Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Hawks drew picks 8 and 10...we got hosed...

Comments

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our GM is still linked to GS because of his success. So, to put things in perspective....

Steph Curry was taken at #7

Klay Thompson was taken at #11

Draymond Green was taken at #35

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly feel they need to make a move up a few spots. Culver or Hunter will more than likely be long gone....Culver was my hope if they did not squeeze in the top 3. Get up to 5th-6th and they have a much better shot to land one. Should be able to keep one of the other picks as well.

Hawks just needs some excitement. Braves got theirs from Albies and Acuna. Hawks need to find a couple young ins people want to watch.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bleacher Report mock draft has the Hawks taking Reddish at 8 and Romeo Langford at #10. Both of those guys certainly fit our roster needs for some playmaking wings, but their shooting inefficiency, especially from 3, makes me a little queasy. Reddish looks like he has great potential, he just didn't put much of it together at Duke.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

There is a history of great players picked late. Gotta hope to draft guys like examples below who in there drafts were consider projects, not talented, etc. Obviously it’s better to pick sooner but hopefully they can land a solid contributor with one of the two. Guys below are just ones who come to mind from the playoffs, didn’t include obvious blasts from past like Kobe, Manu, Parker’s

Giannie- 15

Mcollum-10

Paul George-10

Klay- 11

Draymond -2nd Rd

Milsap- 2nd rd

Donovan Mitchell- 13

Gobert- 2nd rd

Lowry - 24

Kawhi- 15

Siakim -27

Jokic- 2nd rd

Rozier-16

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't want Reddish. He shot 35% or there about at Duke, potential doesn't move my meter when a player can't shoot at the college level. I think he's likely to be a dime a dozen role player.

The more I look at this the more I think The Hawks could end up with very little value for 2 1st rd and 3 2nd rd picks in this draft.

I'm thinking do what it takes to move up and take either Jarrett Culver or Deandre Hunter, then make a risk/reward pick and take Frenchman Sekou Doumbouya with the other 1st rd pick. I'd move all 3 2nd rd picks if that is what it takes to land Culver or Hunter. Doumbouya won't turn 19 till 2 days before Christmas. The team can afford to let him grow and develop in Europe for a year or 2. If he develops near his potential we'd end up with a defensive monster who could run the floor with the best in The NBA.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im not sure that means as much as it would with an older player coming out after several years of college. He did that as a true freshman in his first year ever playing as a spot up and shoot option rather than the #1 option. He is definitely worth a flyer at 8 and definitely 10.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Ever since the Ewing draft, I’ve dismissed the lottery as rigged. However, NO is not a major market team, so I’m surprised they landed at #1. This draft will be a step forward for the Hawks, but likely keeps us as a non-serious playoff team for three years down the road. We just lack a superstar.

Bank. Maybe Reddish will prove to be a shooter, but I wouldn't take the risk, he's a bit of a pig in the poke at best shooting wise.

EDawg537. We already have a space tackler on our football team. Richard Lecounte tackles empty space on a regular basis.

• MiddleDawgMiddleDawg Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hunter and Hayes would be my preference here.

I'd package up #8 and Prince or #8, #35, and a roster player for Cleveland's #5. I don't think the Lakers will trade back and I think we can get Hunter at #5. I prefer Hunter over Culver based on Hawks need for a really long defender that can also rebound. He seems to be able to create a little better than Culver, but who knows how they improve from rookie to year 3.

For #10 we can get Hayes, Doumbouya, or Bol Bol. Keep an eye on Bitadze - young, big body with range. he's getting more press. We could trade back and still get him.

There may be some hidden gems in second round -would be huge if we get Kris Wilkes or Louis King at SF.

Finally i think Keldon Johnson and PJ Washington will be solid pros

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prince is a solid rotation player, I wouldn't give him up to move up 3 spots

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No excuses for the Hawks brass. Whether they trade up, trade back or remain where they r, they have to leverage these 5 picks in the upcoming draft to solidify their young core lead by SUPERSTAR, BOX OFFICE PG Trae Young and RISING 🌟 John Collins. After HOPEFULLY acing that, I can c this being a VERY EXCITING AND FA friendly .500 basketball team in 2019/2020.

edited May 2019

MeR. I agree. This will probably be the last time for many years we'll have 2 top 10 picks and 3 picks in the 2nd rd. We don't need numbers though, we need a couple of difference makers.

I would consider using all 3 2nd rd picks as leverage. Do whatever it takes to move up for either Hunter or Culver without giving up the other 1st rd pick. I'd trade every 2nd rd pick to move up from 8th to 5th to land either of those guys. With the 10th pick I've said Jaxson Hayes for a long time, I'm now leaning to taking French SF/PF Sekou Doumbouya though. He has similar defensive upside to Hayes with far more offensive upside. He won't turn 19 till Dec. 23rd. I'd sign him and let him play in Europe for a year or 2. By the time he's ready we could have an elite player, a baby Giannis type.

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

three second rounders won’t get you to 5. It wouldn’t get you to 7.

edited May 2019

mantis. I don't know if you're correct or not.

My guess is it depends on the potential trading partner. If the team needs more than a player or 2 and they like a player they think will be there at 8, sure, I could see them both getting their guy and players who might add depth. Unless a team wants Hunter or Culver there isn't much difference in the 5th pick and the 8th pick.

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In the NBA there’s most definitely is. A couple years ago the Celtics offered the hornets four 1sts and teo 2nds to move from 16 to 9. Charlotte turned it down. It’s not like the NFL. The difference from 5 to 8 is huge.

Mantis...that seems unlikely.

I'm not saying it isn't correct because I don't have the facts. I do know I can't recall anything remotely like giving up 4 ist rd picks for a single 9th pick, that would be insane.