Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Athens music

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's your favorite? Besides REM, its gotta be the Drive By Truckers and Jason Isbell. Nothing better than going to The Georgia Theater and seeing the Truckers in the early 2000s. Their energy reminds me of CKS's program now.

Comments

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    I’d go REM. B-52s are a little weird for my tastes. And I was never a jam band guy so that eliminates widespread panic.

Surprisingly I’m not a bigger fan for some reason

I hit that exactly. Never saw the allure if jam bands...except dand Allman Brothers.

That being said, if you haven't checked out the DBT or Jason Isbell, please do. The DBTs are straight bourbon drinking a** kicking rock and roll. Their new stuff is too political. Jason was one of their boys who left. Sobered up and caught his muse. Hes unbelievable w that same great song writing abilty.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

Spread em 🤙🏻

Also the next big thing out of Athens is called AFTM, not a big fan of their music but they started like a year ago and i swear every single uga student plays their music, they have like 200,000 plays on one of their songs on Spotify

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

70s - B52s, Normaltown Flyers
    80s - Love Tractor, Dreams so Real, Panic, Pylon, Mark Heard, John Barry
    90s - Vigilantes of Love, of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, the Glands,Vic Chesnutt, Truckers, Casper & the Cookies
    00s - Dead Confederate, Azure Ray, Reptar, Danger Mouse, Goons, Muuy Biien

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

Pylon
    Love Tractor
    Widespread Panic
    B-52s
    What R.E.M. had that Pylon and Love tractor didn't have was Michael Stipe, he gave them their unique soul and sound. Murmur came out when I was a senior at UGA, it remains a benchmark album.
    The Drive By Truckers came well past my time in Athens, I'm a bigger fan of Isbell's solo work than the band.
    The B-52s, very authentic and cool, but not music I'd buy for myself.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like the major Athens bands have already been covered above, so I'll give a shout out to a few that weren't from Athens but played there and elsewhere around the southeast during my college days:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

edited November 2018
  • 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

whigs, ponderosa (athens/atl) , mgmt (uga), futurebirds (with the original drummer), phosphorescent .....ill stop there....one of the top music towns in the USA....will always love it...there will always be that side of town...that is a part of our culture...that truly separates us from those towns that worship at the altar of whatever sport they are good at...win loose or draw you can hear a pretty good band in our beloved town most nights of the week....

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:
    Seems like the major Athens bands have already been covered above, so I'll give a shout out to a few that weren't from Athens but played there and elsewhere around the southeast during my college days:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

DNC's Straight To Hell is a one of a kind beer drinking sing along song.

@3rdshift said:
    whigs, ponderosa (athens/atl) , mgmt (uga), futurebirds (with the original drummer), phosphorescent .....ill stop there....one of the top music towns in the USA....will always love it...there will always be that side of town...that is a part of our culture...that truly separates us from those towns that worship at the altar of whatever sport they are good at...win loose or draw you can hear a pretty good band in our beloved town most nights of the week....

Great comment, but it's win, lose, or draw. We all must join together to stop the loose thing.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Corey Smith... Conversation over... lol

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

Drivin' 'N Cryin'
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Dash Rip Rock
    The Connells
    White Animals

DNC's Straight To Hell is a one of a kind beer drinking sing along song.

LOVED Driving and crying growing up. Honeysuckle blues is an awesome song... my wife isnt a big fan though

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Baba O' Riley by The Who no longer in the mix?

• fareastdawgfareastdawg Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

Five Eight was my favorite band back in the early 90s.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been liking DBT recently discovered on a local radio show here in Orlando called Sunday morning coming down. Sundays 9-noon on 104.1 you guys should check it out .

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    70s - B52s, Normaltown Flyers
    80s - Love Tractor, Dreams so Real, Panic, Pylon, Mark Heard, John Barry
    90s - Vigilantes of Love, of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, the Glands,Vic Chesnutt, Truckers, Casper & the Cookies
    00s - Dead Confederate, Azure Ray, Reptar, Danger Mouse, Goons, Muuy Biien

Was going to post Dreams So Real, that was a big one for me.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Panic in the Streets was my first visit to Athens without the parents.
    Was a wild wild weekend

• NYCLawDawgNYCLawDawg Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior