Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Could student loan “reform” wreck college athletics?

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

By work I mean the type that builds and produces things. That is what tech and trade schools are meant to turn out people who do the ''work'', of course we need people to manage things as well.

We don't have a shortage of managers though, we do have a shortage of skilled technicians.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely which is why it's a great time to become a skilled tradesman. There's a lot of money to be made, especially for those with an entrepreneurial bent.

I have a friend from High School, one of the smartest people I grew up with and despite going to tech, still a good guy. Instead of going into engineering, he elected to become an electrician and then start his own business. He's making a killing and probably doubles the salary of the typical corporate manager.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    The “We should do what Cali does because their economy” argument. 

Hmmmm....I wonder why the most famous state of the union with the largest population, the most international companies and the highest cost of living and tax rate would make the most money? What a mystery! 
    edited June 2019

I don't recall anybody saying we should do what Cali does. I'm Sorry if supplying real world facts offends some posters. FYI Cal was far from the state it became when it first implemented free college for all qualifying residents of the state. The cart didn't come before the horse.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    Cassie Fartz...try to be nice. You wouldn’t like WC when he’s angry. And nor does anyone else. 

I get this is a touchy subject but let’s try to be cool
    edited June 2019

Kasey. I was just drawing attention to who made the first negative comment aimed at a poster. That is typical, but yeah, piss me off and I'm not a nice person.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    @WCDawg I saw it. Wanted to make sure I addressed it before it devolved. You’re right (THIS TIME 😉)

Again, the comment that I drew attention to is very typical of how the shiit first hits the fan in some threads. Don't start no trouble, won't be no trouble.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are thousands of reasons California has a great economy. Free college may have had a slight positive impact, but in no way deserves any more that a sliver of the credit for a great economy and the emergence of silicon valley. You can tell that lie to somebody else.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    First things first:  Does anyone question that the majority of athletes at a school like Troy are there for the free education?  

WCDawg, so California used to have a system like HOPE but it went bankrupt, or what?  California attracted wealthy people because of climate and location.  Those people invested in business there because they wanted to be in California, not because education was free.   If it were cold in California and located away from the ocean then the business success would not have resulted no matter how many free rides were given away.  

You are correct that ifree education didn’t prevent the schools from fielding sports teams (nor Georgia), but the majority of football, basketball, baseball, and some other sports are granted special admissions compared to the rest of the student body.   The opportunity to gain admission to the school via preferential treatment and then remain for free after quitting the team was not available like it would be if school were simply free for everyone.   

A school like UGA is not what Im talking about, either.   Take UAB or Ga Southern, for example.   Neither is at the upper echelon of the academic realm.  Good schools, just not talked about academically.   If someone can get in to Ga Southern or UAB, then there are a lot of other schools they can also get in to that are perhaps closer to home and just as good academically.   I am theorizing that over time kids from Marietta would decide not to subject themselves to the rigors of being a student athlete in Statesboro if he/she could also attend KSU or Ga State for free?  Particularly someone playing OL or DL.  Those guys have to balloon their bodies up to somewhat unhealthy levels, play hurt all the time, and take a real beating playing the game.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Cassie Fartz"... LMAO, good one. Yes we must all play in the sandbox together.

Graydawg, ''a slight positive impact'', come now, and free public high schools have had a slight positive impact on literacy rates.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a website that lists all available scholarships. I'll get the website address when he goes back to school from his counselor and get it to you. There are probably more out there that he won't qualify for but I'm willing to wade through them to find anything he will qualify to receive. My sister in law said she talked to some companies when her grandson graduated that told her they have many scholarships go to waste every year simply because nobody applies for them. That is just crazy to me.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's awesome, thanks so much! We're a long ways from college but it'd still be nice orient myself with the possibilities.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

So basically, my drivel aside, Bankwalker "thinks" that California did this or that, he's "sure" that he knows why people go to a school like Troy, and as a guy from Cobb, Co Georgia he knows the real way of the world in general. Sure seems like a lot of anecdotal evidence to me, but it IS Bank so whether it's men's fashion, cooking, or education, he's likely right. 🙄

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    So I did some math regarding the cost of college at UGA that gives more context to this debate.
    $27,450 is expected yearly cost
    $109,800 for 4 years
    $61,480 if the student has Zell (full hope)
    $56,480 assuming the student gets $5000 in general scholarships
    $14,120 per year at this point
    Let's assume the student has a part time job at $8 per hour and works 20 hours a week 48 weeks a year.
    $7,680 per year is the income
    $6,440 per year is still owed if all income goes towards tuition and fees
    Extrapolating over 4 years that gives us:
    $25,760 which will need to be paid by the parents or taken out as loans by the student who had Zell, a good amount of money from outside scholarships, and worked a lot for a full time student that graduated on time. 

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg Just a side note: Try to hire someone for $8 an hour. We can't even find a dishwasher right now for $12/hour.

The jobs my friends worked paying their way thru school were internships where they took a semester off working for companies like IBM, but I'm not sure there are enough of those to go around for every student. Just saying $8/hour is a pretty low number in Trump's Economy and Obama's welfare system. Ain't nobody working for that amount of money these days.

Inflation in higher education has definitely outpaced wage growth and other economic indicators. I would agree it can be more challenging today to work your way through school than back in the 90's.

@Kasey Curious behavior for a moderator to "like" the completely idiotic comment by the Schifftard above that had absolutely nothing at all to do with the conversation people are having in this thread, and was nothing but an attempt to provoke a fight on his part.

Poor @scooterdawg doesn't know how to win a debate like I do with him and is absolutely dying to contest something ANYTHING I've said, but he can't find the right opportunity so he just drops in with a couple of random attacks. Save up your angst for the rare occasion when I say something incorrect . It does happen from time to time.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    It would wreck the economy before I worried about sports. The money wasnt the “evil banks” it was actual real peoples. It doesn’t grow on trees.