Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is Giannis the best big athlete in NBA history ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If there's been a 6' 11'' 245lb player with a 7' 3'' wingspan who moved like this guy and had guard instincts like he does, I can't place him.
It's like watching a new breed of human being at times. The only thing left is to develop a shot from 3 pt range, if he gets that weapon, he might well be the best player to ever play the game at any size of position.
Lebron combines power to great athleticism and instincts like no other, but he doesn't have Giannis's otherworldly nimbleness.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we're talking pure athleticism, I feel like Blake Griffin needs to be up there. Or rather, the 2011 version of Blake Griffin. He's expanded his game a lot in recent years as his athleticism starts to wane, he just doesn't get a ton of recognition anymore because Detroit is not a good team. Now in terms of basketball ability plus physical traits, Giannis is some kind of freak.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@CTDawg said:
    If we're talking pure athleticism, I feel like Blake Griffin needs to be up there. Or rather, the 2011 version of Blake Griffin. He's expanded his game a lot in recent years as his athleticism starts to wane, he just doesn't get a ton of recognition anymore because Detroit is not a good team. Now in terms of basketball ability plus physical traits, Giannis is some kind of freak.

Griffin would be in the conversation of best run fast, jump high big athletes. Ben Simmons is going to creep into the conversation of most versatile and skilled bigs, if he isn't there already. I expect Giannis vs Simmons will be debated in the coming years.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely a freak but forget about Nique

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

greek freak is a unicorn and you are most likely right

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A guy who probably is the best athlete LeBron James (6'9 245-275), Magic Johnson, Zion Williamson soon enough, and a guy who died Len Bias.

@orlando said:

Dom was off the charts explosive, but he wasn't nearly as skilled and nimble as Giannis.

@Thelordjohnson said:
    A guy who probably is the best athlete LeBron James (6'9 245-275), Magic Johnson, Zion Williamson soon enough, and a guy who died Len Bias.

Magic couldn't jump over a puppy, but he had remarkable basketball savvy.

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Had a 30" vert. I just dont think that was his game jumping everywhere.

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I never saw either Bird or Johnson jump over a few inches high.

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Bird was 28 inches. Magic 30 inches. Magic was better with assists, Bird already taller than most didnt need to jump to shoot. Just got by on their given talents.

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Shawn Kemp is in the conversation somewhere. I’d also say Kevin Garnett.

I’m terms of footwork, nimbleness and touch I’d go with Olajuwon.

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:

Dom was off the charts explosive, but he wasn't nearly as skilled and nimble as Giannis.

True but I had to do it

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Bird was 28 inches. Magic 30 inches. Magic was better with assists, Bird already taller than most didnt need to jump to shoot. Just got by on their given talents.

Sorry, I don't believe either of them could jump that high.
    I don't doubt somebody has it listed, but both were famously Earth bound.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say young Shaq would be the most athletic big I’ve ever seen.

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@orlando said:

True but I had to do it

Dom was a great athlete for sure, he might have been the most explosive leaper of any big in history.

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I get it but thats not the game they played. 28 inch vert is horrible in todays terms where guys are 40+ (Barnes has a 38 standing vert) but Johnson had speed, quickness, and flexibility. Best attributes for a athlete.

edited February 2019

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I get it but thats not the game they played. 28 inch vert is horrible in todays terms where guys are 40+ (Barnes has a 38 standing vert) but Johnson had speed, quickness, and flexibility. Best attributes for a athlete.

Johnson had beyond great instincts, vision, creativity and hand eye coordination, Bird did as well, along with being strong and tough as nails, but jumping...that I'm not so sure about.

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Being 6’9 Magic was the first big point guard that I remember and the name definitely fits

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Larry Bird literally had no weaknesses on the basketball court unless u penalize him for not being a great athlete which I dont. The only knock I could find on Birds game was his less than stellar physical conditioning. It didnt catch up with him until he reached his late 20s and he was already a 3 time champion and a back to back to back league MVP already. Thats how good this man was at basketball for the uniformed. Poor offseason conditioning habits and annual playoff runs that went into June caused his body to break down and that, and Magic Johnsons Lakers were and are the only think that could stop his quest to rule this league in a manner that would have him in the G.O.A.T. debate with Michael, LeBron and Kareem IMHO.

edited February 2019

@orlando said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Being 6’9 Magic was the first big point guard that I remember and the name definitely fits

Oscar Robertson played like a PG at 6' 5'', but Magic was far more creative than Big O and 4 inches taller.