Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

St. Patrick's Day is upon us.

I'm doing the traditional corned beef and cabbage. Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage. In the crockpot, the corned beef, carrots, onions and potatoes along with the seasoning will go in and covered with water and some beer. Slow cooked for about 4 to 5 hours. Peel outer leafs of cabbage, cut stem and quarter the head. Pull apart and place in crockpot with for around 30-40 minutes of the final hour of cooking.

Please share if you are doing this or anything different including deserts and beverages.

Happy St. Patty's Day!! 🍀🍀

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

I do similar (although not this year as the wife had it today while visiting family) but I use Flat cut and cook for 2 hours on high then 7 hours on low. I also do not put the cabbage in the crockpot but cook it separately to give more space for the potatoes (red peeled) and carrots.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A little Jameson Black Barrel....

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FWIW - I use a crockpot and/or Air fryer for 80%+ of my cooking. Air fried chicken is so much better than grilled in terms of moisture and most vegetables, fries etc. are way better than boiled or oven roasted.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Me and the lady friend will be out celebrating tomorrow drinking green beer and sleeping in on Monday since we are both off of work

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, since the DN site has (at least temporarily) disabled @tfk_fanboy's whiskey thread, I thought I would post this article, even if it's a little late for St. Patrick's Day.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg Nation never rests. Can you drink on the job? If so, can I have an application? 😁

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

I'm reminded of an episode of Family Guy where Peter took his son to a Irish heritage Museum. There was a diorama of traditional Irish life where a husband is standing at a bar, his wife walks up yelling at him, he drains his mug of beer, then hits his wife, knocking her backwards, she comes back and he hits her again. In another diorama a woman is kneeling and praying, then her legs fly up and a baby shoots out. If that ain't Irish I'll kiss your blarney arse.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you @AnotherDawg. I used to raise hell in my younger days as an Irish descendant, just a little too beat up and I'll turn 60 on Tuesday. Stay home with the bride and see if Kisner can pull something off at the Players!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cannot quote the OP, so @ghostofuga1 , how traditional is your recipe - the veggies? I am used to cabbage and potatoes but not carrots nor onions. I could see carrots (color of beef, flavor fairly subtle), but onions was the big surprise. Response? FYI I like the red skin potatoes if handy.

• Options
    edited March 2019

The Irish can be so sensitive. Why flag my historically valid post ? Come on, Saint Patty's Day is about a Catholic Saint and it's celebrated by getting piss drunk, lighten up.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod
    edited March 2019

@FirePlugDawg I am not sure if it's truly traditional, but I got this recipe off the interweb from a lady that posted it and stated that it was her Irish grandmother's recipe. It's pretty much the same recipe I've always used for my Beef Roast minus the water, beer and cabbage. I always use red or new potatoes in that too.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's also National Corned Beef And Cabbage Day.

to corn something is simply to preserve it in a salty brine (the term corn refers to the coarse grains of salt used for curing).

Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product. In the traditional Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes, salt pork or bacon joint was used instead of corned beef. Sometime in the mid-1800s when the Irish immigrated to America, they found that Jewish corned beef was very similar in texture to bacon joint (pork). It was then that corned beef was used as a replacement for the bacon when preparing corned beef and cabbage meals.  Soon after, Irish-Americans began having Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day.

• Options

I always thought corned beef and cabbage is a tradition The Irish brought to New Year's Day.

• Options
    CroatiadawgCroatiadawg Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

For $1000 - Patrick Trivia

What nationality is the man known as St. Patrick?

• Options

St. Patrick was British.

Croatian. If you're Croatian American you share that history with both Nick Saban and Bill Belichick.

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate