Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw today that Showtime is starting work on a series based on Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle(The Name of the Wind). Apparently it's going to start out in a prequel form set before the start of TNOTW.

I wonder if they are doing this to try to lessen the chance of getting stuck waiting on Rothfuss to finish like GoT did with GRRM.

I really loved the books and wish Martin..err Rothfuss would finish the third one. If it's done well I'm definitely interested though I find it hard to believe that Showtime has the resources to do anything like HBO did with GoT.

On the other hand, the more story driven and less CGI dragon obsessed earlier years of GoT were the best IMO. As long as this doesn't have just laughable effects it could be good. Anyone else interested or know more about it?

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote right now - nonfiction account of a mass murder in rural Kansas in the late 50's. Interesting insight into the minds of remorseless killers.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Started reading the FairTax books by Neal Boortz. Pretty dang interesting stuff. This was recommended to me by one our members. Good call.

Ha, Ol Neal. I hadn't heard that name in years. I always liked his tax plan but of course it will never happen.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    @scooterdawg I am definitely interested in seeing what comes here. I think kingkiller chronicles could be just as strong as GOT and for much less budget. Its really more character driven and the FX side of production wouldn't need a huge budget. Showtime has done some good things in the past, not thw same track record as HBO, but far from being bad too. 

I would happily trade it all in for book three to be published though.

I agree completely. If done well it's a really good property to have. Fantasy's big and Rothfuss' books are very popular with real fantasy readers. I'm more interested in a good showing of Kingkiller Chronicle than I really am in the Amazon Lord of the Rings thing.

Yeah, wish he'd finish the book..or at least not put out more filler until he does.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think every open minded and intellectually curious American should read Henry George and Howard Zinn. Many conservatives act as if reading Zinn's A People's History of The United States will lead to anarchy. It's focus on the millions of Americans affected by great events as opposed to the few people seen as the key leaders like almost every history book most of us have read is worthwhile reading.

George's criticism of wealth accumulated by passive investments and inheritance has a very contemporary feel in this age where more wealth is concentrated in a smaller percentage of the population than ever before.

I'm not an absolutist. I think Lenin and Ayn Rand were equally FOS. What I take from George and Zinn is a belief that we need balance along with checks and balances in our essentially free market economy.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'George's criticism of wealth accumulated by passive investments'

Someone is actively using that capital. One who has capital but not the ability or desire to best use it lends to someone who does. Good for all.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    I’m reading the sopranos sessions by sepinwall. Must read for any fan of the show
  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do they keep picking stories that the authors refuse to finish? The Kingkiller chronicles are some of the best I've ever read. But I've flat out given up on the 3rd and final book coming out.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’m a big history buff. If you’re my age (50) or above, you remember the Iranian hostage crisis. (Still pisses me off to this day.). “Guests of the Ayatollah” is a book written by Mark Bowden. It’s an amazing read about that series of events. Bowden also wrote Blackhawk Down and other military / action non-fiction books. Great writer. Another fiction book is A Prayer for Owen Meany written by John Irving. It’s funny, captivating and full of great characters.
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prayer for Owen Meany is one of the classics in American Lit IMO. Nice call.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

for the KKC fans have y'all read the short story, the novella, and the poem he wrote that go along with KKC?

I finished name of the wind for the second time this weekend. going to re-read the wise man's fear soon

while it is probably misplaced I hope to see the doors of stone in 2020 or 2021

edited June 2019

I'm starting a classics binge. Just finished In Cold Blood and beginning The Count of Monte Cristo.

By Alexandre Dumb-ass

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

Had my kids read the kids version of Zinn's book last summer. Important reading.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just finished Bare faced Messiah. A pretty detailed look at the life of L Ron Hubbard.

Many parallels to today as well. Was a fascinating read.

Th original film In Cold Blood is really good, but nowhere near as retailed and biographical as Capote's book.