Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The 2020 QB draft class just got a little more interesting

judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Justin Herbert, pegged by many as the #1 QB prospect in this draft, announced today he will return to school for his senior year.

This means there will potentially be 3 top QBs in next years draft (Tua, Fromm, Herbert). Maybe that’ll influence jake to stay for his senior year

Comments

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even if Fromm is projected as a top 5 pick next year and is coming off a National Championship he'll still come back for his Sr. Year cause he's a good ole Georgia boy and I think he enjoys the celebrity status that he enjoys in Athens and theres no injury concerns because his name is Jake, not Tua. Hes the best QB in the SEC IMO and his durability is what gives him the edge over Tua.

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

I still don't get the "Jake Fromm top draft prospect" thing. Fromm is average-above average physically in terms of arm strength and height and he has never either dominated a game - even against pedestrian foes - or put UGA on his back and carried them. To put it another way, Fromm plays for a top 5 program. He is not the reason UGA is a top 5 program.

When responding, please none of these two canards.

1. His leadership/intelligence/intangibles/"he's a winner!"/"The next Tom Brady!" Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. His success hasn't changed the way that NFL teams evaluate QBs because none of the other "next Tom Brady" QBs have done squat in the NFL, just like none of the guys who were supposed to be the next Joe Montana or Drew Brees have. Some guys are just unique. Another thing: plenty of QBs have those same "intangibles/winning traits" AND the physical ability and/or stats to go with it.
    2. You aren't a real UGA fan! Well a "real UGA fan" would realize that Eric Zeier, David Greene, Aaron Murray, Matt Stafford, D.J. Shockley and even Quincy Carter would have benefited mightily from the talent and coaching that UGA has had the past 2 seasons that Fromm has had at his disposal. Murray is the #1 all time SEC passer and #2 isn't close. Greene is #3 and Zeier is #6. They are - collectively and individually - ahead of guys like the Manning brothers, the Florida QBs and even the Kentucky spread guys. Those guys just didn't have a team around them to do their abilities justice.

You want some NFL team to invest a #1 draft pick in a guy who couldn't get better numbers to Riley Ridley, Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta and Terry Godwin. As if it is easier to get the ball to guys like that in the NFL or something.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

Well, I pretty much disagree with everybody here. Rewatch the SECCG and you will see the NFL QB--#11 in Red & Black. It is possible Fromm was extremely lucky, but I think he is just improving, as one might expect. So, I think he goes in the first round next year and the Dawg fans here are dreaming about him staying--he'd be crazy to turn the NFL down.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:
    Justin Herbert, pegged by many as the #1 QB prospect in this draft, announced today he will return to school for his senior year.

This means there will potentially be 3 top QBs in next years draft (Tua, Fromm, Herbert). Maybe that’ll influence jake to stay for his senior year

Throw is potentially Eason as well (if he wins the job and has a big year).

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good point, but I don't think Fromm is worried about what any other QB is going to do. He came to UGA with Eason and wasn't scared of that in the slightest. If he's picked high enough he will probably go and rightly so.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From is the coach on the field. He goes through his first, second, and third reads and is extremely accurate. Arm strenth is adequate but he’s definitely no Mahommes. I think he can be a mid to late first rounder in a qb starved nfl.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We know tech looked awful last night rattler.. doesn't mean you have to come in here and crap on fromm

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    Well, I pretty much disagree with everybody here. Rewatch the SECCG and you will see the NFL QB--#11 in Red & Black. It is possible Fromm was extremely lucky, but I think he is just improving, as one might expect. So, I think he goes in the first round next year and the Dawg fans here are dreaming about him staying--he'd be crazy to turn the NFL down.

Jake's family seems to be doing fine financially. I don't think staying would be ****, but I wouldn't blame him for taking the money either.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMHO, I think he play 4 years and is picked mid-late first round.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:
    I still don't get the "Jake Fromm top draft prospect" thing. Fromm is average-above average physically in terms of arm strength and height and he has never either dominated a game - even against pedestrian foes - or put UGA on his back and carried them. To put it another way, Fromm plays for a top 5 program. He is not the reason UGA is a top 5 program.

1. His leadership/intelligence/intangibles/"he's a winner!"/"The next Tom Brady!" Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. His success hasn't changed the way that NFL teams evaluate QBs because none of the other "next Tom Brady" QBs have done squat in the NFL, just like none of the guys who were supposed to be the next Joe Montana or Drew Brees have. Some guys are just unique. Another thing: plenty of QBs have those same "intangibles/winning traits" AND the physical ability and/or stats to go with it.
    2. You aren't a real UGA fan! Well a "real UGA fan" would realize that Eric Zeier, David Greene, Aaron Murray, Matt Stafford, D.J. Shockley and even Quincy Carter would have benefited mightily from the talent and coaching that UGA has had the past 2 seasons that Fromm has had at his disposal. Murray is the #1 all time SEC passer and #2 isn't close. Greene is #3 and Zeier is #6. They are - collectively and individually - ahead of guys like the Manning brothers, the Florida QBs and even the Kentucky spread guys. Those guys just didn't have a team around them to do their abilities justice.

You want some NFL team to invest a #1 draft pick in a guy who couldn't get better numbers to Riley Ridley, Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta and Terry Godwin. As if it is easier to get the ball to guys like that in the NFL or something.

Why are you still on this board? Do you not have family to spend time with at Christmas so you just go and comment on other teams boards? And it’s not just uga fans saying that, it’s nfl scouts. Please go back to the fsu board and talk about how excited y’all are to potentially make a bowl game next year

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25548365/meet-2019-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-everything-need-know
    The quarterback class for the 2019 NFL draft became clearer Wednesday as Oregon's Justin Herbert, who was ranked the No. 1 QB by ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., announced that he is returning to school for another year. Herbert will join a loaded 2020 class with the likes of Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, Georgia's Jake Fromm and others.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm does his job playing in a balanced offense very well. The guy is smart, if he plays lights out and the dawgs win the natty then yes he may go pro but if not I look for him to be back for his sr year. He is definitely a competitor and being so close to winning it all has to add fuel to his fire. On another note, no one knows if a great college qb will transition into a good pro.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm jumping in late here, but it's funny what some people consider a "prototype NFL" QB. Peyton Manning did not have a strong arm, or all the measureables everyone is obsessed with these days, but the guy had the IT factor, the intelligence to throw receivers open and hit spots before the route was complete. That is Fromm...he doesn't have the arm some guys have, or the athleticism some guys have, but he can absolutely dissect a defense. Have many of you seen a QB that is a true freshman with more intelligence and moxy than Fromm last year? I haven't seen one in a very long time.

The other question: Yes I think Fromm stays regardless of who comes out or what UGA wins next year...he's a guy that is about preparation, and the more he can learn and prepare before making the leap, the better off he'll be. He'll be in red and black in 2020, that's my 2 cents.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawginSC said:

@a_rattler said:

A couple of things.

1. The physical side. Jake Fromm was a 5-star prospect... not a 3-star guy like a david greene. Everyone seems to want to call him physically pedestrian because he doesn't have Stafford's arm or Cam Newton's athleticism. But here's the thing... while he's not Cam Newton athletic... he is actually very athletic. More than guys considered to be the athletic type like a Teddy Bridgewater. While he doesn't have Stafford's rocket arm... he's got NFL level arm strength.

David Morris, a well known QB "guru" who works with many NFL guys said this about Fromm: “I would say he has plenty of arm,” Morris said. “He actually has a strong arm. He doesn’t have the Josh Allen arm where he can throw it 70 yards, but you don’t need to do that. And Josh Allen struggles with accuracy. Josh would like to have the accuracy Jake’s got. Jake has anticipation, touch, arm strength and accuracy.

2. Jake's numbers are astoundingly good. YOur'e confusing volume with production. He's 9th in the nation in completion percentage, ahead of Tua and Will Grier. He's 6th in yards per pass attempt, ahead of guys like Ian Book and Dwayne Haskins. He's 3rd in QB rating, behind only Kyler Murray and Tua. These are elite passing numbers... from a QB who doesn't throw the ball 40 times a game. Volume is not an indicator of ability.

The fact of the matter is that when you look at the Rose Bowl last year... one QB was looking to the sidelines for audible calls, completed 66% of his passes for 2 TD and 1 INT and had a 147 passer rating. The other called his own audibles, completed 69% of his passes for 2 TD and 0 INT and had a 152 rating. The former was a senior Heisman winning QB who went #1 in the draft. The second was true Freshman Jake Fromm.

I wish I could have VU'd this post a million times. Spot on, excellent analysis of what makes Fromm far better than his critics think.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you've ever played a sport you know that the best "athletes" don't always make the best players. It's easy to get caught up in the big arm or the running ability of a QB and overlook the other aspects. Obviously, you'd hope your best player was also your best athlete but it doesn't always work out that way.

Fromm has found a way to be one of the best QBs in college football even without the ability to out athlete everyone he plays. I would wager that translates better to the NFL than the guy who relies on being the best athlete on the field.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GrayDawg said:
    If you've ever played a sport you know that the best "athletes" don't always make the best players. It's easy to get caught up in the big arm or the running ability of a QB and overlook the other aspects. Obviously, you'd hope your best player was also your best athlete but it doesn't always work out that way.

Fromm has found a way to be one of the best QBs in college football even without the ability to out athlete everyone he plays. I would wager that translates better to the NFL than the guy who relies on being the best athlete on the field.

I'm going to reiterate @DawginSC 's post:

Jake Fromm's athleticism has been grossly underrated. He is extremely athletic.