Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tom crean

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't like Crean whining about being stuck with players from Fox's program. I don't believe for a minute having those players on roster has cost the team games.

Crean's offense is very simple, I think he's scapegoating.

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is a REALLY good coach.

The team is full of a lot of supporting players, minus Claxton.

the team already looks better/more fluid than last year.

Probably the same people calling for Kirby’s job after year 1.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I with you on that. Somewhat. You’ve got to recruit the best players. But UGA can’t fill a roster with McD All Americans like basketball schools. Mid majors seem to do it by a formula with guys that play 3 or 4 years and develop.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean isn't whining, he's merely pointing out the fact that this team isn't mentally tough and regrets not making cuts when he had the opportunity. Look we knew this guy was a talker when we hired him, so it should be no surprise when he says things that fall outside the boundary of typical coach speak.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like it. I’m glad these kids are getting a reality check... I listened to the groans every time our team turned it over yesterday.

Our fans were about to start booing... our team... and I don’t blame them.

We were up by 10 only to take horrible shots and turn the ball over 4-5 consecutive possessions.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Edwards

Crump/Hightower

Claxton

Hammonds

Ngumezi/2019 signee

#1 player in the country + experienced players + Slim Reaper/ShaunDon = top 15 team. Easily.

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they could have cut their turnovers in half, there are quite a few games they could have won. There are stretches where they are just god awful.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s spot on with his comments, which will hopefully motivate a few players to raise themselves up. I am sure he has asked himself more than once, “What have I gotten myself in to here?” I know Tennesse is currently ranked #1 in the country, but for goodness sake think about how hard it is to lose by 46 points when the game is only 40 minutes long. They could have kept it within 46 by running out the 30 second shot clock every possession and then just playing sound defense.

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Less than an hour away from what could be a seminal moment in Crean's career at UGA.

• RobertKBurnhamRobertKBurnham Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Tom Crean's comments are very troubling to me. Did Kirby whine about the small OL that he inherited from Mark Richt ? No, he went out and recruited the massive monsters we have now and yes, he ran some players off , and still does, but he doesn't go out and publicize it . I loved the energy and excitement that Tom Crean brought when he was first hired and have been a big supporter of his until this unfortunate outburst. You never throw your players under the bus , ever. If we don't get Ant Man, expect more people to turn on Crean .

• rrich45rrich45 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

Think he just silenced a lot of the hating welcome Mr Edwards

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

do y’all still hate Crean?

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

agree edwards buys time....also its uga.... so....we are footbal.... he has time regardless....i disagree with the portion of your post dealing with strategy...its a game... so any strategy can be used at any time to counter....i agee some coaches tend to lean on one strategy more than another...lots of teams winning with strategys used by fox every week...look at virgina using high low or 1, 5 and hanging with duke and coach k with much less talent. High low is as old a strategy as peach baskets. crean leans toward a player lead player free type strategy. This leans heavily on being more talented. The real test will be can he recruit well enough for his strategy to work. is it sustainable. if uga is so bad that ant man does not make the jump in 1yr.... that will be used in recruiting against crean ...and would be huge obstacle...

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whenever Bama won, which was often, Bear Bryant gave his assistant coaches and players all the credit. When they had a rare loss, he took total responsibility. That was in interviews to the press and public. Don’t know what he told the team privately after a loss, but I will guess it wasn’t pleasant.

There’s a story about him appearing to console a player after an ill-timed personal foul. He tells the player that all the people in the stands and on tv think I’m consoling you, but son, if you ever make that **** mistake again...

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby has done the same thing...called out players toughness several times

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang Kasey, I srsly thought there was a new NCAAF game comin out. That’s just wrong.