Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby may have a slow simmering Will Muschamp problem

Comments

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought this was going to be a thread about heartburn problems. Has anyone else noticed Kirby's behavior during press conferences? I swear he's dealing with heartburn / indigestion up there. He always looks like he just finished a big bowl of chili. Someone get the man some antacid.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:

@pgjackson said:
    Two coaching legends failed to do anything with SC. i doubt Muschamp is going to be any better.

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "failed to do anything"

They did have back to back to back 11 win seasons under Spurrier. Think they were like 18-2 at home at one point under him too. Before Spurrier USC had been to 11 bowl games and only won three, two of which were under Holtz. So prior to Lou Holtz they were 1 and 8 in bowls. That is over like 70 years

Under Spurrier alone they were 5-4. So he went to as almost as many bowls in his run at USC as the school did its entire previous history. And he won more. He also brought them to their first division title. And they went undefeated in the East another year (UGA ended up winning the division that year though)

Spurrier also went 5-0 at one point vs Clemson, their first ever win at Florida, defeated a #1 ranked Alabama, and beat UGA 3x in a row

I think that is USC's ceiling, and they may never have a run like that again, but they did not fail to do anything

Spurrier improved them, but he still only won the SECE once and promptly got an historic beatdown in the SECCG. So, unless you count winning the SECE as "something", neither he nor Holtz did squat.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@pgjackson said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@pgjackson said:
    Two coaching legends failed to do anything with SC. i doubt Muschamp is going to be any better.

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "failed to do anything"

They did have back to back to back 11 win seasons under Spurrier. Think they were like 18-2 at home at one point under him too. Before Spurrier USC had been to 11 bowl games and only won three, two of which were under Holtz. So prior to Lou Holtz they were 1 and 8 in bowls. That is over like 70 years

Under Spurrier alone they were 5-4. So he went to as almost as many bowls in his run at USC as the school did its entire previous history. And he won more. He also brought them to their first division title. And they went undefeated in the East another year (UGA ended up winning the division that year though)

Spurrier also went 5-0 at one point vs Clemson, their first ever win at Florida, defeated a #1 ranked Alabama, and beat UGA 3x in a row

I think that is USC's ceiling, and they may never have a run like that again, but they did not fail to do anything

Spurrier improved them, but he still only won the SECE once and promptly got an historic beatdown in the SECCG. So, unless you count winning the SECE as "something", neither he nor Holtz did squat.

so UGA also "failed to do anything" from 2006 to 2016 then? UGA did squat that period of time?

also, you might have missed it, but I def. typed more than just saying winning the SECE as something. I typed quite a bit more.

And that same Auburn team beat UGA by 18 that season.

Really, if winning the division is squat then by your metric almost every team in the country regularly fails to do anything year over year

based on your standards there are, at most, only 5 teams every year that are not failures and who did more than squat

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They can have the ones we don’t want

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SC will always have to recruit against their location. Spurrier did help improve the situation and I think Muschamp will build on it. But let's be clear--we can't get all the 4 and 5 stars out of Georgia every season. Georgia wants 'em all. Just don't have enough scholarships.

@JayDog said:
    SC will always have to recruit against their location. Spurrier did help improve the situation and I think Muschamp will build on it. But let's be clear--we can't get all the 4 and 5 stars out of Georgia every season. Georgia wants 'em all. Just don't have enough scholarships.

Spurrier improved SC...but then also left a huge mess. 7-6 and 2-4 in his last two seasons. I think he realized that it was a fruitless endeavor and left mid-season in total disgust.

@pgjackson said:

@JayDog said:

Spurrier improved SC...but then also left a huge mess. 7-6 and 2-4 in his last two seasons. I think he realized that it was a fruitless endeavor and left mid-season in total disgust.

They had a long way to go just to get from worst to merely bad.

@JayDog said:

@pgjackson said:

@JayDog said:

They had a long way to go just to get from worst to merely bad.

True. And I think they are right back where they started prior to Spurrier.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

Muschamp has been at SC the same amount of time Kirby has been at UGA.
    Too much is being made of a few kids deciding to go to SC.

Great point, but I think Muschamp has done a tremendous job, too. The talent at SC was so bad, Spurrier just up and quit, and it looked pretty grim. Muschamp has not only brought a lot of hope, he is collecting quite a number of high star players, particularly on D. I expect SC’s improvement to be another factor in the ascension of the SEC East.

The only player SC has committed that we would have allowed to commit to us is Daniel, it's not exactly a crisis

Pickens, but we’ll see where he ends up.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

The heat & that crowd will be the biggest problem at Williams-Brice on September 8th, NOT the coaching, & NOT the talent out on the field either. GO DAWGS!!!

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well my wife told me to put my Justin Fields pom poms down and sit back and enjoy the Jake Fromm show which will probably last thru his Jr season. He'll probably get srong consideration as the #1 overall pick if he comes out early which with that kinda money on the table he probably should although I know he's not in any financial hardship like many kids r. That scenario would give us 5 years of stellar QB play, 3 with Fromm and 2 with Justin I think DAWGNATION could live with that.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recruiting Tiers by Me

Tier 1: Bama, UGA
    Tier 1a: Ohio St

Tier 2: Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn, Clemson (unique recruiting), Miami, Florida St, USC, Penn St

Tier 3: South Carolina, Washington, Nebraska, Oregon, UNC

Definitely missing teams that should be in tiers 2 and 3, and those tiers are very close with teams moving up and down within them. Ohio State was ahead of UGA until the 2018 class, and they were better than Bama in 2018...but I still think Bama and UGA are on a different level currently overall.

South Carolina has recruited better than us on the DL for the past two classes, but that’s it, and that’s about to even out after the 19 and 20 classes. Our current DL is better than their current one too. We literally stole Channing Tindall from Columbia!

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got a feeling those Channing Tindall types r gonna be extra hard to pull out of S.C. in the future especially considering that Dabo also has a strong in-state brand. Not to suggest that S. Carolinas brand is strong or anything but the victories that he's (Muschamp) winning on the recruiting trail will start to payoff on Saturdays and they've always given us trouble no matter the talent disparity.

• southsidedawgsouthsidedawg Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

What's a thorn in the side when you got
    Your foot on the SEC East throat?....

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    That's the thing. If he can hold his own in regard to competing against Clemson for the couple handful of blue chippers S. Carolina produces every year, and pluck a few from Florida where he obviously has ties as well as Georgia and Tennessee he will b a small problem down the roa

USCjr has 19 four star recruits on roster. UGA has 14-15 five star recruits and 40something four stars. How long will it take Muschamp to catch up?

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The biggest difference maker in my opinion between USCjr vs UGA is the Offensive Line. I am also a firm believer that a good defense paired with a good offensive line is what really makes the difference in a teams capabilities

FBS average offensive lineman is 6'4" and 305 pounds
    SEC has the largest average at 6'4.5" and 312.2 pounds

in 2018 the current predicted depth chart places UGA at 6'5" and 315.4 pounds. If a few shifts happen the O-line for UGA could average 6'5.5" and 328 pounds. The offensive line is only getting bigger for our guys as well

USCjr will have an O-line that averages 6'4.4" and 303.6 pounds this year

Lets add this to O-line recruiting and talent since 2016

UGA:
    2016: one 4* and no 5*
    2017 three 4* and one 5*
    2018 three 4* and two 5*

total of 7 four star players and 3 five star players on the offensive line over 3 years for the good guys

South Carolina has landed just 2 four star offensive lineman since 2016 and no five stars. They also completely lack depth at the position.

2016: no 4* and no 5*
    2017 no 4* and no 5*
    2018 two 4* and no 5*

In 2019 as of now:

UGA: two 4* and no 5*
    USCjr: no 4* or 5*

While I am on the subject of offensive line... what Pittman has done is absolutely incredible so far

in 2015 our offensive line was 290 pounds on average (second to last in the entire SEC)
    the largest offensive line average in 2015 was Arkansas (Pittman was the 0-line coach) with an average of 311.7

UGA's offensive line 3 years later goes from second to last to currently second from the largest

back to the USCjr comparison is that in 2015 they averaged 305 pounds per offensive lineman... they are almost identical to that 3 years later. We are making leaping strides in every aspect of our game

We should not be deluded by "star" ratings and talent gaps. That is not science. A lot of unheralded players are late bloomers. Many 4 and 5 stars don't live up to potential. But then again, with proper attitude and coaching--those "stars" may actually mean something. How many championships has Ohio State won with all their 4 and 5 star recruits? The point is--we don't know how good a team will be until they play the games.

The above is just as true for Georgia as it is for SC. I don't think we should worry about SC any more than any other team. Every team can beat you on a given day. I believe our talent will make a difference because I believe in our coaching staff. So don't worry about the other guy. Take care of your own business--it's all you can do.

@JayDog said:
    We should not be deluded by "star" ratings and talent gaps. That is not science. A lot of unheralded players are late bloomers. Many 4 and 5 stars don't live up to potential. But then again, with proper attitude and coaching--those "stars" may actually mean something. How many championships has Ohio State won with all their 4 and 5 star recruits? The point is--we don't know how good a team will be until they play the games.

The above is just as true for Georgia as it is for SC. I don't think we should worry about SC any more than any other team. Every team can beat you on a given day. I believe our talent will make a difference because I believe in our coaching staff. So don't worry about the other guy. Take care of your own business--it's all you can do.

In

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2613145-do-top-10-recruiting-classes-really-equal-championships

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/7/26/17607382/blue-chip-ratio-recruit-national-title-championship-playoff

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/history-shows-national-titles-require-great-not-just-good-recruiting-over-4-years/

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@mattmd2 said:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about heartburn problems. Has anyone else noticed Kirby's behavior during press conferences? I swear he's dealing with heartburn / indigestion up there. He always looks like he just finished a big bowl of chili. Someone get the man some antacid.

In my opinion, Kirby could roll in with a CPAP mask and a throat mic and all would be Jake , as long as he recruits and wins at the current level. Go Dawgs!