Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brunswick Stew

124»

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

@donm said:

@coastaldawg said:
    Like mine with English peas in it, also good with the small, green Lima beans, what I call butter beans, in it.

It's kind of amazing to me that we can generate so much discussion on Brunswick Stew and no one seemed to go crazy and start dissing/throwing shade at others who have different tastes when it comes to BS. And yet, in some instances (pincer movements vs double envelopments and such) it's like all out war. As my man John Prine sings, "It's a big ole goofy world".

Hahaha. I was just thinking the same thing last night. It’s one of the things I like about food. Good food and breaking bread with others (in this case recipes) sort of downs out the noise this world makes.

I don’t know maybe I will do a weekly thread on different recipes to give us a buffer for a slight moment. Next week how to make grits haha

I. for one. would look forward to it.

Consider it done. I will base it around including their recipes and maybe we can get some traction on a DawgNation cookbook haha

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:
    The last picture, the stew looks a little grey. It’s probably just the lighting. All the other pics look awesome.

I typically make gumbos and red chili to freeze in serving size containers. And then I have homemade food ready to go any time I want. If I’m particularly motivated, I whip up some cornbread to go with it. It’s not hard after you’ve memorized the recipe.

How well does gumbo freeze? I’m kind of guessing all those little bits of stuff get to soggy and you lose all the texture. My guess is it’s best eaten within a few days of being made.

It must have been the lights but I see what you mean. Oh, the wife made some cornbread

https://youtu.be/nmMT0ZbNOHY

@Dawg1419 THAT'S FUNNY!!!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

As a public service, I found this Brunswick stew recipe that seems plausible as to "authenticity", or at least might taste good.

It has Lima beans. I didn't read the Wiki article on Brunswick stew, but this recipe has New World (the Americas) vegetables - potatoes (new world), Lima beans (NW), tomatoes (NW), corn (aka, maize, NW), and the cayenne pepper (NW), and the brown sugar would be from sugar cane (NW), so it seems that Brunswick stew would be pretty old timey and of course, 'Murican in origin. It has three animal proteins, one of which might be squirrel, way back (in time, or in the woods). Of the proffered recipe, I would change tomato paste for the ketchup. T paste would thicken better w/o the sugar (might be High Fructose Corn Syrup - ooooooohhhhh!) of the ketchup . Don't know about the steak seasoning (Stone House Seasoning) or the Worcestershire sauce. I suspect the garlic in the steak seasoning/stew is not authentic.

https://addapinch.com/brunswick-stew-recipe/

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Brunswick Stew is a classic, iconic stew recipe. Get this family favorite Brunswick Stew recipe that is sure to become this hit of every gathering you serve it.
    Yield:: 12
    Author: Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups pulled pork from pork roast recipe
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    5 medium red potatoes diced
    1 (15-ounce) can Lima beans
    4 cups cream style white corn
    1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons Stone House Seasoning *
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
    Add shredded chicken, pulled pork, and shredded beef - or mixture thereof - to a large, heavy-bottomed stew pot over medium-low heat. Add beef stock, onion, potatoes, beans, corn, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning and cayenne pepper to the meats.
    Simmer over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated and all flavors have had time to combine, about 30 minutes.
    Serve warm.

/* Stone House Seasoning Ingredients
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons granulated garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Hope to try this soon.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:
    As a public service, I found this Brunswick stew recipe that seems plausible as to "authenticity", or at least might taste good.

It has Lima beans. I didn't read the Wiki article on Brunswick stew, but this recipe has New World (the Americas) vegetables - potatoes (new world), Lima beans (NW), tomatoes (NW), corn (aka, maize, NW), and the cayenne pepper (NW), and the brown sugar would be from sugar cane (NW), so it seems that Brunswick stew would be pretty old timey and of course, 'Murican in origin. It has three animal proteins, one of which might be squirrel, way back (in time, or in the woods). Of the proffered recipe, I would change tomato paste for the ketchup. T paste would thicken better w/o the sugar (might be High Fructose Corn Syrup - ooooooohhhhh!) of the ketchup . Don't know about the steak seasoning (Stone House Seasoning) or the Worcestershire sauce. I suspect the garlic in the steak seasoning/stew is not authentic.

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Brunswick Stew is a classic, iconic stew recipe. Get this family favorite Brunswick Stew recipe that is sure to become this hit of every gathering you serve it.
    Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Add shredded chicken, pulled pork, and shredded beef - or mixture thereof - to a large, heavy-bottomed stew pot over medium-low heat. Add beef stock, onion, potatoes, beans, corn, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning and cayenne pepper to the meats.
    Simmer over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated and all flavors have had time to combine, about 30 minutes.
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Thanks. I' going to give it a try in the near future as well. Other recipes would be welcomed too.

• Options

Good grief...I keep forgetting to post a portion of my family’s recipe. Meant to do it this past Friday. The wife and I had a unplanned date night at the local Mexican joint. The margaritas were flowing for her

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Interesting. In my opinion you want Worcestershire sauce

• Options
    edited September 2018

Edit.. i was reviewing the recipe and it had some mistypes. One second

Edit again... I freaking deleted everything I typed when I hit select all.... good grief.

Fireplug bros recipe is similar to mine. Grind the meat and don’t skip it! Apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce makes a difference.

Chicken beef and pork.... no beans in my opinion. Place a stick of butter in the cavity of the chicken if you’re smoking your meat like I do.

If not....hit your local bbq joint up to save time but use smoked meat.

• Options

@donm said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Thanks. I' going to give it a try in the near future as well. Other recipes would be welcomed too.

Added my recipe that I keep forgetting too

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Fire plug bro .... my apologies again for forgetting but I typed the recipe up and posted it. It’s not the entire recipe but it will get you in the right direction. Only thing thag is missing is my rub for the meat. Hope you enjoy.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Oh and I had John Prine’s “In spite of ourselves played at my wedding” Slipped it past the wife. Had some looks, but she knew it was our song

Boy, that brings back memories. A (girl) friend and I sang "In Spite of Ourselves" at a wedding 20 years ago, at the couple's request. Such a great song. Wish I could say I did it justice, but I'm no John Prine, and I had a few too many cocktails before taking the stage. Thankfully the girl nailed her part. And the couple is still married to this day, raising a little dawg.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg thanks for the recipe! I've seen so many that use a half cup or more of barbecue sauce. That would add more sugar than I remember in my favorite stews of the past. This recipe looks closer to what Ive been seeking.

• Options
    JMFDJMFD Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like a big ol bowl of YUMMY to me!

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Fire plug bro .... my apologies again for forgetting but I typed the recipe up and posted it. It’s not the entire recipe but it will get you in the right direction. Only thing thag is missing is my rub for the meat. Hope you enjoy.

I don't see it. Please do a bump on it so it will be obvious.

• Options

That was an error on my part last evening. Spent a good portion of my evening typing it up on my cellular device. Noticed some errors and hit select all and accidentally deleted. I made an edit on my post explaining my error. Said screw it and went to bed. Here ya go and keep in mind the only thing missing is my rub recipe, but it’s my family’s recipe for the most part.

Don’t skip the step of grinding your meat. A butcher shop can do this if you don’t own a grinder.

Also, if you do not want to not smoke your own meat, you can save time by going to your local bbq joint. I smoke my meat because I know what I like. Use smoked meat though. My family used to use a big cast iron pot and a fire outside. Smoked meat makes a difference.

Play with the sauces to get it right for your own tastes. Chicken, pork, and beef-no beans is how I grew up on it.

Lastly, this recipe will make 2 crock pots full.. give or take. Scale to fit your needs. You don’t need to have everything this recipe calls ( like a smoker etc) you can make it work with what you own in order to have a good product. Use what you got. Ooooh cornbread... serve with it.

Prep time the amount of time you have to live

Cook time as long as you got. Low and slow. The longer the better

1- chicken
    1- 2 pound pork roast
    1- 2 pound beef roast
    2-28ounce whole tomatoes, keep juice 2- 15.5 can diced tomatoes, keep juice 2- 14.5 ounce cans of corn drained
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    3 T dry rub
    21/2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup beef stock
    1 cup pork stock
    2 cups water
    Cover chicken, pork and beef in dry rub and cook. Smoke chicken with one stick of butter in cavity. Smoke the pork and beef as well ( Grind up cooked meat and chicken. DONT SKIP!!!! Add half of meat mixture in each crockpot.
    Dice three onions and cook until clear. Divide in two, half in one crockpot, half in the other. Add one can of whole tomatoes and juice at a time to blender to coarsely chop, then pour in crockpot. Repeat with other 28 ounce can of tomatoes, adding to the other crockpot. Add 1-15.5 ounce of diced tomatoes, with juice to each crockpot. Add one can of corn, drained to each crockpot. Add 1

1/4 cup of chicken stock in each crockpot. Add 1 cup of water to each crockpot. Stir to combine.
    Sauce:
    1 cup catsup
    2 sticks of butter
    3 T of dry rub
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 1 cup of beef stock
    1 cup of pork stock
    Add to saucepan and heat up. Then divide and add half to each crockpot. Cook low and slow. Add broth or water if needed.

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JRT812 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

Brunswick Stew Recipe
    Prep Time 10 mins
    Cook Time 30 mins
    Total Time 40 mins

Ingredients
    3 cups shredded chicken
    3 cups shredded beef
    2 cups beef stock
    1 medium onion diced
    1/4 cup ketchup

Directions
    Serve warm.

1/4 cup kosher salt

Hope to try this soon.

Bumped it and retyped it

• Options
    edited September 2018

@JRT812 said:

That was an error on my part last evening. Spent a good portion of my evening typing it up on my cellular device. Noticed some errors and hit select all and accidentally deleted. I made an edit on my post explaining my error. Said screw it and went to bed. Here ya go and keep in mind the only thing missing is my rub recipe, but it’s my family’s recipe for the most part.

Don’t skip the step of grinding your meat. A butcher shop can do this if you don’t own a grinder.

Also, if you do not want to not smoke your own meat, you can save time by going to your local bbq joint. I smoke my meat because I know what I like. Use smoked meat though. My family used to use a big cast iron pot and a fire outside. Smoked meat makes a difference.

Play with the sauces to get it right for your own tastes. Chicken, pork, and beef-no beans is how I grew up on it.

Lastly, this recipe will make 2 crock pots full.. give or take. Scale to fit your needs. You don’t need to have everything this recipe calls ( like a smoker etc) you can make it work with what you own in order to have a good product. Use what you got. Ooooh cornbread... serve with it.

Prep time the amount of time you have to live

Cook time as long as you got. Low and slow. The longer the better

1- chicken
    1- 2 pound pork roast
    1- 2 pound beef roast
    2-28ounce whole tomatoes, keep juice 2- 15.5 can diced tomatoes, keep juice 2- 14.5 ounce cans of corn drained
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    3 T dry rub
    21/2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup beef stock
    1 cup pork stock
    2 cups water
    Cover chicken, pork and beef in dry rub and cook. Smoke chicken with one stick of butter in cavity. Smoke the pork and beef as well ( Grind up cooked meat and chicken. DONT SKIP!!!! Add half of meat mixture in each crockpot.
    Dice three onions and cook until clear. Divide in two, half in one crockpot, half in the other. Add one can of whole tomatoes and juice at a time to blender to coarsely chop, then pour in crockpot. Repeat with other 28 ounce can of tomatoes, adding to the other crockpot. Add 1-15.5 ounce of diced tomatoes, with juice to each crockpot. Add one can of corn, drained to each crockpot. Add 1

1/4 cup of chicken stock in each crockpot. Add 1 cup of water to each crockpot. Stir to combine.
    Sauce:
    1 cup catsup
    2 sticks of butter
    3 T of dry rub
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 1 cup of beef stock
    1 cup of pork stock
    Add to saucepan and heat up. Then divide and add half to each crockpot. Cook low and slow. Add broth or water if needed.

Thanks I thought the beef stock (base stock) in "my" recipe was a little too much beef flavor. (Note: It seems you are using only 1/2 cup of chicken stock ^^, with 2 cups left over - ? ) Sometimes you see turkey stock/broth in stores, especially this time of year (nearly fall). Thought I might use turkey broth as the base broth/stock and as another New World ingredient and another animal protein to compare with/complement the chicken.

I Googled for commercial pork stock and it is unavailable unless I missed it. The "pork gravy" had no pork in it. But pork stock would be easy to make if one had the bones, but i probably wouldn't bother. Should be enough juices from the pork roast.

'Preciate the tips about smoking/roasting, etc. Not meant as sharp-shooting, but wanted to give my reaction.

Edit: You add no sugar! which is a bonus.

Also I would try serving this over rice (non-traditional) - perhaps as a leftover use. Drain excess 'water', use some to flavor the rice (prepared dryish), then put drained stew over it. Prediction -> delish!

• Options
    edited September 2018

Going to keep this going with other recipes y’all may enjoy. This isn’t really a recipe but here ya go

Bag of potatoes cut up
    1 color of each peppers cut up
    1 jar of pepperoncini‘s
    3 kielbasa
    Spice to your liking
    1 Onion if you like
    Pour cheese on it
    Let it simmer and cook as long as you want.

Makes 1 crockpot full/ cast iron pot full

• Options

Oh and cornbread goes well with it

• Options

Something similar to your potatoes and peppers (w/kielbasa) that is quick and easy. Note: quantities vary as you please

Potatoes cut up
    Onions cut up
    Olive oil (or other non-neutral oil) - slather/splash on (Alternative is butter)
    Oregano dusted over the top
    (optional/alternative to oregano) Italian herb seasoning (like McCormick's) dusted on top
    (optional) Seasoning salt, like Cavender's Greek seasoning
    Place all in covered casserole dish

Nuke for however long (onions soft/potatoes soft)
    Stir once before serving.

Can put into aluminum foil (tin foil) and put into your coals if roughing it.

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:
    Something similar to your potatoes and peppers (w/kielbasa) that is quick and easy. Note: quantities vary as you please

Potatoes cut up
    Onions cut up
    Olive oil (or other non-neutral oil) - slather/splash on (Alternative is butter)
    Oregano dusted over the top
    (optional/alternative to oregano) Italian herb seasoning (like McCormick's) dusted on top
    (optional) Seasoning salt, like Cavender's Greek seasoning
    Place all in covered casserole dish

Nuke for however long (onions soft/potatoes soft)
    Stir once before serving.

Can put into aluminum foil (tin foil) and put into your coals if roughing it.

My man! That sounds amazing!