Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We currently have 15 DB with my "ideal" of 14. Of the 15 McGhee and Reed will definitely be gone leaving 13. Additionally I see up to 3 likely entering the portal between now and this time next year. Depending on the line-up there are a number of players that could declare for early entry namely LeCounte, Stokes and Daniel. I would expect that 1 of these go also. That would leave us with 9 (15-2-3-1) and a theoretical 5 openings. I have had 4 since January although I did have a period where I dropped it to 3 based on consensus here. I really think we will need 4.

• Options
    VirginiaDawgVirginiaDawg Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks, @SoFL_Dawg. I would guess level of competition matters to Staff, but how much? Do they care as much, less , or more about their in-person evaluations and measurables when making calls about the where these athletes fall on the board?

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand it is unrealistic, but both Cox and Anderson played as Freshman, and really started to come on late. they have 18 months to develop their bodies in UGAs S&C/Nutrition programs (basically as long as they've already been here) before they need to be at the combine. Both players would also have 2 full seasons to improve on their issues that you listed above. IMO nobody on that defense is going to be putting up crazy stats, because we have so many capable guys, and they will be rotating in and out to stay fresh all game. Also look at Alabama & Ohio St. that is the model that we are moving towards, they have guys sit and wait, have one good year and go pro after that one year. This scenario might be unrealistic, but so was Holyfield, Ridley, Nauta, Hardman, Holloman, Ford, Fields all in the same off-season (after early signing day). I'm not trying to totally disagree with you, because I respect what you are saying, but Kirby got caught with his pants around his ankles after the Sugar Bowl in regards to how many guys he thought were leaving, and how many that actually did (not talking about Holloman). I just don't want to see that happen again. These kids that we recruit now have 2 things in mind, 1) Make it to the NFL 2) win a National Championship. There is less loyalty and passion about the University of Georgia for these recruits/players that we are getting now, than even maybe 3-4 years ago. They will leave in a heart beat.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Thats thought out for sure, but alot is based on a worst case scenario where most leave early (transfer/NFL). I do agree on potentially losing atleast 1-2 to the Draft in Lecounte and Stokes and also 1 to the portal.

@SoFL_Dawg Hit a lot of the points above too.

If Ringo commits, he is expected to make the 2 deep right away. Kimber could use a RS year for weight gain, go would still get his 4 games.

I think we need to add at least 1 safety prospect in this class for depth next season (Safety / Star ). Looking ahead 2021 should be a 2 Safety class.

• Options

Also love Smith but he could put his future first (wouldn't blame him) and feel that he could be a starter elsewhere. Brini and Speed and even Webb may have a similar decision to make if they don't get meaningful time this year. That's why I have 2-3 entering the portal. If Webb (or any of the others) breaks out this year he may also decide to leave with Swift. Anyway you look at it, with a good team season some are going to test the NFL water and some greener pastures. Few want to just be ST players unless they get a chance to stand out which is really KR and PR.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Solid points here too. I think depending on how the season goes and the feelings of players leaving by the staff, we could see a late 4th DB slot potentially open up but i think if its merely for depth purposes to get through 2020, id suspect another Juco or Grad transfer move to happen.

• Options
    dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brenton Cox is a mystery. From watching him I dont think he is athletic and twitchy enough to really step up. Vert disappointing

• Options
  • Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen @SoFL_Dawg.

The NFL is for the very elite. Yes we have very elite players - but they are not all elite regardless what their high school stars suggest.

We will certainly start seeing more 3 and out players each season - but I believe most players will head lessons learned last year.

Although very limited opportunities last year - Beal and Azeez showed real pass rush ability last season.

And you are exactly correct - only 3-4 guys in that OLB group will get the majority of snaps. They may all be good and highly rated - but there will be a couple that separate from the group.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You have more inside knowledge than most on here, so I will trust your insight here.

However, I'll just remind the board what we all know. Just because you aren't an NFL player based on your college production, doesn't mean you can't and won't declare as soon as possible. Everybody in that room has NFL size. Will Cox & Anderson as 5 stars really want to sit on the bench for 2 years while younger newer guys play ahead of them? I'd say no. So something will change their by or before the end of 2020, which brings me back to my initial point of turnover in the OLB & ILB room after the 2020 season. There are too many talented guys too close together eligibility wise.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

@dgd829 fair point. You’re right, anyone can leave at any time, regardless of performance. I don’t think they’ll ride the bench. I especially like AA because he can be an elite pass rusher as he adds strength and mass to his frame.

It is also likely that we see some form of attrition from those rooms, especially the ILB room.

• Options
    Tahoma2StepTahoma2Step Posts: 252 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am still bullish on Cox!

This discussion has been closed.