Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Could student loan “reform” wreck college athletics?

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Go to your local school board meetings and tell them you want mandatory financial literacy courses. Vote them out if they refuse. 
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some may not know this but the state of California provided free college education for every resident who qualified for decades. That didn't stop them from having great college football programs. Also high school education is free in this country yet high school sports thrive.

Kids love sports, they won't stop showing up for try outs.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son will be a junior in high school this coming school year. One of his classes is a financial literacy class. We also plan on applying for every applicable scholarship we can to get him through college. Kids can also look for jobs in companies that will pay for furthering education. It may not be a job you really want but having your higher education paid for is not a bad sacrifice to make.

• ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the things I've talked to both of my daughters about for years is the importance of taking your expected salary into account when looking at the cost it takes to get the required degree from their school of choice.

Attending NYU for an english degree is "probably" a terrible idea.

Yaledawg. I think personal finances should be taught in every high school in this country. It's not important for kids from a business family, but for many kids it would teach them basics they have to try to pick up ad hoc now, if they ever do.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Umm, so you're assuming that all schools are not only going to allow anyone to go for free but are going to accept anyone who applies? All academic standards and even the need to make entrance test scores, do schoolwork, pass exams, or the many other things required to graduate are going to go by the wayside in this liberal nightmare of yours? Schools will just take anyone who applies, reputation and standards be damned?

Poor kids who use football as a way to better themselves are just going to quit football since they can go for free at whichever 3rd rate school will take them? Because obviously when you're a poor kid from the inner city or dirt poor podunkville the structure of playing a sport will become unnecessary since our school systems do such a great job of graduating kids who DON'T play a sport right?

But I'm sure that this isn't at all another example of the world according to Bankwalker...ie.."this is how I see the world and anyone who doesn't agree is at best dumb and misguided", complete with anecdotal evidence such as a niece.

Now Bank, are you really worried about the demise of student athletes or did you see something about political candidates from a party you don't like talking about student loans and it chapped your ass? Are you worried about female athletes or are you really worried about "spoiled kids" getting something that you didn't? I honestly wonder if there might be better forums for you to discuss all the stuff that's wrong with the world today with likeminded people? Probably no such place in today's world. 🙄

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I volunteer with a young lady at church that went to UGA for 4 years on student loans to work in non-profits. Bless her heart the only job she could find was working in the children's section of the local library. She will never be self sustaining and pay off those loans by herself.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

I believe most, if not all, student loans are forgiven after 10 years of paying a percentage of salary. This is known before the person ever starts working and accruing other debts. The people who say they cannot afford student loan debt are unable to do so because they elect to live at a higher lifestyle rather than budget accordingly.

Probably should have been your TLDR there: I BELIEVE something but can't be bothered to find any evidence AND if someone finds themselves in an adverse situation then it is ALWAYS their fault and it would never happen to me since I'm a genius. With a healthy dose of "lazy generationals", "silly libs", and "get off my lawn" condescension for fun. 😀

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This has the potential to be the most impactful story in college sports since the passing of Title IX. Paying athletes for their likeness will open Pandora's Box and ruin college sports. A lot of people will certainly disagree, but what California is attempting to do will go far beyond just the athletes in that state.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
  • GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of the stories on here... I never cease to be amazed at how many people **** at life.

edited June 2019

I realize there is a strong dislike on the part of many of today's ''conservatives'' to helping anybody who actually needs help. Give tax breaks and ''incentives'' to billionaires, sure, lets do more of that. When it comes to helping those who need help it just rubs these people wrong though.

Ok, that's my soap box rant for today. Lets get back to this particular issue. California's decades long experiment in paying for college education helped that state in becoming the strongest and largest economy in The USA. They reached a tipping point where it wasn't economically feasible though. It isn't a bad idea as a society to have free college education anymore than having free public high schools was a bad idea when it was implemented. We are a far stronger and richer nation because we're all guaranteed access to education through 12th grade. The devil as often is the case is in the details. The direct cost to taxpayers would be enormous. That wouldn't be a net cost to the country though and it might actually end up being a net gain over the long haul, just as free primary education has been. Still it would be very ''taxing'' in the foreseeable future.

As far as forgiving student loans, again not an inherently bad idea, not at all. Again though, the devil is in the details. The cost even by Bernie's estimate would be taunting. In this political climate where most Americans would rather save a buck on their taxes than have 21st century infrastructure and a balanced budget, it is probably a bridge to the future too far. Also it would in affect be punitive to families who pay their way now and would surely lead to many of them taking what would in reality be grant money, since it wouldn't have to be paid back.

So completing this circle of thought, what it would end up being is universal free college tuition. Can we afford it and is there political will to do it. The answer to the first question is yes, if we were willing to pay say an extra 3% in taxes it could be done. The answer to the second question is in all likelihood no, people today want lower taxes more than safe bridges, healthy well educated citizens and a balanced budget.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @scooterdawg. I quit reading your drivel after the first sentence when you incorrectly stated what I assume.   I believe you and Levander were the same person.   Same intellect and logic.   

@WCDawg. You said California pays “if you qualify”.   What are the qualifications?  
    edited June 2019

The qualifications WERE meeting certain academic standards. They discontinued the practice because the lower taxes movement made it a choice between continuing to pay for college or balancing the budget. Nationally we no longer make choices to improve the country or pay our bills. Also if your aim is to make this about immigration, count me out, I won't respond.