Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Urban Meyer & Ohio St. So what’s next?

christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/08/01/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-put-on-leave-amid-abuse-probe-fired-assistant.amp.html

What do y’all think? What’s next? Does this potentially affect UGA recruiting??? Thoughts???

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its a process. Any business (which OSU FB is) is already trying to control the narrative. Which means assistants have reached out to recruits to update them, tell them not to react harshly, and reached out to players parents.

As far as parts OSU can and can't control they suspend Meyer (not fired). Now its a wait game to see if any sanctions, firings, etc.

UGA recruiting... Miller, Chambers, Battle, and Lejond (20) are guys UGA could look into. UGA supposedly doesnt negative recruit so theres no benefits there.

Things as a patient person I notice. Even without Meyer has Day as Interim HC but Schiano will help guide them and one of the more talented CFB rosters so they could still be winners. And if Meyer is fired they will have the best opening in CFB. If Meyer is cleared he comes back. Either way its a situation that can be handled. Harbaugh is probably the main guy that needs Meyer out but OSU is deeper and more talented.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

I think it will affect Bresee and Cavazos for the '20 class.
    I've heard chatter about Miller, but I think the Pitt Boss has other plans...

I also think that when the dam breaks after OSU's first de-commit there will be a mad scramble among the other SEC schools to get in the game, but UGA (and Bama) is, generally speaking, ahead of OSU in the pecking order.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:
    I think he gets suspended for the first quarter of the first game and gets one less flight on the Ohio private plane.

Sad but probably true.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with the above, that their program only gives a slap on the wrist & perhaps a letter from the Ohio State president that’s scolding him to never do that again.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They will put him on double-secret probation.

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My guess is Urbs and OSU part ways, and that both parties will try their best to take the high ground and make it as amicable as they possibly can. I say this because there is somewhat of a potentially awkward aspect to this situation -- Meyer's wife is a nurse. She's obligated by law to disclose any case of abuse (spousal, sexual, child, etc.), even if she only suspects abuse. Failure to do so puts her license at serious risk (while she just teaches these days she still holds onto her license as it's listed in her profile on OSU's site). RNs take this responsibility seriously, and it's not an obscure policy. I know this because my wife is an RN and over the years has had to include suspected abuse in her charting, and then also alert her supervisor to it who then reaches out to state authorities to investigate. In CUM's defense she did not have to disclose it to him as he is not her supervisor. But as a nurse it's a little difficult to think she would not have had the compassion to tell her husband since it was one of his subordinates who was physically abusing his wife. So if Meyer maintains he never knew he would be implying his wife didn't feel a responsibility as an RN to speak to him about it, nor report it to her own supervisor at the university. If she did report it to her supervisor that implies there was a cover-up by the university. I don't think this is a simple "let it fade away" situation. A sticky wicket to say the least. Just my two cents.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look at the Vegas odds for this. -300 for urban to be gone by the first game.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He Gone. After the Tressel debacle Ohio State can ill afford another witch hunt. There is no way he didn't know. In this PC climate we live in he doesn't have a shot to stay. They are just working on his buy out and how they frame it to the media this weekend.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he's coached his last game for OSU.
    The environment on these things has radically changed in the past 2 years.

@ugaforever said:
    He Gone. After the Tressel debacle Ohio State can ill afford another witch hunt. There is no way he didn't know. In this PC climate we live in he doesn't have a shot to stay. They are just working on his buy out and how they frame it to the media this weekend.

''Me too'' is the biggest reason this is likely going to end with Urban Liar out the door.

@dawghouse said:
    My guess is Urbs and OSU part ways, and that both parties will try their best to take the high ground and make it as amicable as they possibly can. I say this because there is somewhat of a potentially awkward aspect to this situation -- Meyer's wife is a nurse. She's obligated by law to disclose any case of abuse (spousal, sexual, child, etc.), even if she only suspects abuse. Failure to do so puts her license at serious risk (while she just teaches these days she still holds onto her license as it's listed in her profile on OSU's site). RNs take this responsibility seriously, and it's not an obscure policy. I know this because my wife is an RN and over the years has had to include suspected abuse in her charting, and then also alert her supervisor to it who then reaches out to state authorities to investigate. In CUM's defense she did not have to disclose it to him as he is not her supervisor. But as a nurse it's a little difficult to think she would not have had the compassion to tell her husband since it was one of his subordinates who was physically abusing his wife. So if Meyer maintains he never knew he would be implying his wife didn't feel a responsibility as an RN to speak to him about it, nor report it to her own supervisor at the university. If she did report it to her supervisor that implies there was a cover-up by the university. I don't think this is a simple "let it fade away" situation. A sticky wicket to say the least. Just my two cents.

I'm guessing hearing something outside her position as a nurse wouldn't legally obligate Miss Liar to report it.
    Also, it wasn't something that even fell into a medical category, she didn't do a physical exam of Smith.

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawghouse said:

I'm guessing hearing something outside her position as a nurse wouldn't legally obligate Miss Liar to report it.
    Also, it wasn't something that even fell into a medical category, she didn't do a physical exam of Smith.

I would agree if it wasn’t for the pictures the victim took of herself in the bathroom mirror and had forwarded. For a nurse, that would be enough cause to suspect abuse.

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Urban Meyer will probably be let go. OSU knows if they keep him, there will be a hell storm of protests and all kinds of negative publicity.

OSU needs a squeaky clean coach after all their issues. Not sure if they will get one, but the AD's first two calls after Meyer is let go will come in this order:

1) Bob Stoops
    2) Tom Herman

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He can’t stay. Not with the issues going on in their other sports at the moment and the horrific nature of beating a woman. This isn’t the NFL, it is a public university. CUM knew, looked the other way, and then lied about it in a very public way. On a different note, I know we all think it could help our recruiting, but it could work against us if they bring in a big name like Peterson, Stoops or Riley. Maybe we get lucky and they hire Kiffin or McElwain.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@ugaforever said:

''Me too'' is the biggest reason this is likely going to end with Urban Liar out the door.

I applaud them.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    He can’t stay. Not with the issues going on in their other sports at the moment and the horrific nature of beating a woman. This isn’t the NFL, it is a public university. CUM knew, looked the other way, and then lied about it in a very public way. On a different note, I know we all think it could help our recruiting, but it could work against us if they bring in a big name like Peterson, Stoops or Riley. Maybe we get lucky and they hire Kiffin or McElwain.

None of them could do any better than UM. Nothing to worry about.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll bet he’s (Urban Meyer) given a slap on the wrist, with an insignificant partial season
    (Maybe just 4 games?) suspension, & the Ohio State Luckeyes keep their coach. IMHO? They are looking for ANY REASON TO NOT fire him.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It sure has gotten mighty quiet about it all of a sudden. And where is Herbstreit? Again, any other team in America and he would’ve had 2 hours a day, every day, on ESPN to drag them through the mud until they got the death penalty.