Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Did Dallas just scam The Hawks in their trade for Porzingis ?..

Comments

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RedBlackDawg said:
    Wait, what? Atlanta has a NBA basketball team???

Get with it man... the “dream”...

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well teams tank in order to land AT LEAST a couple of cornerstones to build around for the future. I think the Hawks have nailed those 2 in Collins and Young and theres already a decent young support corps in place. Prior to the Sacramento loss the other night the Hawks had gone 10-10 in the previous 20 games and were, and are, learning how to win and gaining confidence as they go. This team should try to win as many games as they can and continue to build the confidence of their 2 cornerstones and in a year or 2 with shrewd drafing, player development and maybe a key FA addition this team can absolutely soar back into the upper stratospheres of the Eastern Conference. Lets Go Hawks!!! Lets go Hawks!!! Lets go Hawks!!!!.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:
    They sent a very good young PG and a rebounding beast of a center to The Knicks for Porzingis. Porzingis has an ACL injury that should not affect him long term, but might limit him much of this season. So let's assume they tank, keep their top 6 protected draft pick which would otherwise go to The Hawks. That would leave them with a healthy Porzingis, Doncic, a top 6 rookie and a pretty good support roster next season, which would likely stick Atlanta with a mid to late 1st rd player in next year's draft instead of the lottery pick this season.

We just got stiffed in my opinion.

Each year there is less protection. After 3 years I believe it is unprotected. They are betting that they will be better in a few years (no guarantee in the west though)

Dallas is betting they'll get better, not worse, which would make the pick Atlanta eventually gets less valuable, I think they are correct. This year would be our best shot at a top 10 pick.

One player in the top 5 of this draft and Dallas will be a force next year. That pick isn't going to be any better than 13 after the 2019 draft

It's legal thievery.

Also smart. If Porzingis bounces back, Doncic gets better, and they get a stud in this draft...they're set the next ten plus years.

how does this impact our protected draft pick ?

Negatively

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    They sent a very good young PG and a rebounding beast of a center to The Knicks for Porzingis. Porzingis has an ACL injury that should not affect him long term, but might limit him much of this season. So let's assume they tank, keep their top 6 protected draft pick which would otherwise go to The Hawks. That would leave them with a healthy Porzingis, Doncic, a top 6 rookie and a pretty good support roster next season, which would likely stick Atlanta with a mid to late 1st rd player in next year's draft instead of the lottery pick this season.

We just got stiffed in my opinion.

Since they have to get to 5th to be protected... that would mean they have to lose 7 less games than the Hawks the rest of the way. (More than 7 with the 4 teams behind the Hawks) That doesn't seem particularly likely. I think the only way it goes bad for the hawks is if they hit on the ping pong balls.

Why the obsession about what the Mavs r doing? Whats done is done and can't b undone. We as Hawks fans should b ecstatic at the direction this team is headed. No long drawn out tank here.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@bmauldin said:

@PTDawg said:

@GeorgiaGirl said:
    Folks think they're going to try really hard to tank. IMO, they're still likely to win too many for it to be a major risk, unless they try blatantly.

I agree with this. They would have to be really bad the rest of the way. Like 6-24 or 5-25 bad. Unless they're sitting Doncic for entire weeks at a time I don't see them losing that much if for no other reason than there are several other teams out there trying to do a similar thing. This may yet work out just right for the Hawks. Will all come down to the bounce of the ping pong balls.

And karma...

Karma Miranda ? the actress who wore big fruit hats ?

@MeR3htid said:
    Why the obsession about what the Mavs r doing? Whats done is done and can't b undone. We as Hawks fans should b ecstatic at the direction this team is headed. No long drawn out tank here.

It's not an obsession when it involves The Hawks and news like this just broke.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

It affects our draft pick we receive from them

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Either positively or negatively. Which is yet ti be seen.

edited February 2019

@Bankwalker said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Either positively or negatively. Which is yet ti be seen.

True.
    They will have to lose big to match the 5th worst winning percentage of 32% as of today. Which belongs to none other than The Hawks. Ideally they'll finish with around the 8th worst record, which would give them long odds of a top 5 draw.

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Yep.

J. Collins, Trae Young and the rest of this young, developing core r already (As of late) developing an appetite for winning that should prove to b contagious as they add 2 more 1st rounders in next yrs draft. Nail both of those and your young core is set to help aid Collins and Young as they drive the Hawks quest to return to the Eastern Conference elite.

@MeR3htid said:
    J. Collins, Trae Young and the rest of this young, developing core r already (As of late) developing an appetite for winning that should prove to b contagious as they add 2 more 1st rounders in next yrs draft. Nail both of those and your young core is set to help aid Collins and Young as they drive the Hawks quest to return to the Eastern Conference elite.

If you compare Young and Collins to players who went on to become stars, both are on the high end production wise. Few 20 or 21 year olds have produced more than Young and Collins. Collins really doesn't have a statistical weakness, Young needs to be more efficient on 3 point shots and turn the ball over at a lower rate.

Man at the rate those 2 r improving and given their ages and the pieces that r already being fitted around them, Im telling u right now that the Hawks r gonna b knocking on the door of the East elite within the next 2 to three years if Schlenk plays his cards right. I mean u can absolutely build a monster around Collins and Young.

I guess Atlanta Hawk basketb not really a thing huh?

@MeR3htid said:
    I guess Atlanta Hawk basketb not really a thing huh?

It is becoming a thing.
    The organization is a couple of good moves away from putting together a sustainable winner.

Yeah I was skeptical myself at 1st about the Young pick and even though Luca Doncic is AMAZING already, this Collins and Young battery is gonna lead this franchise back to relevancy sooner rather than later. People say Atlanta is not a popular FA destination and thats true, but what is also true is .that Collins and Young can make it one. I can c the Hawks in a couple of years signing a guy like Bradley Beal to create Atlantas version of a big 3. Collins, Beal and Young gives u a chance in the Eastern Conference. It wont b enough to get u over the top but it would put u 1 key piece away. Probably a true 7'0 rim protector that can also stretch the floor to b the perfect compliment to Collins up front.

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah I was skeptical myself at 1st about the Young pick and even though Luca Doncic is AMAZING already, this Collins and Young battery is gonna lead this franchise back to relevancy sooner rather than later. People say Atlanta is not a popular FA destination and thats true, but what is also true is .that Collins and Young can make it one. I can c the Hawks in a couple of years signing a guy like Bradley Beal to create Atlantas version of a big 3. Collins, Beal and Young gives u a chance in the Eastern Conference. It wont b enough to get u over the top but it would put u 1 key piece away. Probably a true 7'0 rim protector that can also stretch the floor to b the perfect compliment to Collins up front.

Over the past 10 games Young has averaged 8.5 assist, 4 rebounds and 22.4 pts on .475% shooting. Not many rookie PGs have ever put up stats like that, and fewer have been 20 years old with just 1 year of college ball.

Yeah man the kid is on the fast track to Superstardom. Both he and Collins r for that matter.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks still currently have the 5th worst record with 24 wins after playing 71 games. Memphis and Dallas are next at 28 wins after 69 games. Could get close near the end.