Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Augusta—home for the holidays?

KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Who’s gonna be in Augusta for the holidays? I’ll be there dec 21-24. Anyone wanna meet up for a drink and talk how great we are/gonna be?

Comments

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just went home for Thanksgiving. Family coming here for Christmas. Catch you next time.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Just went home for Thanksgiving. Family coming here for Christmas. Catch you next time.

For sure

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sadly Augusta is too far away from Gwinnett County right now. We hopefully will be bringing our twins home from the NICU around that time, so we won’t be traveling far. If you ever make it out this way I’ve got a couple good spots to meet, both the food and beer are good!

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

if you decide to party in savannah, hit me up

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey I’ll find out the wife’s plans for us. We got some things in Atl happening but I know we gotta go see family there also. Would be good times I’m sure!

@Muffingod I hope all goes well and you get them home soon as planned. Going to be a great Christmas present for sure! Will say some prayers for you and family .

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@Kasey I’ll find out the wife’s plans for us. We got some things in Atl happening but I know we gotta go see family there also. Would be good times I’m sure!

@Muffingod I hope all goes well and you get them home soon as planned. Going to be a great Christmas present for sure! Will say some prayers for you and family .

Thank you @BiggerBadDawg ! Fortunately they’re not sick, they’re just small from being 5 weeks early.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Think i may be moving to the Augusta area in January. Is there anything to do out there?

@Kirbstomper said:
    Think i may be moving to the Augusta area in January. Is there anything to do out there?

No. Golf. Eat. Stay in every hotel on Washington road

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

Yes, there's things to do. Where are you coming from? If you're coming from say Atlanta, then there's less things to do obviously, but there's plenty to do. Guess it depends on what you like to do on whether it will be a good fit for you.

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Yes, there's things to do. Where are you coming from? If you're coming from say Atlanta, then there's less things to do obviously, but there's plenty to do. Guess it depends on what you like to do on whether it will be a good fit for you.

Grew up in an Atlanta suburb and live now in south Texas in a college town. Definitely gonna be prepared for a culture shock of boredom, but I just want to know exactly what I’d be signing up for.

@Kasey said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Sounds fantastic lol. I’m thinking I’ll live in north Augusta or Aiken if I take the job, and may have to travel every weekend if it’s that bad.

@Kirbstomper said:

@Kasey said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Sounds fantastic lol. I’m thinking I’ll live in north Augusta or Aiken if I take the job, and may have to travel every weekend if it’s that bad.

It’s not that terrible. I’m teasing a little. There’s good bars and restaurants around now but when I was growing up it was boring

• BigDawg279BigDawg279 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

How old are you Kasey?

There is a small bar scene downtown but that's about it.

edited December 2018

@BigDawg279 said:
    How old are you Kasey?

I’m 38

And I agree but it’s better than I remember it being

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Grew up in an Atlanta suburb and live now in south Texas in a college town. Definitely gonna be prepared for a culture shock of boredom, but I just want to know exactly what I’d be signing up for.

It's definitely not a crazy college town. There's Augusta University with about 9,000 students, but for things to do here's a some things I recommend:

1. Downtown/Broad street area is the best for both bars and restaurants, there's some other decent places off of Walton Way a few miles from downtown. A couple of breweries have popped up in the last 3 or so years. I like the Savannah River Brewing Co. the best of the two.
    2. Go to the Masters, might as well even if you don't like golf, these are the hardest tickets in all of sports to get. You can see what an unlimited budget can do for your landscaping. You can usually find people that end up not being able to go getting rid of their tickets, or can find people outside the course giving their tickets away when they leave early.
    3. Not much to-do with high level sports being played here, there's minor league baseball team (Augusta Greenjackets) that just built a nice stadium on the river in North Augusta. They do thirsty Thursdays if you want to go on the day most folks go.
    4. If you like outdoors, there's the river and lake to go out and enjoy. Plenty of golf, disc golf, etc around town too. Several adult sports leagues if you want to play softball, flag football, corn-hole, kickball, volleyball, etc.
    5. There's several venues you can check shows out at; Imperial Theatre, Miller Theater, Bell Auditorium, James Brown Arena, Lady Antebellum Pavilion/Evans Towne Center Park.
    6. There's a few museums (art and history) if you're into that, as well as historic tours around town. The tour on the canal boat was pretty good. Gives the history of Augusta, mainly during the Civil War, while going down the Augusta Canal.

Guess I should've asked what you liked to do, as that could help determine what I put on the list. But the above is the basics. Also, if you're not digging Augusta, Atlanta is 2 hours away, Columbia is a little over an hour, Savannah is 2 hours away, the beach (depending on which one) is 2-3 hours away.

@Kirbstomper said:

@Kasey said:

@Kirbstomper said:

I work in Aiken, there's not as much to do here. It's about 20-30 minutes from Augusta. But if you are in Aiken, then go to what they call "The Alley." It's basically a row of restaurants and bars in downtown Aiken. I've only been working here about a month, so I still have plenty to learn on what there's to do around here. They're known for their equestrian, they have a few big horse races this year, and polo going on as well.

R> @Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Kasey said:

@Kirbstomper said:

I work in Aiken, there's not as much to do here. It's about 20-30 minutes from Augusta. But if you are in Aiken, then go to what they call "The Alley." It's basically a row of restaurants and bars in downtown Aiken. I've only been working here about a month, so I still have plenty to learn on what there's to do around here. They're known for their equestrian, they have a few big horse races this year, and polo going on as well.

Thanks for the tips, I would be working in Aiken as well. I visited this weekend for a day or so and think Aiken seems like a pretty place to live. Just being 27 I want to have a social life too.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper @Teddy
    The good thing about Aiken is Columbia is 30-45 mins away and Augusta is semi close at 30 mins or so. The bad thing is that , it is Aiken and it’s in Lameflop territory. Suppose you could look into Lexington, Sc. I have some friends that live there and like it. Downtown Aug has been trying to have a movement to bring more restaurants and bars . It’s decent but North aug PD will bust that a.s.s if you think about speeding or a bit intoxicated. I grew up in Evans,Ga. Kasey and I went to same schools albeit a few yes apart.

@Kasey said:

@BigDawg279 said:
    How old are you Kasey?

I’m 38

And I agree but it’s better than I remember it being

1000%. I’m 36. We had a different term for Aug growing up there. Not much to do for a young man but great place to raise a family. I’m a military brat which took me there, but when I left for college, I made up my mind that I wasn’t coming back to live.

Great place to buy real estate right now, FWIW.

edited December 2018

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    if you decide to party in savannah, hit me up

I was just there for work. Working with Memorial Health.