Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Hawks drew picks 8 and 10...we got hosed...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2019 in Basketball

I'm not saying it was rigged, I don't think that at all. We did lose a total of 6 spots though. We lost 3 from our finsh of 5th and 3 from the Dallas pick...damnit. So we won't get any of the players we hoped to have a shot at with our first pick. Who knows though, we might get lucky and find a gem at 8 or 10.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch. The Knicks had the best odds of landing the top spot, they drew the 3rd pick.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could have been worse for the Hawks. At least they got the pick from Dallas. As we saw from the other teams that moved up, Dallas landing somewhere 1-4 easily could have happened. It will depend on which teams fall in love with which players but a pairing of Hayes along with someone like Reddish or Clarke is still possible at 8 and 10.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't touch Reddish, shooting a bit north of 30% on the college level is turrable, just turrable. I'd take Hayes at 8 if he's still available and the best player available at 10. In such the thin draft this was a tough break.

I might shop both 8 and 10 to move up to 3 and take Barrett.

edited May 2019

Yeah, I penciled in Hayes at 8 and was really stuck on who I would look at in the 10 spot. Would need to do more research now they the order is set. Particularly with the 2nd round assets Schlenk has to work with as well a trade up could happen.

Don't think you could move that high with those picks, might could get to the Lakers 4 spot if you added someone they wanted from the current Hawks team.

This draft is so top heavy it might be better to just stay with the eight and 10 and hope someone flashes. I see no point in trading up unless you could actually get a top three pick. I just don't see any GM in his right mind doing that deal.

edited May 2019

No way I'd give up 8, 10 and a desirable player off the current roster to move up to 4. I think 8 and 10 should be enough for the 3rd pick. I don't think I'd give up both 1st rd picks unless I could get Barrett.

I might move #8 and our early 2nd rd pick to move up for either Culver or DeAndre Hunter if possible.

edited May 2019

dawgtimafam. Hunter, White or Culver might end up being close to as good as Barrett, but obviously Barrett looks like the 3rd best prospect in this draft. Last year there was all kinds of talent below #3.

edited May 2019

Which positions do you think we're targeting? Id imagine pg and power forward are covered, is everything else fair game? I kind of like jaxson Hayes at center.

Yes, while we won't know for a few years, id say last year's draft was quite a bit deeper than this years.

I think in general defense has to be the focus. You don't have to be top 5 in defense to win in today's game but you can't be last which the Hawks are close to being. Defense and another off the ball scorer would be my main two goals.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm just happy I don't have to deal with millions of Knicks fans puffing out their chests all over the city tomorrow. They're already insufferable.

PTDawg. Not only were The Hawks last in scoring defense in The NBA in 2018/2019, they gave up more PPG than any team in the past 27 years...YIKES ! If we'd had a decent draw we might have landed both Hunter and Jaxson, 2 of the best defensive players in this draft.

edited May 2019

dawgitimafan. Center (Jaxson) SG/SF ( Hunter or Culver). It's possible either Hunter or Culver slips to #8, not likely but possible. If Jaxson then slipped to 10th, we'd have a good draft on paper.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I need to look a little deeper, but if we can get Culver at #8 (seems unlikely) and either Rui Hachimura or Bol Bol in the top 10, I would be pretty happy. I think with the schedule this team is on, still a couple years from the playoffs, I wouldn't trade both picks unless you could realistically get inside the top 3. I'm not sure Schlenk wants to do that; hitting on two top 10 quality picks can do wonders for a young franchise. Not saying that's likely, because the NBA draft is truly a crapshoot once you get past the surefire talents, but rolling the dice with multiple picks seems prudent right now. We'll see.