Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

PB&J

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:
    Two words to save your marriage: squeeze jelly

Yes! PB on left slice with butter knife, then squeeze jelly on right slice and spread with same knife, no need to rinse.

What do you consider a “butter knife”?
    This is going sideways but..,my wife swears that what I call a table knife is a butter knife.

Table knife....sounds like something from up North. The knives that match your forks and spoons are called butter knives. You know. The ones with barely any serrations, if any at all. You cut a sandwich in half with a butter knife

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

Yes! PB on left slice with butter knife, then squeeze jelly on right slice and spread with same knife, no need to rinse.

This is going sideways but..,my wife swears that what I call a table knife is a butter knife.

Table knife....sounds like something from up North. The knives that match your forks and spoons are called butter knives. You know. The ones with barely any serrations, if any at all. You cut a sandwich in half with a butter knife

I thought butter knives had no serrations. Also shaped a little different and smaller.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@JRT812 said:
    About to file for a divorce over this debate... First, pb&j on separate slices of bread or jammed all together on a single side? I prefer separate sides for the peanut butter and jelly. What hairchested man ooor woman does single side?

Second, do you clean the knife in between spreading peanut butter before moving onto jelly spreading? I sort of understand this side which is clean the knife, but I’m the only one using these products. I could care less if there is peanut butter in the jelly jar.

Apparently, it’s the same difference. Look forward to the insight and prove me wrong.

Individual.... and yes you clean the knife... did you marry a psychopath?!?!

BM bro... apparently so...it has been noted that spoons and forks of different sizes go in different places. Don’t get me started

• Options

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

Bulldawg bro stop... don’t even get me started on the apparent differences

• Options

@DobroMattInOz said:
    If you really want a gross sandwich, put Vegemite on it.

Dobro bro... I rather get a back alley colonoscopy at a flying j gas station

• Options
    RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me say this before I offer anything of substance to this discussion. I've never been more proud to find 85+ comments in a thread on a college football board about making a PB&J. This is truthfully an indication that we are in the golden era of UGA fandom.

• Options

And my contribution to saving your marriage is this:

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

I thought butter knives had no serrations. Also shaped a little different and smaller.

Butter knives typically look something like this:

The usual knife, which I think is most commonly called a table knife, is shaped and edged differently, and is bigger. This is an exotic design:

L-R: dessert spoon, butter knife, table fork, soup spoon, salad fork, table knife. Roughly in order that a hotsy totsy meal would be served. The French serve the salad last, before the nuts (soup to nuts) Bon Appétit

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Wow, this thread blows my mind. Definitely proves the point about "different strokes." I (wrongly, obviously) assumed everyone (or something like 90% of the population) did the same thing I do, which is the following:

1. Pour a glass of milk and place it in the freezer. (I prefer 1%, but skim, 2% and whole milk work just as well, whatever your preference.)

2. Take out two slices of bread (preferably white or wheat, maybe multi-grain, and if you're feeling frisky, oatmeal is pretty good).

3. Pull one table knife from your kitchen drawer (i.e. dull, not sharp like a steak knife or serrated like a carving knife or short like a butter knife).

4. Break out your PB & J of choice:
      (a) Peanut butter (I grew up on JIF, Skippy, and Peter Pan, then discovered "real" peanut butter as an adult and have never looked back. I like Smuckers natural- smooth or crunchy, whatever your preference.)
      (b) Jelly (doesn't matter what kind- that's totally a matter of personal preference- honey works too.)

5. Use the knife in the jelly first. Spoons don't spread well, and the knife works just fine if you tilt the jar downward over the bread and scrape out the desired amount. Spread evenly on a single slice of the bread.

6. Wipe the excess (usually minimal) on the second slice. That way no rinsing (i.e. wasting of food) is necessary.

7. Use the same (now perfectly clean) knife in the peanut butter and spread evenly on the second slice of bread.

8. Put the slices together and cut sandwich in half. Diagonal or straight, doesn't matter.

9. Pull the milk out of the freezer. By the time your sandwich is made the milk is perfectly chilled.

10. Enjoy, then brush your teeth, and go kiss your wife.

• Options

This is all just out of control, @AnotherDawg

The level of detail is magnificent

And I guarantee there is not a PB&J post on the LSU boards tonight.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude, I suggested to Sentell that we have a separate food category.> @Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

I spread pb the best with a tablespoon.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

The usual knife, which I think is most commonly called a table knife, is shaped and edged differently, and is bigger. This is an exotic design:

L-R: dessert spoon, butter knife, table fork, soup spoon, salad fork, table knife. Roughly in order that a hotsy totsy meal would be served. The French serve the salad last, before the nuts (soup to nuts) Bon Appétit

Omg

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bulldawg90 said:

@mattmd2 said:

Omg

I've also seen the term, place knife, to refer to the table knife. Also, knife works, as any other knife would have qualifier, like butter knife (must be others). Same with fork, table fork, place fork.... More than you want to know. 😊

• Options

Fire plug bro has learnt me something

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AtlDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@greygoose01 said:
    PB minus the J is the winner :*

Or just add bananas

And mayonnaise. I know, I know, but it’s good. I can’t explain it.

Banana I have done. No way on the mayo

I do put mayo on banana sandwich though

You people are animals

Well. I also have eaten pineapple sandwiches with mayo.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Fire plug bro has learnt me something

For the record, I love this thread, and it has been eye-opening for me as well. Apparently my prior post (10 step process for making a PBJ "correctly") was TLDR, so I'll answer your two questions from the OP, in case you're keeping a tally.

1) two slices of bread, definitely- peanut butter on one, jelly on the other.
    2) one dull knife- no rinsing required. (I do jelly first because that's easier to clean off of the knife than pb, by wiping on the edge of the bread.)

$.02 and go dawgs.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg said:

@AtlDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@greygoose01 said:

Or just add bananas

You people are animals

What the heck else would you spread on a pineapple sandwich?

I'm curious how people cut the banana on a banana sandwich. When I was a kid I used to slice it in to small rounds but now I cut the banana in the middle and then split those two pieces so that I have 4 pieces approximately the same length as the bread. Keeps my sandwich from falling apart and much faster to make.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@RPMdawg said:

@AtlDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@greygoose01 said:

Or just add bananas

You people are animals

What the heck else would you spread on a pineapple sandwich?

I'm curious how people cut the banana on a banana sandwich. When I was a kid I used to slice it in to small rounds but now I cut the banana in the middle and then split those two pieces so that I have 4 pieces approximately the same length as the bread. Keeps my sandwich from falling apart and much faster to make.

Small round only