fresh and 3) Be able to throw it when u want to, and when u have to. 4) Play great special teams in both the kicking and the return game and 5)WIN! WIN! WIN! BABY! And he's batting a thousand on all fronts so cry me a River over Hazelwoods decommittments. BOO, HOO, HOO.

So, sounds like you know Haselwood really well. Especially considering you can’t even spell his name. Please don’t act like you know that Haselwood wants attention. Thanks

• Options

@MeR3htid said:

Hines Ward owned the UGA record for most passing yards in a game at one time. I'm not sure if he still does.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Hines Ward owned the UGA record for most passing yards in a game at one time. I'm not sure if he still does.

Hines Ward once held the UGA record for passing yards in a bowl game (413, 1995 Peach Bowl v. UVA), now held by Aaron Murray (427, 2013 Capitol One Bowl v. Neb.)

UGA single game passing records:

1. Eric Zeier, 544, 1993, Southern Miss
    2. Eric Zeier, 485, 1994, South Carolina
    3. Eric Zeier, 441, 1994, Vanderbilt
    4. Aaron Murray, 427, 2012, Kentucky
    5. Aaron Murray, 427, 2012, Nebraska
  • Options

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Hines Ward once held the UGA record for passing yards in a bowl game (413, 1995 Peach Bowl v. UVA), now held by Aaron Murray (427, 2013 Capitol One Bowl v. Neb.)

UGA single game passing records:

1. Eric Zeier, 544, 1993, Southern Miss
    2. Eric Zeier, 485, 1994, South Carolina
    3. Eric Zeier, 441, 1994, Vanderbilt
    4. Aaron Murray, 427, 2012, Kentucky
    5. Aaron Murray, 427, 2012, Nebraska

At his best Zeier was a great college QB.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, unfortunately his Jr and Senior seasons the team just wasn't very good.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:
    Oline has to do a better job of holding blocks longer to throw the ball deep. Maybe we open up more when they come around. Sacks are drive breakers.

A TE has missed quite a few blocks that let to sacks and hurries.

Two starting TE's.