Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who is this years final 4?

Comments

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I will say this, and I know it will be discussed more... but the loser of the SEC championship is NOT going to make the playoffs, even if that is their only loss

The reason being is TV ratings, ticket sales.... and money..... This would mean a possible SEC championship rematch and that is not what people want to see. The winner of the SEC championship may go and the team with 1 loss that did not go to the SEC championship may go to the playoffs like last year.... but the loser of the SEC championship game will not go to the playoffs

I doubt this is true. If they were caught colluding with advertisers and networks it'd be one of the biggest conspiracies ever. I don't think the committee is that ****, if they were it'd be the end of the CFP

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I will say this, and I know it will be discussed more... but the loser of the SEC championship is NOT going to make the playoffs, even if that is their only loss

The reason being is TV ratings, ticket sales.... and money..... This would mean a possible SEC championship rematch and that is not what people want to see. The winner of the SEC championship may go and the team with 1 loss that did not go to the SEC championship may go to the playoffs like last year.... but the loser of the SEC championship game will not go to the playoffs

TV ratings improved by 18% during last year's playoffs. And we all know TV ratings = $$$. Ticket sales? Stadiums were all sold out, always will be when you have a SEC team involved in the game. So, apparently a lot of people didn't mind watching two SEC teams dominate other conferences. Not trying to call you out, but nothing you said proves to be factual.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/9/16869172/playoff-tv-ratings-alabama-georgia-national-championship

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

TV ratings improved by 18% during last year's playoffs. And we all know TV ratings = $$$. Ticket sales? Stadiums were all sold out, always will be when you have a SEC team involved in the game. So, apparently a lot of people didn't mind watching two SEC teams dominate other conferences. Not trying to call you out, but nothing you said proves to be factual.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/9/16869172/playoff-tv-ratings-alabama-georgia-national-championship

That was not a rematch of the SEC championship. It involved two teams that had not faced each other, and especially not recently

• Options

I do not think the committee will let there be a possibility of a repeat conference championship game happening in the playoff. Two teams from the same conference may go, like has happened previously.... but I do not believe it will be the two teams who played in that conferences conference championship

The committee has messed up in my opinion by allowing teams into the playoffs who did not even play in their conference championship

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

That was not a rematch of the SEC championship. It involved two teams that had not faced each other, and especially not recently

Of the BCS era championship games, over those 16 years, the LSU vs. Bama (SECCG rematch) game is 10th out of 16 in the TV ratings. You'd think they'd be the last since it's a rematch, right? You know what the two worst games, ratings wise, were during the BCS era? 2002 Ohio State vs. Miami and 2005 Texas vs. USC. Some of the most historic programs turned out the worst TV ratings, which is pretty bizarre to me.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Of the BCS era championship games, over those 16 years, the LSU vs. Bama (SECCG rematch) game is 10th out of 16 in the TV ratings. You'd think they'd be the last since it's a rematch, right? You know what the two worst games, ratings wise, were during the BCS era? 2002 Ohio State vs. Miami and 2005 Texas vs. USC. Some of the most historic programs turned out the worst TV ratings, which is pretty bizarre to me

That is pretty interesting

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I do not think the committee will let there be a possibility of a repeat conference championship game happening in the playoff. Two teams from the same conference may go, like has happened previously.... but I do not believe it will be the two teams who played in that conferences conference championship

The committee has messed up in my opinion by allowing teams into the playoffs who did not even play in their conference championship

Envision the following scenario: undefeated #2 UGA beats undefeated #1 Bama in the SEC title game in a close game. If you're the committee would you put both teams in at positions 1 and 4, respectively? It ensures a re-match but it also guarantees that re-match won't happen in the national title game. This assumes that the resumes of other teams lead the committee to the conclusion that UGA and Bama are 2 of the best 4 teams, of course.

• Options

@PTDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Envision the following scenario: undefeated #2 UGA beats undefeated #1 Bama in the SEC title game in a close game. If you're the committee would you put both teams in at positions 1 and 4, respectively? It ensures a re-match but it also guarantees that re-match won't happen in the national title game. This assumes that the resumes of other teams lead the committee to the conclusion that UGA and Bama are 2 of the best 4 teams, of course.

In an 8 team playoff possibility, sure.... but with 5 conference champions I do not see it happening

We need an 8 team playoff

• Options
    HuskerDawgHuskerDawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Completely agree with this. UGA will not make the CFP if they run the table and lose to Bama in the SECCG. The only way they make it with one loss is if they win the SECCG OR they lose to South Carolina and run the table and miss out on the SECCG.

It isn't talked about much, but IF UGA loses to USCjr (looking at USCjr's schedule), it is unlikely USCjr loses two conference games so they will probably represent the east. I could see them losing to Texas A&M, but thats about it. Their conference schedule is easy.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I don't think ticket sales and the real money maker, tv ratings, are weighed when choosing the top 4, I don't see any evidence of it.
    Why risk blowback when in the long run the unknowing is a huge reason sports are so captivating, they write their own scripts on the playing fields.

• Options
    SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia Clemson Bama Oklahoma

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I don't think ticket sales and the real money maker, tv ratings, are weighed when choosing the top 4, I don't see any evidence of it.
    Why risk blowback when in the long run the unknowing is a huge reason sports are so captivating, they write their own scripts on the playing fields.

I didn’t say TV ratings played a part in it. Merely replying to someone else’s theory about how the committee would pick and same conference affiliation lowering ratings. Best 4 get in no matter conference is what I always want.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Completely agree with this. UGA will not make the CFP if they run the table and lose to Bama in the SECCG. The only way they make it with one loss is if they win the SECCG OR they lose to South Carolina and run the table and miss out on the SECCG.

It isn't talked about much, but IF UGA loses to USCjr (looking at USCjr's schedule), it is unlikely USCjr loses two conference games so they will probably represent the east. I could see them losing to Texas A&M, but thats about it. Their conference schedule is easy.

I agree with this. It would appear to be sour grapes to be too critical of Bama being chosen last season, but I thought then it was wrong. It's messed up that not having to play a conference title game is better than losing one. > @Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I didn’t say TV ratings played a part in it. Merely replying to someone else’s theory about how the committee would pick and same conference affiliation lowering ratings. Best 4 get in no matter conference is what I always want.

Same here, but Bama getting in while not having to play a CCM is another issue.
    I think ND should be excluded from ever getting into a playoff till they face the same gauntlet as everybody else to get there.

But Bama was clearly the best team last year, outside UGA. Can’t say the committee didn’t get it right when they win it all. It’s the 4 best teams, with no clause on winning your conference/division. If they make that change in the rules, then yeah, ND would be forced to join a conference and Bama wouldn’t have gotten in. If UGA played in the west they wouldn’t have gotten in the playoffs last year either.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I agree with this. It would appear to be sour grapes to be too critical of Bama being chosen last season, but I thought then it was wrong. It's messed up that not having to play a conference title game is better than losing one. > @Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I think ND should be excluded from ever getting into a playoff till they face the same gauntlet as everybody else to get there.

But Bama was clearly the best team last year, outside UGA. Can’t say the committee didn’t get it right when they win it all. It’s the 4 best teams, with no clause on winning your conference/division. If they make that change in the rules, then yeah, ND would be forced to join a conference and Bama wouldn’t have gotten in. If UGA played in the west they wouldn’t have gotten in the playoffs last year either.

It wasn't at all clear Bama was the better team last year. They didn't have as many wins against top opponents as several others did.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

It wasn't at all clear Bama was the better team last year. They didn't have as many wins against top opponents as several others did.

So, beating 2 of the top teams when it’s all on the line doesn’t count? Checked one SOS source heading into the playoffs, Bama had the #10 SOS. The only team higher was OSU that was potentially playoff worthy, but they already lost 2 games, one being to Iowa. Is that better than Bama losing on the road to Auburn? Don’t think so.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

So, beating 2 of the top teams when it’s all on the line doesn’t count? Checked one SOS source heading into the playoffs, Bama had the #10 SOS. The only team higher was OSU that was potentially playoff worthy, but they already lost 2 games, one being to Iowa. Is that better than Bama losing on the road to Auburn? Don’t think so.

You're including the playoff, which is not reasonable since..

A. this hindsight wasn't available info when the decision to include Bama was made.
    B. We can't know what other teams would have done if given the opportunity.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

A. this hindsight wasn't available info when the decision to include Bama was made.

Did you miss the part about SOS “heading into the playoffs?” Aka, before their SOS had Clemson and UGA factored in. :)

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t get the Oklahoma love. They have a good returning RB, an atrocious defense and are breaking in a new QB. They needed literal heroics from Mayfield last year to win several games. Without him last year they would have lost probably 4 games. Also, I’m not convinced Lincoln Riley is the real deal. He inherited a great team and ran with it. Kind of like Barry Switzer winning the SuperBowl with the Cowboys when Johnson left. Let’s see how OU does without a Heisman QB. I see them going 9-3 at best.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Did you miss the part about SOS “heading into the playoffs?” Aka, before their SOS had Clemson and UGA factored in. :)

Bama had a regular season loss and their best win was what, LSU ?
    Wisconsin was 12-0 with a 21 pt win against Nebraska, a 24 pt win against Iowa and a 14 pt win against Michigan, they were punished for a close loss against OSU in the conference title game while Bama was rewarded for sitting on their collective asses.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@HuskerDawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Bama had a regular season loss and their best win was what, LSU ?
    Wisconsin was 12-0 with a 21 pt win against Nebraska, a 24 pt win against Iowa and a 14 pt win against Michigan, they were punished for a close loss against OSU in the conference title game while Bama was rewarded for sitting on their collective asses.

Yet Bama still has the tougher SOS. Not one person would argue this point. Top to bottom Bama’s schedule was tougher. The B1G perception of getting beat by a combined 69-0 the past two playoff games they were in probably didn’t help either. Most overrated conference ever.

Glad Wiscy could beat 4-8 Nebraska, and beat UM and Iowa who were a combined .500 in conference play. Remember, these are their quality wins too. Bama destroyed pretty much everyone, outside Miss St and Auburn.