Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

So Meyer has significant memory loss

PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What the H does that mean? How can he be the head coach of a major college football team?! Or any football team for that matter?! What parent would want their child playing for a coach who might not know who he is next week? OSU & the NCAA have failed miserably. Could you imagine if this had happened to the head coach at Georgia? The previous coach would have been crucified. The current coach would have been banned from coaching for life.

Comments

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the old " i forgot my homework" ....... crazy.....like a fox!....highest paid state employee in ohio still has a few tricks up his sleeve....somebody shoulda told butch he coulda said " he forgot to recruit" and he may still be leading big orange to national championships of life.....this paves the way for urban to be a politician....the student is now a master.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Only when it come to ethics.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does he really ? I do not recall that.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@3rdshift said:
    the old " i forgot my homework" ....... crazy.....like a fox!....highest paid state employee in ohio still has a few tricks up his sleeve....somebody shoulda told butch he coulda said " he forgot to recruit" and he may still be leading big orange to national championships of life.....this paves the way for urban to be a politician....the student is now a master.

You sir have won the “commebtbof the day” for me. Ole Butch missed his chance for sure!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@3rdshift said:

You sir have won the “commebtbof the day” for me. Ole Butch missed his chance for sure!

Just saw the aforementioned Jones sitting in a meeting room last night in the ESPN 4 part series on AL football. I guess the Tide are also interested in becoming champions of life. Who better to consult than BJ?

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like some guy named Bill (I think?) way back from the 1990s. But my memory might be a little hazy here again also. Whatever. It is what it is.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Sounds like some guy named Bill (I think?) way back from the 1990s. But my memory might be a little hazy here again also. Whatever. It is what it is.

Its according to "what the definition of is- is" . Who else could get away with that but willy

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At this point, it's very hard to understand how people can defend Meyer or the university for defending him. The pyramid of lies and excuses is so overwhelming...the excuses are so blatantly flimsy and false....that those that still claim that they don't understand what he did wrong are being intellectually dishonest themselves.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    At this point, it's very hard to understand how people can defend Meyer or the university for defending him. The pyramid of lies and excuses is so overwhelming...the excuses are so blatantly flimsy and false....that those that still claim that they don't understand what he did wrong are being intellectually dishonest themselves.

This “verdict” surely surprises no one on this forum. When the committee was named several posters pointed out that it would clearly be a whitewash. Prescient I would say.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone blames it on something when caught in a lie!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@3rdshift said:

Almost every question, Meyer asked for it to be repeated. That is no random occurrence. He was coached to use that technique. Gives him time to think, makes the question seem more mundane, takes the edge off the listener (bored hearing the question twice). He is a slick one. Not a multi-millionaire for nothing/without being crafty. So, bad memory AND bad hearing. He's bucking for disability, I tell ya.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

This “verdict” surely surprises no one on this forum. When the committee was named several posters pointed out that it would clearly be a whitewash. Prescient I would say.

True. Personally, I am not surprised about the outcome. I've been posting my opinion since Day 1 of the scandal that I thought he would get suspended for a few games at most...

My surprise came from reading the investigation report itself....which I expected to be a story crafted to protect Meyer. It certainly does try to put a "best light" spin on the factual findings, but the lenient conclusions of the report make little sense when read in conjunction with the rest of the findings. It's as if the conclusions were written at a different time, by a different person.

The whole report is littered with misstatement here, lie there, failure to report here, failure to inform there, cover-up here, convenient misstatement here, convenient forgetfulness there, probably destruction of evidence here, don't believe him there, seems like another lie here.....culminating in the ridiculous conclusion that "good faith" mistakes were made and Meyer didn't "intentionally lie." Makes me wonder whether yesterday's 12 hour debate involved significant edits to the report and whether or not to release it at all.

Another bad faith move by OSU was the failure to release the report until AFTER the press conference, so that reporters in attendance couldn't ask Meyer, Smith, or the President about the disturbing conduct detailed in the report.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@donm said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

True. Personally, I am not surprised about the outcome. I've been posting my opinion since Day 1 of the scandal that I thought he would get suspended for a few games at most...

My surprise came from reading the investigation report itself....which I expected to be a story crafted to protect Meyer. It certainly does try to put a "best light" spin on the factual findings, but the lenient conclusions of the report make little sense when read in conjunction with the rest of the findings. It's as if the conclusions were written at a different time, by a different person.

The whole report is littered with misstatement here, lie there, failure to report here, failure to inform there, cover-up here, convenient misstatement here, convenient forgetfulness there, probably destruction of evidence here, don't believe him there, seems like another lie here.....culminating in the ridiculous conclusion that "good faith" mistakes were made and Meyer didn't "intentionally lie." Makes me wonder whether yesterday's 12 hour debate involved significant edits to the report and whether or not to release it at all.

Another bad faith move by OSU was the failure to release the report until AFTER the press conference, so that reporters in attendance couldn't ask Meyer, Smith, or the President about the disturbing conduct detailed in the report.

It’s weird how he wiped his cell phone clean. Seems to me if they truly wanted to investigate they’d ask the cell phone provider for the texts. I imagine if it’s a school issued phone they could get them if they really wanted.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@donm said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

What you’re describing is a trend lately I’ve seen in government investigations. I wish I could give you better examples, but it’s something just recently I’ve started noticing. But like if there’s something the government doesn’t want to prosecute, they won’t ignore the crimes. They’ll list them all, and even talk about how gory they were. Then at the very end they’ll say, but really this doesn’t deserve much punishment after all. I realize not everyone is going to agree with this, and it’s not really the point of what I’m saying. The point I’m trying to make out is just watch for this pattern. But one instance of this pattern was that day James Comey did a press conference announce the findings of the whole Hillary email thing. Now I’m not going to get into details because someone with a partisan liberal world view will want to argue with me. But just for people interested in the pattern, if anyone, that’s one place to see it. I’m sure you can find that press conference on YouTube, see if it doesn’t sound much like you’re describing happened with the OSU investigation. It’s like they make sure to list everything so no one can say, “what about this??!” If someone says that, they can just say “we already investigated it”.

It does sound like the OSU findings were more apologetic during it’s statement of findings calling things misstatements, etc. than a James Comey was. But the whole making sure everything isn’t mentioned, then to say “well, really there’s no need to punish...” is exactly the pattern. When any reasonable person reading it would be like, “how can you not punish this ****??!” Well now that they’ve done their investigation, “we listed that, we investigated it already...”

Drug reactions might make him forget where he left his keys, but not whether he knew an assistant was beating his wife.

@levander said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@donm said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

What you’re describing is a trend lately I’ve seen in government investigations. I wish I could give you better examples, but it’s something just recently I’ve started noticing. But like if there’s something the government doesn’t want to prosecute, they won’t ignore the crimes. They’ll list them all, and even talk about how gory they were. Then at the very end they’ll say, but really this doesn’t deserve much punishment after all. I realize not everyone is going to agree with this, and it’s not really the point of what I’m saying. The point I’m trying to make out is just watch for this pattern. But one instance of this pattern was that day James Comey did a press conference announce the findings of the whole Hillary email thing. Now I’m not going to get into details because someone with a partisan liberal world view will want to argue with me. But just for people interested in the pattern, if anyone, that’s one place to see it. I’m sure you can find that press conference on YouTube, see if it doesn’t sound much like you’re describing happened with the OSU investigation. It’s like they make sure to list everything so no one can say, “what about this??!” If someone says that, they can just say “we already investigated it”.

It does sound like the OSU findings were more apologetic during it’s statement of findings calling things misstatements, etc. than a James Comey was. But the whole making sure everything isn’t mentioned, then to say “well, really there’s no need to punish...” is exactly the pattern. When any reasonable person reading it would be like, “how can you not punish this ****??!” Well now that they’ve done their investigation, “we listed that, we investigated it already...”

Not to be political but the'' I can't recall'' argument gained favor after Reagan used it repeatedly during The Iran Contra investigation.