Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Instant Karma, The ump gifted Acuna a GRAND SLAM !

13»

Comments

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@kelly_b said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:
    I think he called it a strike because of the relaxed way Acuna took it but so glad he did.

Acuna stepped away from the box as the pitch was thrown, I agree that could have factored in.
    It's just another in an endless line of bad calls. It's nuts to have a perfect system to call balls and strikes and not use it.
    Dump the ump, let cameras call the shots.

Wish it were the argument room. I like the fact that umps miss calls, really I do. It makes things more uncertain and therefore more exciting or nerve wracking if you wish. In my mind, a robot calling the game would be boring. It might prevent arguments but there aren't all that may arguments over balls and strikes any more. Plus, I'm not sure the camera is always right. Someone has to make a judgement about where the camera sits and what it measures etc. Plus, haven't you ever booed the umpires when they come out on to the field? I love that part of the game.

I think this game is too complex and subjective to put in "robots," (though I'd love to see Sweet Lou throwing bags at one). I'm with you. Anyway, for the most part these guys do a great job. Yeah, they do make mistakes, sometimes game-deciding ones (infield fly rule, anyone?), but I also love the human element.

How is this complex, we all see the actual position of the ball in real time now through the triangulated camera integration system in use at every game. Just let it call balls and strikes, the umps would still have a role, just not the lame ass god like power they have now.

Call me a traditionalist I guess. It's one of the only cases anyone can, so enjoy it!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    Braves pitching gives up so many walks, and/or balls causing them to get behind in counts. It’s awful and frustrating to watch.

@Teddy said:
    Braves pitching gives up so many walks, and/or balls causing them to get behind in counts. It’s awful and frustrating to watch.

Yeah, my hope for the young pitchers is that they can limit pitches per inning - fewer walks, finishing hitters when there are two strikes...just being more efficient. Both Newcombe and Folty could improve in this area. Folty has done a better job this year, I think, of getting ahead in the count early.