Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Which current NBA player would have the most value on the open market ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2019 in Basketball

Given the amount of interest and apparent value of Anthony Davis I wonder if other players might have even more value in his situation ?

In my opinion Giannis would be the ultimate prize given his age and impact on a team. The kid is just 24 years old. He is on a Bucks' roster that would probably be sub-500 without him. With him they are 3 wins from making The Finals. Only Lebron has been that kind of difference maker in this century. Put The Greek Freak on just about any good roster and you have an instant championship contender.

Agree, disagree, don't care ?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Giannis and it isn’t even close

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. There are other guys that it also be nice to build around but if you combine impact with youth/longevity I think Giannis is in a class by himself.

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree on Greek Freak. Trying to follow playoffs but finding myself not really caring... Is it college football season yet??

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you have to go with Durant due to his shooting, Giannis a close second

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1) Durant

2) Curry

3) Giannas

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Giannis and it's NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE. In fact the only player in the last 25 years or maybe EVER to display this combination of sheer size, jawdropping athleticism, Basketball IQ, Passing ability, rebounding ability on both ends, scoring ability, can capable defend any position on the court..... Durable. He's a bigger and POTENTIALLY much better version of 1 LeBron James, and that should absolutely terrify the rest of the Eastern Conference and NBA at large.

If Anthony Davis was as durable as say, Karl Malone was in his day, then he would or could enter that convo. Ditto for Joel Embid. But that's about it. Giannis doesn't have any red flags so he's the SLAM DUNK choice. 😎😎😎

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

hes now won 2 playoff series in his career. Lebron took a team to the finals at 22. Settle down there buddy

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He also came from Greece much more raw than Lebron did coming into the league, and let's be honest, the Eastern Conference has been garbage for years, but it was particularly bad then, and Lebron didn't have another Lebron to deal with like Giannis did. I also think Giannis is much more about "keeping the main thing, the main thing", and I am not a Lebron hater at all.

• JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would have to go KD. He’s the best scorer in the league, but not to the detriment of his team like harden. Can also play decent defense. GA can’t take a game over on offense like KD

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

3 thoughts:

1) Giannis Is the only correct answer

2) comparing a 24 yr old Giannis to LeBron is as silly as comparing a 24 yr old LeBron to MJ was

3) saying the bucks would be sub-500 without Giannis is so disrespectful to the rest of there roster. They were 5-2 in games Giannis didn’t play and Bledsoe, Middleton, Lopez, & Brogdon did. 2 of those wins were versus Boston and Toronto. Giannis’ win shares was 14. 46-36 is well over .500. It is imperfect and just an estimation but it is very unlikely that it is off by 11. Middleton is an all star caliber player, Bledsoe and Lopez are well above average starters, and Brogdon is a prototype role player. Lastly, they play in the East where the Pistons managed to get to .500 .

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I agree KD is great, but Giannis is much younger so that’s the edge for me

• JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m thinking a one season signing. If I get to choose one person to build my team around to win the ship next year I’m picking KD. If we’re talking about the next 10 years then yes, it’s Giannis. Or Zion (just kidding)

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I stick by my comment, I think The Bucks would be somewhere around.500 without Giannis.

The 2018/2019 Hawks would take this Bucks team w/o Giannis 6 games in a Playoff Series on the sheer Brilliance of their fabulous young PG.

With Giannis they sweep the Hawks and Giannis reduces John Collins to tears. This Giannis may b the most gifted Basketball player any of us has ever seen and some of the older guys on this forum remember KAJ. At 24 years old all he needs is a jumper and does anyone on hear not believe that it's only a matter of time before he checks that box too? Frightening.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Who is KAJ ?

Edit...oh Jabar. In all the years I followed him I don't recall his initials being used.