Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My wish was for The Hawks to take Jaren Jackson II ...I'm afraid they should have....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited December 2018 in Basketball

His team The Grizzlies are allowing the 3rd fewest points in The NBA at 104.2, The Hawks are dead last at 119. Jackson is easily the best rookie defender, a good rebounder and a very efficient scorer to boot, everything I thought he might become, and he was the youngest player in the entire draft, so much room to grow yet.
Young has a world of offensive potential, but he's a big time chucker who doesn't defend well.
I still believe it could work out, but it's already getting old watching Trae chuck it from 35 ft with 15 seconds left on the clock.

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They're pretty much actively trying to lose so I wouldn't be surprised if they encourage Young to shoot whenever and wherever he wants. A good defender would not be seen by the casual fans they want to hang around while they **** as exciting to watch. If anything they should have just taken Doncic but I guess they were afraid of ruining him on this **** team.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    They're pretty much actively trying to lose so I wouldn't be surprised if they encourage Young to shoot whenever and wherever he wants. A good defender would not be seen by the casual fans they want to hang around while they **** as exciting to watch. If anything they should have just taken Doncic but I guess they were afraid of ruining him on this **** team.

I doubt a coach would deliberately instill such a bad habit in such a young and inexperienced player who is probably the team's most valuable asset. There are more subtle and less destructive ways to engineer a loss. Play him fewer minutes, put in a marginal reserve.

@scooterdawg said:

I think it was just a straightforward judgement that Young and Dallas's 2019 1st rd pick had more potential value than just Doncic. It could still work out, who knows maybe to gem of the lot will be whoever we land with that Dallas pick.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t follow the Hawks much any more ...I’ve soured on pro hoops. College only for me these days.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully. I think they just wanted an older player who wouldn't be ruined by losing like Doncic could have. And people like shooters. Hell, I'd love to see Trae become an All Star.

@scooterdawg said:
    Hopefully. I think they just wanted an older player who wouldn't be ruined by losing like Doncic could have. And people like shooters. Hell, I'd love to see Trae become an All Star.

I still have hopes, Trae is an excellent passer and ball handler, he can also drive to the basket. Right now he's dead last in adjusted fg percentage and 127th out of the 130 players ESPN list in those categories, that is awful.

@donm said:
    I don’t follow the Hawks much any more ...I’ve soured on pro hoops. College only for me these days.

Unfortunately college basketball hasn't been very kind to us either.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Bet they wish they had kept Luka Doncic now

@Kasey said:

It's still early, Luca has had off nights too.
    Young has to become a more efficient scorer. He doesn't have a average 30 ppg, or even 22 ppg, but he can't be a black hole where the offense goes to disappear and be a net plus. Right now he is at the bottom of the league in scoring efficiency, that has to improve. The good news is he's either 19 or 20 years old and he has talent.

Then there is the question of what kind of return we get on Dallas's 2019 1st rd pick.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Young has to become a more efficient scorer. He doesn't have a average 30 ppg, or even 22 ppg, but he can't be a black hole where the offense goes to disappear and be a net plus. Right now he is at the bottom of the league in scoring efficiency, that has to improve. The good news is he's either 19 or 20 years old and he has talent.

Then there is the question of what kind of return we get on Dallas's 2019 1st rd pick.

Is it one of those protected picks?

edited December 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Is it one of those protected picks?

It's top 5 protected, Dallas is decent so we should be ok, I just hope they're not too good and the pick drops out of the lottery. Of course 6th would be ideal.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Before the draft I was of the opinion that the Hawks should draft the 6'11 Jack of all trades big man Jaren Jackon to pair with Collins to give the Joel Embids and Greek Freaks of the world something serious to think about when matching up with the Hawks length and bounce. My theory was to go ahead and marry up Collins with Jackson, bring in a journeyman point guard to provide some leadership and direction but not get off schedule with the tank. U r gonna b horrible for a couple of more years anyway so u can figure out your future backcourt later. News flash Hawks: Bigger is still better in the NBA. An era is coming soon where you'll have 10 men on the court, all 6'7 or taller and able to shoot 3's, initiate pick and role action, finish in transition, and defend multiple positions. So in that vein passing on Jackson was a miss by the Hawks IMO. And he (Jackson) Collins and Prince would've been a great place to start building this ideal modern NBA team. Find a couple 6'6 wings/guards with enough playmaking pizazz and 3 point shooting ability and also able to defend multiple positions and NO ONE WOULD WANT to play these Hawks.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no doubt who the hawks pick should have been. The Luka trade will haunt the hawks for decades

@MeR3htid said:
    Before the draft I was of the opinion that the Hawks should draft the 6'11 Jack of all trades big man Jaren Jackon to pair with Collins to give the Joel Embids and Greek Freaks of the world something serious to think about when matching up with the Hawks length and bounce. My theory was to go ahead and marry up Collins with Jackson, bring in a journeyman point guard to provide some leadership and direction but not get off schedule with the tank. U r gonna b horrible for a couple of more years anyway so u can figure out your future backcourt later. News flash Hawks: Bigger is still better in the NBA. An era is coming soon where you'll have 10 men on the court, all 6'7 or taller and able to shoot 3's, initiate pick and role action, finish in transition, and defend multiple positions. So in that vein passing on Jackson was a miss by the Hawks IMO. And he (Jackson) Collins and Prince would've been a great place to start building this ideal modern NBA team. Find a couple 6'6 wings/guards with enough playmaking pizazz and 3 point shooting ability and also able to defend multiple positions and NO ONE WOULD WANT to play these Hawks.

That was my thinking as well, I might pull up the thread I started on it prior to the draft. Right now that looks like it would have been a smart choice. We probably could have landed him and a 1st or 2nd rd pick for our #3 pick. Jackson has every potential you'd want in a modern big, The irony is he's shooting 3s a lot better than Trae. He is going to be a perennial all defensive team player, he is a freaking prototype modern defender, he can guard any position from any place on the court or in transition.

edited December 2018

Check this out.
    Jaren Jackson was 1 of 4 rookies in history with at least 250 pts, 40 rebounds and 20 blocks 20 games into the season, the other 3, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing and Bill Walton. His offensive rating is higher than either Doncic's or Marvin Bagley's and his defensive rating is a huge 10 pts higher than #1 draft pick center Deandre Ayton's. This could be the one we'll look back on and kick ourselves over. Plus, he is among the youngest players in this draft.

Yeah the Hawks blew 1 of the deepest drafts in recent memory IMO because our front office was enamored with a sub 6 ft guard. How many of those types have been a top 3 option on a NBA Title winning team and NO Bob Cousey dont count. Im really curious as to how many.

By the way that is pretty good company. David Robinson, Patrick Ewing and Bill Walton. OMG what have we done?

edited December 2018

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah the Hawks blew 1 of the deepest drafts in recent memory IMO because our front office was enamored with a sub 6 ft guard. How many of those types have been a top 3 option on a NBA Title winning team and NO Bob Cousey dont count. Im really curious as to how many.

Young measured at 6'2'' by The NBA doctors during his evaluation. His height isn't a problem. His wild shooting and slight built are big concerns at this time though. He is inefficient on offense and just not very effective on defense. He actually could be tiring already, he has to get stronger to hold up in this league. IF he puts on 20lb and gains more discipline he does have special abilities.

Oh hes 6'2, OK well he must have alligator arms then cause he appears shorter than that. Anyway stil think Jackson or Doncic would have been the better pick.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Hawks went all offense on the draft on purpose this year. I bet next season we'll get a high draft pick again and go all out defense.