Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Comparing rookie seasons Trae to Chris Paul, Doncic to Larry Bird....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both are really close.

Comparative rookie seasons.

Bird's Effective FG% - .494 Doncic effective FG% - .497

Bird's PPG - 21.3 Doncic's PPG 21.3

Bird's rebounds per game - 10.4 Doncic's rebounds per game - 7.7

Bird's assists per game - 4.5 Doncic's assists per game - 5.9

Birds FT% - .836 Doncic's FT% - .711

Paul's effective FG% - .456 Trae's effective FG% .482

Paul's PPG - 16.1 Trae's PPG - 19.0

Paul's rebounds per game - 5.1 Trae's rebounds per game - 3.7

Paul's assists per game - 7.8 Trae's assists per game 8.1

Paul's FT% - .847 Trae's FT% .828

I'd say the comparisons are close in both cases.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Hawks could've had Paul too...still crazy they took Marvin Williams in that spot

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

You know with all of his shortcomings Marvin Williams has managed to carve out a long career to date. The guy has been very successful in the earnings department.

Marvin is in his 13th season, his career earnings on player contracts through this season, right at 108 million.

That's great if the Hawks picked him at 22, at 2 he needs to be a perennial all-star/or at least a starter

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks were all about amassing “long” players with that GM. Never forget old what’s his name.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, and the scouting reports were there at the time on Williams. People felt like his athleticism just wasn't there. They definitely needed a PG at that time and Paul of Derron Williams would have been excellent picks.

Here is The Draft Express opinion of Marvin Williams before the 2005 draft. ''Marvin Williams is going to be a promising forward in The NBA, most likely top 5 and possibly even the 1st pick taken. He was national freshman of the year at UNC. Chris Paul was 1st team AA at Wake though, both were highly regarded.

edited April 2019

The #2 pick in each of the past 10 drafts.

Marvin Bagley

Lonzo Ball

Brandon Ingram

D'Angelo Russell

Jabari Parker

Victor Oladipo

Michael Kidd Gilchrist

Derrick Williams

Evan Turner

Hashem Thabeat

A few who were passed over.

Steph Curry

James Harden

Paul George

Embiid

Giannis

It's like a stock you wish you'd bought, everybody has a story.

edited April 2019

True, not all #2 picks are bad, but many have left better players on the board, including some all time greats.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the contrary WC, I was confirming your point that there is a history of dubious #2 picks in the NBA.

I get it. He had promise. But I had seen it with Chris Paul (and Deron Williams) and Marvin didn't even start for that UNC team. The Hawks needed a PG and they passed on 2. One an all-timer and the other very good.

If you didn't like the pick at the time, ok. It's not like there was a consensus Williams was over-drafted though, that is revisionist history.

AnotherDawg, my wording was probably not very good, I wasn't suggesting you disagreed with my prior post.

TND. Most prospects, maybe every prospect has things evaluators don't like. Doncic might not be quick enough, Trae might be too small and frail to hold up night in night out and forget driving to the basket like he did at Oklahoma.

I vividly remember watching that draft. Me and my friend both thought it was silly. He is an Orlando Magic Tricks fan, so he was a little salty they drafted Fran Vazquez. They really didn't get much out of him

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cant compare todays stats to the 80s or 90s.game is way diff than back then.bad teams are getring 110 pts a game.plus Bird was a champ in yr 2 i believe the hawks or mavs aren't close to that.if you lije defense then the NBA is unwatchable atm

Eric. You may not have noticed but we're back in a very high scoring period in The NBA. It's actually very similar to the pre Bad Boys years where everybody was running. It's not exactly the same of course, the 3 is king now, but the results are close to apples to apples.

A quick check of The NBA in Bird's rookie season.

1980/1981 . Best defense opponents' PPG - Philly - 103.8

Worst defense Denver - 122.3

2018/2019 . Best defense opponents' PPG - Indiana - 104.3

Worst defense Atlanta - 119.2

Just 4 year ago the best defenses gave up low 90s, it's jumped by 10 pts in the blink of an eye. Those great Detroit defenses in the late 80s and early 90s changed the game for close to 30 years, it's a shame we're back to playground ball.