Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

John Emery Jr. ..... Maybe, just maybe, as good as it gets?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GordonBombayGordonBombay Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PeachCoDawg said:
    named > @GordonBombay said:

Speed is the real deal and cutting is the real deal. For these vids, please ignore all long touchdown runs that come without contact. Please pay close attention to what happens with contact. He’s elusive as heck, but when guys get their arms on him, he’s down. He’s no Gurley. He’s no Chubb. Michel is a pretty apt comparison, as is Keith Marshall. I say all these things to temper expectations but please be dang excited he’s a dawg!

He's a mid teen in those videos. He's got another year in HS and you're comparing his abilities to polished, brutal SEC backs? Give the kid some time. They all needed it. If White hadn't tore his knee up, I'd say he's the closest to a real SEC back coming right in, but they all have to develop A LOT! We'll make him a stud

I guess I need to give him another year. I’ve been comparing this video to Chubb, Gurley, Marshall, and Michel’s senior year of high school tape, so a 1 year difference. He’s gonna be a good one be regardless.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GordonBombay said:

@PeachCoDawg said:
    named > @GordonBombay said:

Speed is the real deal and cutting is the real deal. For these vids, please ignore all long touchdown runs that come without contact. Please pay close attention to what happens with contact. He’s elusive as heck, but when guys get their arms on him, he’s down. He’s no Gurley. He’s no Chubb. Michel is a pretty apt comparison, as is Keith Marshall. I say all these things to temper expectations but please be dang excited he’s a dawg!

He's a mid teen in those videos. He's got another year in HS and you're comparing his abilities to polished, brutal SEC backs? Give the kid some time. They all needed it. If White hadn't tore his knee up, I'd say he's the closest to a real SEC back coming right in, but they all have to develop A LOT! We'll make him a stud

I guess I need to give him another year. I’ve been comparing this video to Chubb, Gurley, Marshall, and Michel’s senior year of high school tape, so a 1 year difference. He’s gonna be a good one be regardless.

Yeah just give him some time bro. Those coaches know who they want. He'll be another beast in the backfield

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Not sure what videos you are watching, but he breaks a lot of tackles in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQes1BmkH2Q

Thank you for this ^^ The best make it seem very easy. Mercy! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Not sure what videos you are watching, but he breaks a lot of tackles in this one.

Like someone said earlier, I think he's more like a Moreno with more top end speed than anyone else.

• Options
    SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Like someone said earlier, I think he's more like a Moreno with more top end speed than anyone else.

Couldn’t place who he reminded me of, and this is it. This is spot on.

Regarding the concern that his film doesn’t show many broken tackles, being able to turn a form tackle into an arm tackle because of elusiveness is not a bad thing. You’ll notice nobody squares him up. The tackles he doesn’t break aren’t due to a lack of power, but rather him being chased down from behind and corralled by the opposing defense, some 25 yards down field. He routinely gets downfield without anyone getting a hand on him because of vision, speed, and elusiveness. If you recall Richard Samuel’s running style, the dude had all the strength and speed you can ask for, but had no wiggle. Just rant straight through guys. It netted more broken tackles that Emery Jr’ running style. But how productive was that?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the kid a lot, but I'll be surprised if he's an all time great.
    He does everything well, but nothing great, at least from what I see on film.

That said, Bama had a back win a Heisman without having any particularly exceptional feature. When a RB can execute everything well and runs behind an exceptional OL, he can get things done.

• Options

PS. I have a particular fondness for knowing a kid has made a good choice by coming to UGA, even beyond winning in a way. These backs we're signing will have every chance to succeed, and without having to wear themselves out.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IDC what anybody says this kid is a special talent. Not Gurley but **** sure isn't Carlton Thomas!

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    IDC what anybody says this kid is a special talent. Not Gurley but **** sure isn't Carlton Thomas!

I don't think anybody has or will suggest he's Carlton Thomas ( who I thought would be exceptional, I still can't reconcile his great HS film with what he did at UGA)
    The question is more whether he's in Chubb, Gurley and Knowshon's class or a shade below them.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

But how productive was that?

Pretty productive against the gators!

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well your comparing a hs senior to 3 guys that went pro. IMO he's smaller than Knowshon but seems as fast or faster 4.42, and more slippery.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    Well your comparing a hs senior to 3 guys that went pro. IMO he's smaller than Knowshon but seems as fast or faster 4.42, and more slippery.

If I see a single exceptional trait in Emory I'll go with his tight, quick and fluid downhill first cut, which is extremely important IMO. In that way he is similar to The Falcons; Devonte Freeman. The ability to cut through small gaps near the LOS quickly while maintaining down field momentum is a big deal.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We got the best back in this class imo. When he arrives he’ll be the 3rd best back on our team. He has talent just has to maximize it.

FWIW. He’s not who I wanted to get, but I’m elated we got him. Ty Davis would’ve been special with our OL but Emery will have his chance to be that as well.

• Options

I just read Sentell's article on Emory, it is by far the best I've seen on the subject of his choosing UGA.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:

@pgjackson said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Regarding the concern that his film doesn’t show many broken tackles, being able to turn a form tackle into an arm tackle because of elusiveness is not a bad thing. You’ll notice nobody squares him up. The tackles he doesn’t break aren’t due to a lack of power, but rather him being chased down from behind and corralled by the opposing defense, some 25 yards down field. He routinely gets downfield without anyone getting a hand on him because of vision, speed, and elusiveness. If you recall Richard Samuel’s running style, the dude had all the strength and speed you can ask for, but had no wiggle. Just rant straight through guys. It netted more broken tackles that Emery Jr’ running style. But how productive was that?

Exactly. That’s a better way of saying what I was saying with the freeze you with my eyeballs thing. It’s ridiculously impressive when he does it even at a slow speed. It’s like he’s got a knack for figuring how a defender’s balance on his legs is. And he gets them so they can’t lunge at him.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    I went back and took a closer look at his videos and to say I was thoroughly impressed is an understatement. I can't vouch for his power. speed, durability or ball protection but when it comes to just running the ball, I don't think I've ever seen anybody at any level do it any better. His vision and timing is as good as it gets. He absolutely knows how to set up his blockers. Every burst, hesitation, head fake, cut, heck every move is perfection and every run is maximized. I realize these his "highlights" so I was trying not to get too carried away, but I challenge you to watch these and other videos very closely and tell me I'm wrong. So glad he's a Dawg!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7392097/57f94bf2f617083edc4ef375
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7392097/584375e6dfd8b7230c0b3ffc

Well we will never know now! Bad news after bad news!!!!!

• Options

@BojanglesInsider said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@Red_N_Black said:
    I went back and took a closer look at his videos and to say I was thoroughly impressed is an understatement. I can't vouch for his power. speed, durability or ball protection but when it comes to just running the ball, I don't think I've ever seen anybody at any level do it any better. His vision and timing is as good as it gets. He absolutely knows how to set up his blockers. Every burst, hesitation, head fake, cut, heck every move is perfection and every run is maximized. I realize these his "highlights" so I was trying not to get too carried away, but I challenge you to watch these and other videos very closely and tell me I'm wrong. So glad he's a Dawg!

Why on God's green earth are you bumping this shite and acting all giddy about it?? W T F?

Look clown! Does it sound like I’m giddy about this? You try too much to be cheeky and funny, it’s starting to wear thin. Go make biscuits!

• Options

@BojanglesInsider said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@Red_N_Black said:

Why on God's green earth are you bumping this shite and acting all giddy about it?? W T F?

Does it sound like I’m giddy about this?

It certainly reads like it !!!111

Troll troll troll!!! Pathetic !