Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Josh Donaldson

TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like the Braves are swinging for the fences on this one year deal at $23M. I guess I like it.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:
    Yeah interesting move, but makes a lot of sense. If he is healthy and his usual self, he will be one of the best players in the league. If he has another injury riddled year, we only lose money in a 1 year deal.

Pretty low risk in terms of MLB contracts with a high potential reward. And if he balls out and we aren’t in the playoff hunt, we can trade him. If he balls out all year and we don’t want to resign him, we can extend a qualifying offer and get draft pick compensation.

I guess they’re finally moving carmargi to super utility, which is fine. Look for us to basically have 5 starting infielders instead of 4 this year. Also they got McCann back so that’s something I guess?

I missed the McCann signing

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BIG pickup!! Besides our young starters and bullpen (specifically shut down closer) we needed a power bat in the lineup BAD! I doubt Acuna will be leading off because we need him driving in runs and he'll be a 30/30 guy. I'm not a fan of "renting" guys like we did with Texeria, but his pop hitting behind Freddy will definitely help us be legitimate contenders next year. Catcher, another starter and a couple of nasty guys on the back end of the bullpen would make em expected to win the east and more.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Have to like the moves, filled two positions without giving up any of our young pitchers, and only have a one year obligation on both. Will have Camargo and Culbertson as utility players, or replacements for Swanson. Can still trade some of our young pitchers for a right fielder, a front line starting pitcher, or bullpen help.

Heard they still have in the neighborhood of 10-30M left they could spend, but just because they have it doesn’t mean they will spend it and the exact number isn’t known to the public.

McCann isn’t a big time catcher anymore, he is pretty bad these days and can’t handle a big workload. If he is going to be our backup catcher that doesn’t really move the needle much, but he was sooooo cheap at 2M. Maybe saving for another big time expensive target in the rotation or corner outfield?

Who do you guys think we could go after in a trade?

Definitely need a guy with nasty stuff and experience closing. I sure wish they would try to get something productive for Teheran

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:
    Definitely need a guy with nasty stuff and experience closing. I sure wish they would try to get something productive for Teheran

You can’t really get anything for Julio unfortunately. Frankly if we could get someone to pay his contract we could give him away for nothing.

@Kirbstomper said:

@MacDawg15 said:

You can’t really get anything for Julio unfortunately. Frankly if we could get someone to pay his contract we could give him away for nothing.

@Kirbstomper said:

@MacDawg15 said:

That's what I mean. Even if we traded him for a utility guy to come off the bench it'd be beneficial imo. Too many young guns in the system for Julio to still have a spot in the rotation.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves are going some tough choices to make with their starting pitching. Folty, Glausman, and Touki would seem to be locks to me, and then you would have Sanchez, Newcomb, Tehran, Sokora, and all the other youngsters who got starts last year. Newcomb has great stuff, but don’t see him keeping his spot unless his command improves dramatically. Sanchez was solid and seemed to have a positive effect on the young starters. Tehran has been the eternal tease, don’t see him sticking around. Sokora looked great but couldn’t stay healthy. I would like to see us getting a front-line left-handed starter, I’ve seen Dallas Keuchel’s name mentioned, but he might be too pricey and over-rated at this point. My choices would be Folty, Glausman. Touki, Sokora, and Newcomb, Allard, or another lefty. Would keep Sanchez for long relief.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm surprised, I didn't think Liberty would spring for a contract like that.
    If Donaldson is healthy and plays to 2017 level, we're a much better team with him in the lineup.
    I think Swanson is the odd man out if Camargo can play reasonably good at SS. Swanson might still be a valuable component as a utility infielder and it might help him put it together through motivation or reduced pressure.

I'm a very big on base percentage plus power proponent, Donaldson has both when right. If he can add 20 hrs and 30 RBIs to the total, he'll be a major factor.
    Of course if he doesn't come back strong, it's a lot of money and cap space.

@coastaldawg said:
    Braves are going some tough choices to make with their starting pitching. Folty, Glausman, and Touki would seem to be locks to me, and then you would have Sanchez, Newcomb, Tehran, Sokora, and all the other youngsters who got starts last year. Newcomb has great stuff, but don’t see him keeping his spot unless his command improves dramatically. Sanchez was solid and seemed to have a positive effect on the young starters. Tehran has been the eternal tease, don’t see him sticking around. Sokora looked great but couldn’t stay healthy. I would like to see us getting a front-line left-handed starter, I’ve seen Dallas Keuchel’s name mentioned, but he might be too pricey and over-rated at this point. My choices would be Folty, Glausman. Touki, Sokora, and Newcomb, Allard, or another lefty. Would keep Sanchez for long relief.

If a great deal comes along, figure out who is untouchable and put a package together with one or more of the pitchers left available. Spring training will sort out the rest. I'd keep Folty, Soroka and Wright for sure.

@Kirbstomper said:
    Yeah interesting move, but makes a lot of sense. If he is healthy and his usual self, he will be one of the best players in the league. If he has another injury riddled year, we only lose money in a 1 year deal.

Pretty low risk in terms of MLB contracts with a high potential reward. And if he balls out and we aren’t in the playoff hunt, we can trade him. If he balls out all year and we don’t want to resign him, we can extend a qualifying offer and get draft pick compensation.

I guess they’re finally moving carmargi to super utility, which is fine. Look for us to basically have 5 starting infielders instead of 4 this year. Also they got McCann back so that’s something I guess?

If Camargo can play SS reasonably well he'd be my starter there. At 24 years old his bat is already solid, and could get considerably better.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m very big and favor of Touki. Folty is our number 1 going into the year and then 2-5 will be sorted out in spring training

@dbrown7494 said:
    I’m very big and favor of Touki. Folty is our number 1 going into the year and then 2-5 will be sorted out in spring training

Touki is a wildcard. He has the big arm, but can he control it ?
    I'm a big fan of Soroka if he stays healthy.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

$23M for a guy who hit his weight last year? He was a great player but injuries have made him very average. I hope he pans out better than another blockbuster player, BJ Upton.

@AndersonDawg said:
    $23M for a guy who hit his weight last year? He was a great player but injuries have made him very average. I hope he pans out better than another blockbuster player, BJ Upton.

It was just last year though, he was on top in 2017. Hopefully our scouts did their homework. He has been a 30 hr, .380 OBP player in recent years, that would be a huge plus if he can return to form. If he is healthy and Camargo can play well at SS we'll have added big value at both positions.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Have to like the moves, filled two positions without giving up any of our young pitchers, and only have a one year obligation on both. Will have Camargo and Culbertson as utility players, or replacements for Swanson. Can still trade some of our young pitchers for a right fielder, a front line starting pitcher, or bullpen help.

All of the above. Teheran could go either way . He's a relative bargain at his current salary, which also makes him attractive trade bait for other teams. He was supposed to be our ace, but the flashes of brilliance have been intermittent. I have doubted for more than a year if he would ever be consistent.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm definitely impressed they spent on Donaldson, and hope it works out. Just seems like a roll of the dice with $23M that I didn't expect from this group. Hopefully the physical is thorough and comes up clean.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@TNDawg71 said:
    I'm definitely impressed they spent on Donaldson, and hope it works out. Just seems like a roll of the dice with $23M that I didn't expect from this group. Hopefully the physical is thorough and comes up clean.

It will be fun (I hope) to follow him thru the season. I'm glad we got a one year deal for him...if he doesn't work out were clean. If he does, we can trade him or keep him, although 23 mil is a pretty steep price tag. I like that AA isn't afraid to take chances. I'm a little nervous that he seems to favor his former players (Joey Bats, for example). But then, one could argue, he at least knows them quite well and what they can do - or have done. I just hope Johan doesn't fall in the cracks. I think he could be an elite player, hitting close to .300 and 20+ homers per year plus great D. If he only gets spotty at bats, he won't continue to improve.

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

It will be fun (I hope) to follow him thru the season. I'm glad we got a one year deal for him...if he doesn't work out were clean. If he does, we can trade him or keep him, although 23 mil is a pretty steep price tag. I like that AA isn't afraid to take chances. I'm a little nervous that he seems to favor his former players (Joey Bats, for example). But then, one could argue, he at least knows them quite well and what they can do - or have done. I just hope Johan doesn't fall in the cracks. I think he could be an elite player, hitting close to .300 and 20+ homers per year plus great D. If he only gets spotty at bats, he won't continue to improve.

I think the offensive upgrade at SS made possible by this move might be greater than the increase at 3B. If Camargo wins the job over Swanson it could mean an extra 30 to 40 runs for the team over a season. Swanson's low OBP is a deal killer from my perspective. Having a guy with a .300 OBP in the lineup is a rally killer.